Puuko ID needed...........

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
knife7knut

Puuko ID needed...........

Post by knife7knut »

Posted a picture of this pair I picked up today on another forum.Hoping to find out the manufacturer of it. I am terrible at reading the signatures inside the fullers on puukos and was wondering if someone could enlighten me on this one.
The last sequence of pictures are scanned across the signature.The very last two are the signature on the small knife.Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
HorseheadPuukoSet$17 001.jpg
HorseheadPuukoSet$17 002.jpg
HorseheadPuukoSet$17 005.jpg
HorseheadPuukoSet$17 008.jpg
HorseheadPuukoSet$17Signature 001.jpg
HorseheadPuukoSet$17Signature 002.jpg
HorseheadPuukoSet$17Signature 003.jpg
HorseheadPuukoSet$17Signature 004.jpg
HorseheadPuukoSet$17Signature 005.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Puuko ID needed...........

Post by Quick Steel »

Can't make out the name. Unless you have other information I think the handle may be made out of casein, i.e. a milk protein.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I can't answer your question, but that's a great pair of knives.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Ray, those are great pictures of the signature. I have never been able to read even one of the fuller signatures in my 40 or so signed puukkos. They just look like a bunch of loops strung together. I think the last word (last picture) is "Kauhava" which is the name of a town where lots of puukko makers live & work, in their own shops and in factory operations.
The smaller knife was often used for eating meals, bigger knife for everything else.
It is a very nice set. Note both still have the original sharp pointy tip. Often they have been rounded off by sharpening.
I think only a Finn can read Finnish handwriting. And to complicate things Finnish names have lots of vowels often strung together like "oo" or "aa", "uu", etc. Makes the loopy loops even harder to decipher.
kj
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

kootenay joe wrote:Ray, those are great pictures of the signature. I have never been able to read even one of the fuller signatures in my 40 or so signed puukkos. They just look like a bunch of loops strung together. I think the last word (last picture) is "Kauhava" which is the name of a town where lots of puukko makers live & work, in their own shops and in factory operations.
The smaller knife was often used for eating meals, bigger knife for everything else.
It is a very nice set. Note both still have the original sharp pointy tip. Often they have been rounded off by sharpening.
I think only a Finn can read Finnish handwriting. And to complicate things Finnish names have lots of vowels often strung together like "oo" or "aa", "uu", etc. Makes the loopy loops even harder to decipher.
kj
Thanks for the info Roland;I have the same problem. I am usually pretty decent at deciphering writing but the Finnish knives have me stumped. Thanks to all who responded.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

AAPK needs to go on a campaign to find a couple of Finnish members who can speak some English. I am sure there are knife collectors in Finland who would be happy to help us out.
Although Finland is a small country there are different styles of puukkos depending on which part of the country they came from. This can help narrow down potential makers.
We can't get started because we cannot make out even part of any of the names.
kj
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Update! Joined the Puuko knife owner's group on Facebook and one of the members deciphered all of the puukos I own.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Really ! I need to join the puukko collector group too. My kids signed me up for Facebook years ago but i cannot figure out how to post or find things/people. Can't be hard, about 2 billion people use it.
Can you give a link to this puukko site on FB ?
kj
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

kootenay joe wrote:Really ! I need to join the puukko collector group too. My kids signed me up for Facebook years ago but i cannot figure out how to post or find things/people. Can't be hard, about 2 billion people use it.
Can you give a link to this puukko site on FB ?
kj
Roland:If you are logged onto Facebook;go to the Search bar at the top of the page and type in Puuko Knife Collectors and it will direct you to the site.It is a closed group but all you have to do is click the Join tab and it takes about a day to be approved.That all you have to do.

Return to “European-made knives”