Bulgarian folder Manly Peak

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Eustace

Bulgarian folder Manly Peak

Post by Eustace »

A little background:
By the time my country was a People's Republic, we were behind the Iron Curtain, and our biggest enemies were the Americans, :D in Bulgaria there were several knife factories. Hundreds of pocket knives models were produced, satisfying the internal market and exporting to the CMEA countries.
1989 came the democracy. How exactly came is another question. In Bulgaria was carried out mass privatization. State-owned enterprises were sold for a few cents to certain people, who later resold them or cut for scrap and earned millions.
For some time in Bulgaria almost no one produces pocket knives. There were several people in the traditional knife cities that made cheap blades for tourists. In the last few years there have been craftsmen who make really high-grade custom knives, in single pieces. Began mass imports from China.
In 2010, the first company, which was seriously involved in the production of pocket knives, came out on the market. I present to you the latest model of the company.
The blade is a limited edition for Bulgarian bladeforum with S90V steel. Serial production is with D2.
Attachments
IMG_4897.JPG
IMG_4898.JPG
IMG_4900.JPG
IMG_4902.JPG
IMG_4903.JPG
IMG_4905.JPG
IMG_4910.JPG
IMG_4912.JPG
IMG_4914.JPG
IMG_4917.JPG
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Bulgarian folder Manly Peak

Post by jerryd6818 »

So why is the insert in English? Are they targeting the U.S., GB, etc? Looks like a very well made knife and I'm glad they decided to copy the Spyderco hole. It's much easier to use than a thumb stud (for me).
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

jerryd6818 wrote:So why is the insert in English? Are they targeting the U.S., GB, etc? Looks like a very well made knife and I'm glad they decided to copy the Spyderco hole. It's much easier to use than a thumb stud (for me).
Of course, such a narrowly profiled company can not be developed only with the small Bulgarian market. As I know, they are already selling in Europe.But it would have been better for the Bulgarian forum to have the certificate in Bulgarian.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Just an observation, the certificate says, "This knife is not a tool", what is it then? Is that statement in reference to the warranty? Nice looking knife and would probably make a great EDC but since it's not a tool I suppose you just look at it or put it with the other "safe queens". ::mdm::
Just a little "redneck" reasoning, Eustace, no offence to you! ::handshake::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
MITCH RAPP

Post by MITCH RAPP »

8) Eustace, I discovered Manly Knives last year. I have this one and it is a very well made knife. ::tu::
Attachments
IMG_1831.JPG
IMG_1832.JPG
MITCH

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
"So far,So good...So What!" - Johnnie Samples
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

A tool, Philip, like for prying or hammering, etc. Just one of those things that doesn't translate well.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I got one of those last year too.
It is a very well made knife.
Attachments
DSCN4259.JPG
DSCN4266.JPG
DSCN4270.JPG
Joe
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

MITCH RAPP wrote:8) Eustace, I discovered Manly Knives last year. I have this one and it is a very well made knife. ::tu::
That's a nice one there... ::nod::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

FRJ wrote:I got one of those last year too.
It is a very well made knife.
I like yours too Joe. Very nice... ::nod::

_________
Mike
"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

treefarmer wrote:Just an observation, the certificate says, "This knife is not a tool", what is it then? Is that statement in reference to the warranty? Nice looking knife and would probably make a great EDC but since it's not a tool I suppose you just look at it or put it with the other "safe queens". ::mdm::
Just a little "redneck" reasoning, Eustace, no offence to you! ::handshake::
Treefarmer
Two or three years ago, one of the Bulgarian forums (off-road or bushcraft, I don"t remember) made Manly's order for forum knives. The model was a Comrade, as shown above, steel D2 hardened to 62 HRC. Then one of the members, broke the knife while doing the batoning. They made a claim and Manly changed all blades with hardened to 58 units.
I think the company wants to say that the knife can be used only for cutting. Pocket knife is not an axe, screwdriver or lever. А knife can also be made to carry out these activities, but it must be with other steel, other grind and other hardening. And must be fix :D .
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

jerryd6818 wrote:A tool, Philip, like for prying or hammering, etc. Just one of those things that doesn't translate well.
Jerry said it best. As an English-as-a-first-language speaker, I think of a knife as a tool. As is a screwdriver, a hammer, or a pry bar. They're all tools. But just as a hammer is not a knife, neither is a knife a hammer.

Whenever I see a knife that has been abused I'm reminded of this old poem. (Click to enlarge for readability.)

Ken
image.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Great poem Ken. I'd never read it before. Thanks for posting it.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thanks Mike. ::tu::
Joe

Return to “European-made knives”