German Lockback knives ?

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Legend

German Lockback knives ?

Post by Legend »

Hello all at AAPK ,
I have a small collection of Pocket / folders and really like a lot of the German style knives . I have a Puma 4 Star Stag and a Boker Tree brand bone gentlemans knife . Can anyone tell me which German make have the best reputation for these type of knives and which ones are actually totally made and assembled in Germany .
Thanks
Mike
tallguy606

Re: German Lockback knives ?

Post by tallguy606 »

It's my understanding that Boker has the Made in Germany knives with "Solingen" on the tang, and the Traditional series made in Spain, etc, that just say Boker.
Legend

Post by Legend »

Thanks
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Legend, I just received a NOS [new old stock] Bull Dog lockback. It is very well made as are the other older Bull Dogs I have acquired. The older generations were manufactured at the well known Olbertz factory or, somewhat later, in the U.S. probably by GEC or Queen. The quality on these knives...in my experience...has always been first rate. I have no interest in the current China made Bull Dogs.

If you will look in the Mail Call thread you will see the Bull Dog lockback I received today.
AR Norby

Post by AR Norby »

It is my understanding that the more expensive PUMA knives are entirely made in Germany and in the less expensive line the blade is made in Germany (if marked Solingen) and the rest of the knife is made and assembled in China.
Perception is Reality
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I have to amend my comment on Bull Dogs that I made above. If you wish you will find my most recent experience with BD which was dusappointing in the Mail Call thread.
stancaiman

Post by stancaiman »

you should take a look on carl schlieper products ( the eye brand) and mercator ::nod::
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

stancaiman, I have a couple of eye brand around here and based on limited experience they seem like well made knives. I do not want to give up on Bulldog based on one flub. I don't know any brand that can't produce a turkey but one hopes it will be a rarity. Well, time will tell as it always does.
Hope you have posted some photos of your German knives. I'll go check. But if not kindly do so. And thanks for your input.
stancaiman

Post by stancaiman »

Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Thanks for the photos. Those are some very sleek contemporary style knives. ::tu::
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

stancaiman wrote:you should take a look on carl schlieper products ( the eye brand) and mercator ::nod::
I only have a couple of Eye brand knives and while they are of good quality the little lockback can be downright dangerous! When closing most knives will go to about a 45 degree angle before the spring takes over to close it completely. On this one it starts at 90 degrees when you least expect it. I've had it close on my finger twice before I stopped carrying it.
Attachments
SchleiperHammerForgedLockback2018 001.jpg
SchleiperHammerForgedLockback2018 002.jpg
SchleiperHammerForgedLockback2018 003.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

K7K, I do not at all appreciate knives with a ferocious bite. Nor do I like knives that require two men and a boy to open the blade. Yet some take these as signs of high quality.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Quick Steel wrote:K7K, I do not at all appreciate knives with a ferocious bite. Nor do I like knives that require two men and a boy to open the blade. Yet some take these as signs of high quality.
Agree 100%. Some of my early folders(a Pal and a Challenge come to mind)require a pair of pliers to successfully open any of the blades.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
stancaiman

Post by stancaiman »

i have not this problem with mine. the mecanism is smooth
alabama

Post by alabama »

boker 1000 or 2000-440c and smooth and german-
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

These are all made in Germany. The bottom pic is a Hubertus folding hunter next to a Case 6165L for size comparison.
Attachments
Duke.jpg
Medici.jpg
011.JPG
BokerMOP.jpg
011.JPG
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
dkonopinski

Post by dkonopinski »

I'm only just getting back to playing on here so a bit late to this thread.

There's some lovely pieces there. Linder make some very sturdy lock-backs in Solingen and seem to be under appreciated in my view. I can't see the one's I have on the Linder Shop website, but have a look here for some images.

http://moonrakerknives.co.uk/linderf.html - I am just a satisfied customer and have no other connection to Moonraker Knives.

It may be that these patterns are no longer available. Shame. Mine were acquired in 2010 & 2012 and I am struggling to find a US site that has them.

David
"Actually, I was looking to gain an edge." - Lone Watie

Return to “European-made knives”