Joseph Rogers Sportsman help please

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
GerryD

Joseph Rogers Sportsman help please

Post by GerryD »

I need some help here if possible.
This a J. Rogers sportsman that I may have posted before. As you can see it’s a good example but it has lost its “Pick” the tweezers are there. I want to make another Pick but I need to know if the Pick profile is round or square?
I’m hoping someone has got one of these with the pick and they can either post a picture or tell me the profile. It measures 8” open and 4.5” closed.
Attachments
_DSC3134.jpg
_DSC3135.jpg
LongBlade

Re: Joseph Rogers Sportsman help please

Post by LongBlade »

That is a super nice looking horseman's knife in great shape from Rogers ::tu:: ::tu:: ... Sorry I can't help about the pick shape but many old horseman's knives lack both the pick and tweezers, and the only one I have still has the tweezers but pick is lost...

Post by GerryD »

Its ok you can all stand down now I've seen what it should look like and I will refurb one of my spares into the correct shape and then harden and temper the pick.
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

Hi GerryD,
Could you post up an image of what you found?

I hope it's not top secret or anything... It'll help the next guy for sure ::tu::
Thanks...
Ken
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
GerryD

Post by GerryD »

I will in the next few hours probably tomorrow now UK tomorrow :D
GerryD

Post by GerryD »

As promised photographs of the pick, be interesting to see how many people view!
Attachments
_DSC3148.jpg
_DSC3149.jpg
_DSC3151.jpg
espn77

Post by espn77 »

You made That? That's pretty cool
GerryD

Post by GerryD »

I didn't make it, it was a spare I had kicking about. I have annealed it to make it workable. I made it smaller then I harden and tempered and re-polished. I was going to make one but this was easier and quicker.
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

Now it's here forever GerryD.

I'm far from a pro but just seeing the slot the pick fits into you have to know it is square at the head. Most all of the picks I have seen in knives are square, and flatten/taper so I think you made a wise decision in yours.

I love the idea of watching the views. Especially over the years... Some things are priceless! ::super_happy::
8) 8) 8) ::tu::

Edit:
Ohhh. I have never been a fan of what I call "Hurdy Gurdy" knives or these all in one knives but apparently they are collected, and because of that, and Your post, I am beginning to notice them, and their prices.
The right ones are not cheap by any definition. ::tu::
Thanks!
K
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
GerryD

Post by GerryD »

Not sure about "hurdy gurdy"? This knife shows the skill of the Sheffield little mesters. A single blade is far easier to make and assemble and in collecting far easier to find, this is a rare knife in this know complete condition The term Sportsman has little to do with sport as we know it but it was a man of leisure the fishing and hunting brigade of the 19th and early 20th centuries, lords of the manner don't you know. When this knife was made it would be well out of the working mans wages so therefore is rare especially in this condition. In my opinion its only worth what someone is willing to pay but there you have it some people must have some things and they have the resources to buy them. What this fetch on the bay? U..S bay of course we aren't allowed to sell on the bay over here !!!!!

Return to “European-made knives”