IXL George Wostenholm, Sheffield

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Happy jack

IXL George Wostenholm, Sheffield

Post by Happy jack »

Found knife not marked England,also doesn't have 'oil joint' marking, dark handle looks to be bone, 2 opposing blades , main blade 1 5/8" , 3 line marked IXL George / Wostenholm / Sheffield, pen blade 1 7/26" , 4 line marked IXL / George / Wostenholm
/ Sheffield
OAL 3 3/8
Any information would help
Attachments
IMG958002.jpg
IMG958001.jpg
IMAG3619.jpg
IMAG3620_BURST002.jpg
Rusty1

Re: IXL George Wostenholm, Sheffield

Post by Rusty1 »

Looks like the England is out of view because of the way the blade pivots, you can see what looks like a D on the right side of your pictures. Take a closer look with a magnifying glass. Not sure what dates they started using "oil the joints"

Russell
Happy jack

Post by Happy jack »

thanks Russell, I have looked at these tang stamps under high power magnification and high intensity light. I see a blemish that could look like a D.
I have also noticed that the main blade has a flared edge to the tip. the tip is shaped like a small spear at the last 1/4 inch of the blade. very interesting.
Rusty1

Post by Rusty1 »

Yes indeed, if it does not have the England mark it is an early knife, strange tip too.

Russell
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Rusty1 wrote:Yes indeed, if it does not have the England mark it is an early knife, strange tip too.

Russell
Not necessarily so.Knives that are destined for the home market were not required to have,"England" stamped on them;only ones for export.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!

Return to “European-made knives”