Rodgers Quill Knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
kootenay joe

Re: Rodgers Quill Knife

Post by kootenay joe »

LongBlade, in the post above this one, which knife are you speaking of ?
kj
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Kj - I was referring to both knives and the marks in reply to Gunsil's question as to makers marks below the royal warrant marks - I can't really figure them out but when I enlarged GerryD's knife just above his maker mark (or whatever it is such as a retailer) it is exactly the same as the marks on my GcrownR knife if I am not mistaken - looks like "Fatery" but I may be wrong... the VcrownR knife marks are just so worn it is really difficult to decipher though I noted just above what I think I am seeing... if you enlarge the stamps of both knives you can basically see what I am able to using magnification so if anybody has a better guess please share it...

Cheers
Lee

Post by kootenay joe »

I believe the word is "Patent".
kj
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

kootenay joe wrote:I believe the word is "Patent".
kj
Thanks KJ - ::hmm:: ::hmm:: .. I guess "Patent" is possible and I can see that word as well now that you mention it but just wonder if my brain is seeing patent from the power of suggestion :) ) - but what does it refer to?? Patent as in a patent on the knife or ???

Post by kootenay joe »

"Patent", "Pat. Pending" and a few other similar terms are fairly common on older knives.
Some aspect of the construction of that knife is patented. Could be how the handle pieces are attached, or a bolster design, etc.
If the patent number was known it can be looked up and the original application for a patent can be seen as these records are kept. It is country specific; e.g. a patent taken out in USA is registered with the U.S. Patent office, etc.
kj
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks again KJ ::tu:: ... I indeed understand the word patent but does it date back to the early 1800s and in England?? Perhaps but just never did see any patents from that earlier part of the 1800s.... interesting.....

Note in edit - Just did a quick search and in fact patents started in the 16-1700s - here's a link providing evidence - https://www.bl.uk/help/find-early-british-patents ... I won't have much more time to search this the next few days but will do!!

Post by Gunsil »

Pretty much all pre-1820 or so knives had hand carved stamps used for the markings. This does not mean the marks on the knife were hand carved or engraved in the blade, it means the stamp itself was hand carved. Usually pretty easy to see, letters will often not be so exactly the same as the mark from a machine made stamp. I doubt the mark is a retailer mark, this was not the common practice back then as it became later in the 19th century.

Return to “European-made knives”