Help identify "Made in Finland" mystery straight blade

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
andrewb

Help identify "Made in Finland" mystery straight blade

Post by andrewb »

Can anyone identify this small straight blade marked "Made in Finland"? There are marking above but I cannot make them out. Any help is appreciated!
Attachments
20190106_205040.jpg
20190106_205044.jpg
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Help identify "Made in Finland" mystery straight blade

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Welcome to AAPK ::welcome:: It would be very helpful to see close up pictures of any of the markings you mention.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Hi and welcome to AAPK. As I understand it, "Made In Finland" on the knife tells us it was made mainly as a souvenir and the other markings are in Finn, which is the maker or possibly the area it was made. I could be wrong and if so, I imagine someone will come along that knows more about these than I do. ___Dave
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Actually "Made in Finland" is on most vintage & new knives whether from a factory or a smith's home forge. It is the only part of the writing on the blade that is readable. Knife maker signs his name in the fuller groove seen on many Finnish blades but this means letters are small and in a writing style that uses lots of loops. As Finnish names often have double vowels like "aa" or "oo" or "uu", the signature looks like a bunch of unreadable loops. This makes it a challenge to ID the knives made by the famous old Masters, like Kuusta Lammi who is sort of like the Loveless of Finland as far as significance goes.
Your knife is old, likely from the time between WW I & WW II. Handle is stacked rings of birch bark, one of the vest best of all handles for comfort and durability. The blade looks similar to the Finnish version of a Boy Scout knife the design of which goes back to about the time of WW I, but the handle & guard are not that of the B.S. knife.
If you are good at sharpening this blade will almost certainly take an edge that is sharper than 99% of other knives. Finnish knives are forged by "smiths" and their treatment of the steel makes for some of the best cutting blades on the planet.
Do you have the sheath ?
kj

Return to “European-made knives”