J. Clarke & Son gold wash penknife 1870 ish?

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
GerryD

J. Clarke & Son gold wash penknife 1870 ish?

Post by GerryD »

This a small knife I bought recently at an antique junk centre here in the UK. As you can see its got two blades, a button hook and scissors and is just under 3" closed. Its got Ivory scales with one side damaged shame but there you are.The blades and hook are marked with the makers name J Clarke & Son, NEVA and Sheffield. I've read that the maker had an association with the USA so Im presuming this is earlier than 1890. The spring is nicely finished off with what looks like gold inlay.
Attachments
_DSC1770.jpg
_DSC1765.jpg
_DSC1766.jpg
_DSC1767.jpg
_DSC1769.jpg
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: J. Clarke & Son gold wash penknife 1870 ish?

Post by bestgear »

Sweet little knife Gerry, that crack doesn't bother me in the least, I love those little pen knives with button hooks.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Awesome looking old knife Gerry ::tu:: ::tu:: ... love that back spring file work and inlay too... given all else is good accepting an old knife with some handle damage (in this case just a crack and not a chip missing) is hard to refuse ::nod::

Post by GerryD »

Considering it came with a leather sleeve case (not period but very good) and it was only four UK pounds it was a bargain. I don't mind knives showing there age and history it just adds to the whole thing to me.
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

I'd say you did very well Gerry, that only $0.035 for each of the 147 years that this knife has been in existence, a real bargain on any side of the pond!
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

GerryD wrote:Considering it came with a leather sleeve case (not period but very good) and it was only four UK pounds it was a bargain. I don't mind knives showing there age and history it just adds to the whole thing to me.
I'd say that was indeed a bargain ::tu:: ... and I am in total agreement about old knives showing age and history etc - I like it as well!! - it is disheartening to me when I see folks clean and dare I say buff an old knife to make it look new :( - to me that is destroying a piece of history and knife value in my opinion, and think you probably agree Gerry given your comment on appreciating knives showing age and history :)

Post by kootenay joe »

Nice knife ! Vintage Pen knives are my favorite knife to collect. As is so often the case it looks like the scissor spring is missing. I have thought of trying to insert a small SAK spring which can be purchased for $1 or so, but have yet to try it. If the next owner did not like a new spring in an old knife it would be simple to remove (if one even fits).
kj
dcgm4

Post by dcgm4 »

Awesome knife! Even with the damage it's a beauty! ::tu::
Dave

Always looking for vintage knives with Virginia, Maryland, or Washington D.C. tang stamps. Any condition.
GerryD

Post by GerryD »

I posted this on a face book page where someone reckons this could be as late as 1920. I'm not so sure it may not be as early as i have indicated but i think its 19th century. Its hard to date knives, i collect watches as well and generally they are easier to date but they can be difficult as well. i'm not too bothered it is what it is a nice Sheffield pen knife.

Gerry
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Gerry i am very far from being an expert but i do have a fair number of vintage Sheffield knives many with ivory handles. I agree they are hard to date. If "England" is not marked anywhere on the knife it most likely is 1890 or earlier. Knowing how much earlier or how much later than 1890 is the difficulty.
Even without looking at the markings your knife looks earlier than 1920 to me. I would guess somewhat before 1890 for it's origin. If it has "England" on it i am wrong !
kj
GerryD

Post by GerryD »

I think you are right K-Joe

Gerry

Return to “European-made knives”