Sears Roebuck by Testa Germany

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
tinroof

Sears Roebuck by Testa Germany

Post by tinroof »

Another mystery but I have run out of refrences to check. Tang stamp says "Sears Roebuck Co, then Germany on 2nd line. Sears changed brand name to J C Higgins for sporting goods products in 1948, and previous tang stamping was "Sears Roebuck" apparently back as far as 1902 ('02 Sears catalog). At some time Sears must have contracted some knives to a German manufacturer. I found a comment that suggested "TESTA - SOLINGEN", however I cannot find any info on Testa. I do see some online auction listing for Testa which do appear similar to my knife.
Any info about date this knife was made and / or by whom would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
MVC-001S.JPG
MVC-003S.JPG
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Re: Sears Roebuck by Testa Germany

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

tinroof wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:44 pm Another mystery but I have run out of refrences to check. Tang stamp says "Sears Roebuck Co, then Germany on 2nd line. Sears changed brand name to J C Higgins for sporting goods products in 1948, and previous tang stamping was "Sears Roebuck" apparently back as far as 1902 ('02 Sears catalog). At some time Sears must have contracted some knives to a German manufacturer. I found a comment that suggested "TESTA - SOLINGEN", however I cannot find any info on Testa. I do see some online auction listing for Testa which do appear similar to my knife.
Any info about date this knife was made and / or by whom would be greatly appreciated.
Couldn't find anything on "TESTA" but I did find that the "SEARS" stamp is associated with Robert Klaas. ::shrug::
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
tinroof

Post by tinroof »

Most definatly another possibility. I have not found any Sears connection to any German supplier. Part of my curiousity is lack of this tang stamp in sale market I have seen, and the time period when it was likely produced. Maybe it is rare because it is not recognized as collectable. I would appreciate the clue you have seen between Sears and Robert Klass, if that is a history link to pursue. Thanks for your response. Ray
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

tinroof wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:13 pm Most definatly another possibility. I have not found any Sears connection to any German supplier. Part of my curiousity is lack of this tang stamp in sale market I have seen, and the time period when it was likely produced. Maybe it is rare because it is not recognized as collectable. I would appreciate the clue you have seen between Sears and Robert Klass, if that is a history link to pursue. Thanks for your response. Ray
Just google these three words, sears robert klaas and see what pops up. It's klaas, not klass.
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
tinroof

Post by tinroof »

There was apparentally a deal between Klaas and Sears, but no links that are of this time period that relate to my knife. That may be lost in the archives, certainally Sears Roebuck Co - Germany tang stamp, as well as J C Higgins are both not current, further the company files are closing, except what is on line catalogs, ect. Guess I'll keep watching for a new historical posting. I am confident that Sears sold this knife in mid-1940's to 1948 and that it was manufactured by "some" German maker === glad I found it !!
My Thanks for your response and information. I have gained much from the postings and research files by AAPK contributors. Thanks Ray
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

I have a small fixed blade marked Testa but no other info on the maker.
Attachments
TestaMiniHunter2018-1.JPG
TestaTangStamp.JPG
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
tinroof

Post by tinroof »

Thanks, I appreciate your post of Testa and the tang stamp. Obivously my Sears knife does not have any maker tang stamp, therefore my question. Testa is not a common brand, at least in the resale world I have seen, but the similarity of the handle design and material is a "maybe clue". It will be on my watchlist for more history someday.
THANKS Ray

Return to “European-made knives”