I*XL Lambsfoot

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
britishink

I*XL Lambsfoot

Post by britishink »

...i'm thinking 1950/60s ...?
20180727_172628.jpg
20180727_172651.jpg
20180727_172657.jpg
At your service,
Paul Roe
The James Street Parlour
Syracuse, NY
Brumbydownunder

Re: I*XL Lambsfoot

Post by Brumbydownunder »

50's - 60's would be my 'guess' too but it is just that, a guess. I have had a few in hand, the bolster marking seems to have been used over a long period but there may be some subtle differences in the tang stamping that can give a better fix on a date (range)
Are the handles a black rubbery synthetic ? or wood there seems to be some grain showing in the pics?
DSCN5904.JPG
As you can see this was in a sorry state so I gave it a make-over
DSCN6013.JPG
DSCN6492.JPG
Derek
"Belong Where The Moment Finds You"
britishink

Post by britishink »

The handles seem to be some sort of delrin???

There appears to be a slight grain like pattern in each scale maybe a thermoplastic of some sorts IDK ...
At your service,
Paul Roe
The James Street Parlour
Syracuse, NY
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

I have a white version of that same knife.

The only thing I can speculate is that it was made post-Schrade acquisition because the bolsters look to be the same style as a couple of late 70s/early 80s clip point stag I*XL Barlows which came in Schrade-Wolstenholm boxes.
Attachments
27828516301_7a546ecee5_k.jpg
27292446973_eabba5a6cc_k.jpg
27828513141_a0c45c953d_k.jpg
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
britishink

Post by britishink »

Tony that's a beauty, thank you for the info ...
At your service,
Paul Roe
The James Street Parlour
Syracuse, NY
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Tsar Bomba wrote:I have a white version of that same knife.
Tony, that is a real beauty, indeed. What is the white handle material...Bone?...Fossil Ivory? Is it factory or a custom mod? Whatever it is, it really trips my trigger; that is one beautiful Barlow!

~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
britishink

Post by britishink »

I've been looking at that bolster stamp and they are different ...
PhotoGrid_1532795904687.jpg
So maybe not post Schrade ...?
At your service,
Paul Roe
The James Street Parlour
Syracuse, NY
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

QTCut5 wrote:Tony, that is a real beauty, indeed. What is the white handle material...Bone?...Fossil Ivory? Is it factory or a custom mod? Whatever it is, it really trips my trigger; that is one beautiful Barlow!
Thanks, Q! ::handshake:: It's certainly one of my more unique ones. I...actually can't tell what the material is, except I don't think it's bone or ivory. It might not even be original, though I see no signs that it isn't. The knife is currently within a couple boxes in a storage I used to warehouse some of the bulk knives I brought to a show/swap a while back, and I haven't gone to pick them back up yet since I've been doing a lot of remodeling at home.

The white is so uniform on it that it's hard to see some of the telltale signs of bone. It feels dense and heavy but it looks under magnification like it might be some sort of composition, a heavy plastic perhaps or something similar. It definitely doesn't feel like any of the Delrin or old black comp knives I have, but I'm doubtful that it's organic. When I have it in hand again I'll make a better effort to identify the material.
britishink wrote:I've been looking at that bolster stamp and they are different ...
So maybe not post Schrade ...?
Some excellent forensics and I think it's plain from that shot that the machining on the bolster stamps were different. I don't know where that puts us in dating the knife since I don't have many other knives to corroborate my "read" on it, but I included a pic of one of my stag Schrade I*XL Barlows in question (it's the best photo I already had that shows bolster detail, but from before I cleaned the corrosion off). The stamp from my white one more closely matches the stag one, so yours may definitely be older. The "true" Wolstenholm I*XL Barlows in my hoard are all profiled differently and are dated from early to mid-20th but the group is far from comprehensive. It is entirely possible that yours is Wolstenholm's output and that Schrade just used bolster stock/designs when they took over operations in the UK. It's all speculation at this point unless we can find a former Wolstenholm cutler employed around that time to give us the rundown. ::shrug::
Attachments
43702565971_09bdd93417_k.jpg

Return to “European-made knives”