$3.00 Joseph Rodgers, what would you do?

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
americanedgetech

$3.00 Joseph Rodgers, what would you do?

Post by americanedgetech »

I just bought this Joseph Rodgers on FleaBay for 3 bucks.
It is a No. 6 Norfolk Street tang dating it between 1775, and 1929. On the pile side it has the asterisk, and Maltese cross.

Now for the questions.
Is there a method of narrowing down the manufacture date?
The knife is BEAT to near death but I still feel it has historical value so I am curious as to what any of you would do with this knife.

My thought is to dismantle, and re-handle it. Perhaps a light cleaning, and chip repair on the blade, and make it a cool old carry knife.
Do you think I would be wasting or violating this knife in doing so?
I only ask because the condition is so poor I would hate to see it lost to time.

Perhaps just a rust removal, and clean up, leaving the tattered handles, and blade alone?
I would like some advise on this one for sure...

Edit:
If I were to "rebuild" it, I would keep it. I would love to carry a 100 year old knife that I rebuilt but I am sure that plenty of potential "re-builds" will come along. This does not Have to be that knife.

If I were to simply clean it, I would sell it because there is nothing but profit in it even if it were just a few dollars.

Experienced opinion /advice is what I need. Even a howling monkey is more decisive than I am on this knife.
Thanks!
Attachments
s-l1600 (28).jpg
s-l1600 (29).jpg
s-l1600 (30).jpg
s-l1600 (31).jpg
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
FRJ

Re: $3.00 Joseph Rodgers, what would you do?

Post by FRJ »

What!
You wouldn't pack it just like that?
If you would consider selling it I would buy it from you.
Joe
americanedgetech

I had a feeling that would be the first reply... :lol: :lol: :lol: How did I know.

Now EVERY post will be to leave it alone, and sell it... Honestly that is up in the air. I really need to learn more about it before I jump off that cliff.
I will give you dibs tho. ::handshake::
Ken Mc.

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Looks like a serviceable EDC to me. I would just knock off the rust, sharpen out the blade nicks, oil it up and put it in my pocket. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
americanedgetech

Seriously?
That thing is a cheese grater!

I'm not disregarding you guys, and your opinion, I am just surprised.
Are your opinions because of a respect for the maker, and the age? Or is it more of a "romantic" idea of what the history of the knife might be?
I NEED to learn these nuances. ::tu::
Ken Mc.

KleenCut61

Post by KleenCut61 »

I agree With Ken, Liners and Pins ,Bolsters Are Most likely Steel, Would Be a Laborish Resto , Plus id Keep it Just For The Star Cross Stamps..JMO ::tu::Cleaned up it might surprize you< I Do it All the Time .. Coarse You May Not Have A Japan Lapping Tool,? Blades Get Sharper The More There Worn With the Lapping Tool I Use .. ::handshake::
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Regarding the date. England stamp usually means after 1891, and with what look like synthetic scales I would say more to the later date of 1929 although Rogers was in business into the 1970s I believe.
KleenCut61

Post by KleenCut61 »

Being Made In Hiroshima In the Early 1900's Its Unlikely You Would Come Across Any I Have A #320 & #400 ( Missing the # 600 ) Made from A Substance 1 Below Diamond On the Periodic Table According to the literature with them .. Highly Recommended For Knifes ,__ Joe Makes You Wonder what else is out there thou ::woot::
americanedgetech

KleenKut
I have not yet set a tool to a knife other than a couple dozen beaters that were mostly modern screwed together knives.
I have also taken a few pinned folders apart to scavenge what good parts they may have had but that is the extent of it to date.

I have a Kershaw 2120 that needs a bone scale, and that will be my first "re-build" when I find that scale. Then there are a few more that need similar work to build a system for myself, and home in on the tools I prefer for whatever task.
Skill set wise I have no fear. I accomplish everything I set out to. I usually surprise myself as a matter of fact, so no matter what I decide, it will be a little while before I set to it. I am still building my shop, and I won't set off half a$$ed.

