Erinmore "fruit" knife: Now I know my picks from my reamers!

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Iain1211

Erinmore "fruit" knife: Now I know my picks from my reamers!

Post by Iain1211 »

A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. I got this knife at a Car Boot Sale this morning for £1. I only discovered pocket knives a couple of weeks ago, and I was hoping to impress my wife when I explained to her that this was a fruit knife, having read about them on this site recently. "The knife cuts the fruit and the long spike spears the pips" I said.
"Are you sure?" she asked "Why is the knife blunt then? It doesn't look like a knife for cutting fruit at all."
"Of course it is" I said "look it's even got a picture of a pineapple on the sides."
She looked up 'Erinmore' on Google and took great pleasure in showing me what it really is, a 1960's pipe knife. Oh the shame.
The spike is a pick, 'a narrow rod or pin that can be used to clear the shank of debris, or to aerate tightly packed tobacco' and the other tool is a reamer: 'a flat instrument shaped like a dull pen-knife blade or a flattened spoon, used to scrape ash and unburned tobacco (dottle) off the sides and bottom of a pipe.' (Wikipedia.) Erinmore tobacco was produced by the Northern Ireland company, Murray, Sons and Company Ltd which began trading in Belfast in 1810.
e1.JPG
e2.JPG
e3.JPG
e4.JPG
FRJ

Re: Erinmore "fruit" knife: Now I know my picks from my reamers!

Post by FRJ »

Welcome here Iain.

Good lesson - Keep learning ............ Hey, that doesn't mean you can't stab a pineapple with it. :)
Joe
Iain1211

Re: Erinmore "fruit" knife: Now I know my picks from my reamers!

Post by Iain1211 »

Thanks Joe. Excellent idea ::tu::
Iain

Return to “European-made knives”