Tonneau pattern from France

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Tonneau pattern from France

Post by Railsplitter »

I've had this knife for about 10 months but I've been admiring it a lot lately and felt compelled to share it with you folks.

I forget who the actual manufacturer is but this particular version is a Special Factory Order (SFO) for a little cutlery shop in Auxerre, France. Being an SFO, the knife is exclusive to that little shop. The shop does not have a website and they don't do Paypal. I saw a picture of one of these knives posted in a discussion and I found out that the only ways to obtain one are to go to the shop and buy one, call the shop and order one by phone and then send them a check, or find one on the secondary market which might be somewhat difficult.

Since I can't speak French and I can't travel to France just to buy a knife, I got in touch with a forum friend who posted the picture that I mentioned above and lives in Paris, France. He called the shop to order my knife, sent them a check, had it shipped to his residence, and then he shipped the knife to me.

The knife is a Tonneau (barrel) pattern and the feature that makes it exclusive to that little shop is the Spear blade made of stainless steel. As I understand it you can buy this same pattern from the manufacturer, who does have a website, but you'll get a Sheepsfoot blade in carbon steel.

When I received it I was surprised how solid the knife is. It's got some weight to it and the blade is almost like a fixed blade when open. Great snap too.

Anyway, just wanted to share a knife that this non French speaking American couldn't have gotten without the help of my friend from Paris.
Attachments
IMG_3225.JPG
IMG_3227.JPG
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
XX Case XX

Re: Tonneau pattern from France

Post by XX Case XX »

That's pretty slick. Real good looking knife. ::tu:: I've never seen one before. Looks like a good size too, about 3 1/2- to 4" closed. I like those single blades. Does it have a half-stop?

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Thanks Mike. No half stop.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Still a good looking knife Rick. I'm certain it will serve you well. ::nod::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

That design has lots of appeal for me. A really good looking knife; fine size too. ::tu::

Return to “European-made knives”