Boer War Jack Knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Unclebob

Boer War Jack Knife

Post by Unclebob »

This is a recent acquisition, but from a good friend, so I've lusted after it for some time! Boer War (late 1890's) period issue Jack Knife, horn scales, with serial number burnt in. It has the W/I\D stamp on one side of the blade root, with Burch and son, Sheffield on the other. The loop is copper.
DSCF7617.JPG
(Is 'blade root' the correct term?)
#goldpan

Re: Boer War Jack Knife

Post by #goldpan »

Welcome aboard! And the blade root is referred to as the tang. The marking is known as the tang stamp! Nice old Marlin spike. Its a sailors knife, nice one too!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Yes, welcome to AAPK.

The ‘Broad Arrow’ or ‘Crows Foot’, is the standard British military ownership mark. The W D stands for 'War Department'. The British Government has been marking government ownership since at least the 1830's and probably sometime in the 1600's.
Some marks are: (the ^ is used to denote the /|\ broad arrow)

B^D (Board of Ordnance)
W^D (War Department)
D^D ( Department of Defence (Aust)
N^Z New Zealand
There are more.

Those knives are commonly referred to as British Army knives. This one is from 1943. There's a thread on them here; viewtopic.php?t=9829
Attachments
British Army Knife with Marlin Spike 1943 - Pile Side.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
buck16
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by buck16 »

Nice knife UncleBob. When I was growing up in the Southern U.S., the bolsters on a knife were referred to as the "jaws". I , personally, enjoy hearing knives described colloquially.
GerryD

Post by GerryD »

These knives were issued to the army as well as the Navy but I don't think the Navy stamped them. At the time of the Boar war the army used lots of horse power so the marlinspike was in rope splicing. I have a number of these some with horn scales and some with wooden scales. You need a proper pocket to carry thses :)

Return to “European-made knives”