Precise Knife Info

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
tinroof

Precise Knife Info

Post by tinroof »

Got a good looking, well made, lockback w bone handles today. To my surprise I can not find any info on the knife or the maker. Precise aparrently made or sold "Deerslayer" knife, also made in Japan, but nothing else they made. I think it is a keeper for me because it seems to be well made and looks good, but I would like to know more about it. I appreciate any details that you could offer. Thanks.
Attachments
MVC-015S.JPG
MVC-016S.JPG
MVC-017S.JPG
MVC-018S.JPG
MVC-019S.JPG
zzyzzogeton

Re: Precise Knife Info

Post by zzyzzogeton »

PRECISE was Precise Instrument Company.

If you see a knife with a stamp of

PIC or P.I.C.

then that was also a knife SOLD by Precise Instrument Company.

Precise was a NY based company that sold a variety of goods, including knives.

Their knives were made in either Germany or Japan. The knives were decent entry to mid-level knives. I have a 35 - 40 y.o. dive knife from PIC that is still usable, even after it spent a few years lying in the sand of a Grand Cayman dive site for a few years.

Precise is still in business but they quit importing and selling knives either in the late 1980s or early 1990s. The exact date is elusive as they quite importing long before sellers quit selling.
tinroof

Post by tinroof »

Continuing my own research, The legend on the blade was "MOUNTAIN SHADOWS". That is a luxury resort community near Pheonix Arizona. I am guessing they comisioned some custom knives for sale / gifts. Again guessing, some contact used whoever "Black Lightning" as the manufacturer - They show no record of any product before their current market knife (if they are even the same company).
That is a lot of guessing but the knife is a quality production, implying a custom-made price. My comparison is above any Buck model, at least equal to most Puma models. Just my opinion!!
Thank you for the history clues about Precise Instrument.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

I have several models of knives made by PIC(Precise International Corporation);a company or companies that used a number of markings;including Silver Eagle;Bear Paw;Mountain Shadow;and Deer Slayer.
The reason there may have been more than one company is I have a couple that are stamped United States Cutlery Co. Japan and are identical to the Precise branded models. Precise I believe has been around since the 1950's and all of the knives I have by them are very high quality. I also have around somewhere a small .22 cal. blank starter's pistol with the PIC stamping so they imported more than just knives.
Here are some of the one's I own. A couple have Micarta handles and the Big Paw is laminated wood and surprisingly quite comfortable to hold.
Attachments
Precise#0091Knife1.jpg
Precise#0091Knife2.jpg
PreciseBigPaw1.jpg
PreciseBigPaw2.jpg
PreciseDeerSlayerClassic-5 001.jpg
PreciseDeerSlayerClassic-5 002.jpg
PreciseSilverEagle11639.jpg
PreciseSilverEagle#11639-2.JPG
UnitedStatesCutleryJapanMountainShadowLockback1.JPG
UnitedStatesCutleryJapanMountainShadowLockback3.JPG
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
alabama

Post by alabama »

pic=precise international co.-1954-early 1990s I have bought and sold many precise knives from 1980s to now...older ones made in Germany-newer japan. some were inexpensive some not..you can get precise silver eagle knives japan with ugly plasistag handles-have good metal in them I recently put real stag on one c.vandium-handmade stamped...it has a Nordic type blade I like...early stamping=fist with 3 arrows...had boxes marked in small print---precise INTERNATIONAL .....NOT INSTRUMENT CO. I paid 5 dollars for plastistag one from kendal at cecil clark knives Newport ky.---E-store=BLADEMATRIX..
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Yep, INTERNATIONAL, not Instrument. No idea how that brain fart slipped out. :oops:

Return to “European-made knives”