Jas. vicks sons vintage knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Bsels

Jas. vicks sons vintage knife

Post by Bsels »

Hey guys, this is my first post here after identifying tons of my vintage knives using your forum.
A fellow at work started giving me tons of old knives and ive been researching each one just to see when its from and what it was for.
Right now im stumped, I have a knife here with “Jas Vicks Sons” stamped on the tang, on the opposite side it says made in england. It has a small blade maybe 2” but the intriguing part is that on the bottom of the knife is a flat piece of bone or ivory sticking out. I cant figure out anything about what its for or when its from, all my searches of this manufacturer come up with nothing!
Thank you all in advance for any and all help!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
rangerbluedog

Re: Jas. vicks sons vintage knife

Post by rangerbluedog »

That's a budding and pruning (or grafting) knife, but I am not familiar with the maker.

There was a master cutler named James Vickers in Sheffield circa 1760-circa 1800, but not sure if this is him.
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
Bsels

Post by Bsels »

Im so glad you told me at least what it was for, thanks alot. With that info i can find knives that look exactly like it from england but im just super baffled about the stamp on the tang being impossible to find any info on, ive found very old documents online showing businesses paying a company in england called “Jas. Vicks & Sons” but no further info, hopefully someone comes along and can tell me something so i can possibly date this knife and stow it away in the collection!
GerryD

Post by GerryD »

I would suspect that the Jas Vic & sons is likely to be a retailer and had a number of knives made with his retail outlet stamped on them. What are the materials on the budding handle?

Gerry
GerryD

Post by GerryD »

Sorry hadn't read all your post so no need to tell me the material :roll:
GerryD

Post by GerryD »

This might be a place to start looks like they were in the right business
https://openlibrary.org/publishers/Jas._Vick%27s_Sons

gerry
Bsels

Post by Bsels »

Wow thats really cool, i kept searching for knife and metal manufacturers, so now i could definitely try finding some more info, yall are great thanks for the help!
GerryD

Post by GerryD »

You may find more knives with the retailer stamped on the tang, I've got one stamped with the retailer, manufacturer and what I think is the persons name that ordered the knife. I think you will be able to read the tang stamps but just incase the retailer is BAXTER BURY St EDMUNDS the shop is no longer Baxters but an electrical retailer, the make is only marked 82 Tenter Street and Im going for Wade,Wingfield & Rowbottom but other manufactures have also worked from that address and finally the purchaser M Green. There is a very famous brewery in Bury called Greens King but the Green on the tang has not got an 'e' but when this knife was made I suspect the illiteracy was pretty common but hey ho who knows .
Attachments
_DSC2777.jpg
_DSC2778.jpg
_DSC2776.jpg
_DSC2771.jpg

Return to “European-made knives”