This is why I am asking about this particular knife. Just how special is it? Would I be destroying it with vanity or is there a potential good side of rebuilding it?
Ken Mc.

philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

If it were mine I'd soak it in oil overnight then use a No. 2 pencil to remove the active rust. After that I'd get a soft cloth and rub it down, oil the joints, put a good edge on the blade, and put her back to work. If I didn't want to carry it, I'd put it away at that point. No way I'd try to modify it or restore it. It's true beauty is before you now.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
americanedgetech

Gunsil wrote:Regarding the date. England stamp usually means after 1891, and with what look like synthetic scales I would say more to the later date of 1929 although Rogers was in business into the 1970s I believe.
I was wondering about the scales. It does look more like shrinkage than worn wood (ebony?) but I don't have the knife in hand yet.
The date of 1891 (England) is helpful, and the later date of 1929 is when they left the No. 6 address so That does narrow it down a bit.
Now the question of Synthetic handles... When would a Synth. come into play?

quote="KleenCut61"]Being Made In Hiroshima In the Early 1900's Its Unlikely You Would Come Across Any I Have A #320 & #400 ( Missing the # 600 ) Made from A Substance 1 Below Diamond On the Periodic Table According to the literature with them .. Highly Recommended For Knifes ,__ Joe Makes You Wonder what else is out there thou ::woot::[/quote]

I didn't realize that Hiroshima was located inside No.6 Norfolk! I guess that explains a lot.
The rest I knew, and agree... I read it on ReDit yesterday :roll:
Ken Mc.

americanedgetech

philco wrote:If it were mine I'd soak it in oil overnight then use a No. 2 pencil to remove the active rust. After that I'd get a soft cloth and rub it down, oil the joints, put a good edge on the blade, and put her back to work. If I didn't want to carry it, I'd put it away at that point. No way I'd try to modify it or restore it. It's true beauty is before you now.
That sounds like a fair compromise.
I have a friend that just told me to "Stop Thinking". He said it's not working out for me so far...
The handles are going to bug the begeebers out of me tho. ::nod::
Ken Mc.

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Buy more Jos. Rodgers knives, ones in better condition. There are plenty out there and some good ones can be had at times for little money.
Instead of asking others, ask yourself what YOU want to do with your $3 knife and then do it.
When a blade is that worn down you are into a thicker section of the blade so an edge will have obtuse (wide) angles and not be a particularly good slicer. And steels of yore are not the edge holders of today's steels so expectations of cutting ability need to be modest.
Here is a J.R., no England, & "Her Majesty" so some time before 1891, an ebay knife, to show that with a bit of luck & time anyone can score a J.R. in good condition.
kj
Edit to add: pictures do not show the high quality ivory well at all. I might try re-picturing (take more pictures)
Attachments
007.JPG
012.JPG
013.JPG
010.JPG
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

If it was mine, I would clean it up, sharpen it, oil it good, and put it in my pocket. I don't think I would alter such an old and historic knife.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
americanedgetech

That is a GREAT knife KJ. It is difficult to believe that it is as old or older that the one I posted.
The difference in the blade steel is night, and day.
I am also glad you added that edit. The images almost look like celluloid.

Olde Cutter, and everyone actually...
It is not that I want a go/no go opinion. It is more about the validity of rebuilding a collectible knife in that poor condition.
Do the name, and age make it Taboo to modify it?
Did a whole mess of collectors miss it due to it not being listed correctly or is 3 bucks the fair market value of this poor old knife?

I'm not at all concerned with an appraisal value or what the dollar amount it should bring is... If it is a significant knife that SHOULD be left alone then I would not change it in any way, and I believe that is what I am hearing here.
Ken Mc.

KleenCut61

Post by KleenCut61 »

Safety First < Sure its Old And Beat up , But is it safe to handle is and was my Previous Post , I see a lot of guys going for the rough stuff and can only wonder there Itinerary.. Laps are used to remove Burrs from Steal , So you don't cut yourself on them , and they do cut regardless !!< These pics are of a NY Knife Co , That I just rehandled , Why You ask ? They were so soaked in oil , and packed with rust , you would think it unsafe to handle givin its age , So I broke out the Machines ( all of which are Mini Versions ) And went to town on it ,,Check it out , 98% Complete.. Thanks Joe
Attachments
100_1617.JPG
100_1618.JPG
100_1619.JPG
americanedgetech

That is gorgeous Joe. Do you have any before pictures?

