Ekikanetsugu knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Ekikanetsugu knife

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I picked up this Japanese camper style knife at the first local fleamarket of the season yesterday. I have never heard of this name. It is tang stamped "Ekikanetsugu stainless steel Japan" It is an 8 blade utility type knife with an apparent use for golfers, as it has a green repair tool among the blades. It also has kind of a neat cross shield on both the front and rear handles. The handles are bone, bolsters and pins are steel. Anyone know anything about this one?
IMG_2354.JPG
IMG_2355.JPG
IMG_2356.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
BWT

Re: Ekikanetsugo knife

Post by BWT »

Sorry OC can't help you, but it's a good looking knife. I'll be waiting to hear the other responses. Nice flea market find though ::tu:: ::tu::
Bill
a-c

Re: Ekikanetsugu knife

Post by a-c »

I think you are missing an S at the beginning. Seki Kanetsugu currently makes kitchen knives.

http://www.sekikanetsugu.co.jp/e/07_kaisya.html

Looks like they have a long history.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The name might be correct. This looks similar to knives that came from Japan in 1950's -' 60's, that are marked "Ameike" with a 3 leaf clover logo. There were at least 2 sizes, one being big, about 5". These old ones do not have scissors but the jigged bone handles look to be the same as on your knife.
kj
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

kootenay joe wrote:The name might be correct. This looks similar to knives that came from Japan in 1950's -' 60's, that are marked "Ameike" with a 3 leaf clover logo. There were at least 2 sizes, one being big, about 5". These old ones do not have scissors but the jigged bone handles look to be the same as on your knife.
kj
I think this is a very interesting knife. I looked at the tang stamp again with a good light and a loupe and there could be an "S" at the beginning, although it is much fainter than the rest of the tang stamping. Would a knife that came from Japan in the '50s or "60s have a golfers green tool like this one does, and be stainless steel? I had to laugh at a fellow that I showed this to, he identified this tool as a "pickle fork". Also interesting in that it has the cross shield on both the front and rear handles.
IMG_2357.JPG
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

That IS an eating fork not a greenskeeper tool.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Gunsil wrote:That IS an eating fork not a greenskeeper tool.
Oh, I figured because it was shaped just like a golfers tool and there was no spoon............
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I think the fork is just a fork for whatever use you might have for it: golf, pickles, cigar, etc.
Here are some of the early post WW II Japanese multiblades that bear some resemblence to your knife but are larger, close to 5" closed. There is another model with all the same blades but a closed length of about 3". I think your knife might be a bit more recent like 1960's at the latest. By 1970's Japanese cutlery had become less crude, and more refined.
kj
Attachments
IMGP5161.JPG
IMGP5162.JPG
IMGP5170.JPG
IMGP5171.JPG
IMGP5166.JPG
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Back in the '50s & up into the '60s you would find these types of knives advertised for sale in outdoor magazines for a few dollars. Most of them I remember, came with a holster. Sorry, I don't recall the exact prices but it wasn't much. After all they were coming out of post war Japan and Japanese products didn't get a lot of respect in those days. The workmanship on them was typical Japanese for that period (similar to Pakistan today, maybe a little better).

I don't own one but I found a picture in eBay.
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

And don't forget the tiny ones by Mitsuboshi(not Mitsubishi the automaker).These I think are more recent and pretty decent quality although just about totally impractical.
Attachments
MitsuboshiMultiBladeMini.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

k7k i had a few of the smaller ones and i think they are from the same time period as the big ones. Perhaps the small ones showed up towards the end of the larger ones but not significantly more recent.
The O.P. knife looks to be a little better in the fit & finish so it likely is a bit more recent than the small multi's. By 1970's Japanese cutlery had evolved into a much improved product, so i think O.P. knife is from before ~ 1970.
kj

Return to “European-made knives”