What you did there is the way I see this old Rodgers knife but I don't want to ruin something just because I see it differently than it is.
Like polishing an old coin on a buffer... Some things are just not acceptable to the "industry".

I think I will sit on this one for awhile, and learn more before I decide. This will give me time to develop the skill sets and do it justice if I do anything to it at all.

I have about 500 lbs of 100 year old black Iron Wood that needs a LOT of homes. This might be it's first "forever home", someday... ::nod::
Thanks!
Ken Mc.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

I have a similar Rodgers, but it only has the star and cross stamped on the pile side.
cheers...
Attachments
Joseph Rodgers and Sons No. 6 Norfolk St. Sheffield (10).JPG
Joseph Rodgers and Sons No. 6 Norfolk St. Sheffield (9).JPG
americanedgetech

Do you know what year (approx) that puts your knife?
Do you know what the handle material is on yours?

I'm thinking Bakolite was later, and celluloid could be a possibility (for mine) but yours also look synthetic, so I have NO clue.

Edit: My pile side stamp, and blade steel look the same so I think we are close...
Ken Mc.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

It's some kind of synthetic plastic i think. In terms of the age, im having a hard time pinning it down.
The Rodgers information is all over the board and you would think that it would be easier because of the stamping variations. Would love to hear from someone who knows the dating better.
KleenCut61

Post by KleenCut61 »

No Before Pics Ken , For All The Same Reasons You Stated , I Sat On this One For Some Time ,With Time to Think , The Ebony Handles Were Cut From A Grooming Brush Set I Purchased for like $10.00. So I Would Have the Wood From The Same Time Frame , Early 1900's, And when All was said and done , I was doing the Finishing Very Next Day , Preparations Allowed It To Be Possible I guess that's what I am trying to Tell ya ,, <I have 1 Rogers With Exotic Animal Horn Scales !!, I will try and Post a pic , Hey They Were Royal Cutlers I Would Think Like a Royal if it were Mine Hey! ::nod::
KleenCut61

Post by KleenCut61 »

Thank You Ken For Your Comments :D My Rogers >
Attachments
100_1623.JPG
100_1624.JPG
100_1625.JPG
americanedgetech

Lawrence wrote:It's some kind of synthetic plastic i think. In terms of the age, im having a hard time pinning it down.
The Rodgers information is all over the board and you would think that it would be easier because of the stamping variations. Would love to hear from someone who knows the dating better.
Me tooo brother. I didn't know that Rodgers was difficult to narrow down...
I simply google every purchase, and decide.
If there is limited info, I try to find more, but my ONLY recourse is the "net", and we all know that the net does not provide opinions. ONLY facts...
Let me be square on THIS thread that I do NOT care about what a blade can commend in money. I Honestly do not care.
When I see knives selling for hundreds of dollars I am NOT the guy that cares.
They are knives!!! Not pacemakers.

I make my living by relating what I care about to what is important. Feed my dogs, buy my smokes, and enjoy like minded people.
I find them at Fathoms on Fri. nights. Boat people.

The rest of the time I work, and I work hard but I need to change my future.

Sooooo Knives are new to me, and I respect old knives. I respect everything that came before me because I have found written papers that predicted the future well before anyone would say so. (man on the moon from a 6th grader in 1746)
Chesapeake bay bridge predicted by the same 13 year old girl. PM me, and I will tell you the details... Promise they are true.

I just need to learn when old IS old, and when "old" is rebuild-able
For ME a knife is a knife. For collectors, I want to show respect, and do the "right thing. That is the ONLY reason I joined YOUR group..
You guys know... I might be an arhole but I am real. I post who I am!

That guy ::facepalm::
Ken Mc.

americanedgetech

KleenCut61 wrote:Thank You Ken For Your Comments :D My Rogers >

Your handles look like horn. Am I correct?

What era is that knife?
Ken Mc.

Return to “European-made knives”