Cold Steel

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
montemojo

Cold Steel

Post by montemojo »

Here are some knives from Japan and one from the good ole USA. All are excellent fit finish and purpose. Though kinda plain jane in eye. They become very appealing with use.
20170414_151043.jpg
20170414_150502.jpg

Thanks Monte
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Cold Steel

Post by Quick Steel »

Monte, that's a nice selection of CS. I particularly like the scimitar which I have often carried.What surprises me is that you have the tanto lockback, the 2nd from the left. Your the first person I've found, other than myself, who also has one. Can you tell me anything about it? I've always assumed it must have been made in the early days of CS, but really don't know.
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

QS, this knife has a 5" blade and the clip is part of the handle. Not like the others, they have a metal clip held on with screws. This is the second one I have had. I eventually gave the first away to an admirer. Now I believe the plastic clip was the early made voyager. The first third and forth knives from the left have a metal clip thats held on with screws. The newest voyager models have the metal clip and can be right or left handed with tip up or down carry and are made in Tiawan. That is the biggest differences I have seen in the voyager models. This is my opinion and could be wrong. They are tuff and could be considered as one of the best clip models for the price. Now the ones on the right were the earliest Japanese models and are not the voyager model. These have laminated steel blades and the skeletonized rubber handles that are glued on. That is their biggest down fall in my opinion. But the rubber feels good and doesnt slip. As far as what years all of these changes were made I have no idea.
Thanks for looking and the kind comments.

Monte
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Monte, Apologies, I messed up my right and left. The one I was referring to was the 2nd from the right, our right. Just for clarification. The Voyager series is superb. Like Lynn Thompson I favor the Vaquero in that series.
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

QS, most of the information I have on that knife I have I just posted but I had another knife just like that one except for a differnt nail nick. The blade on this one measures just under 2 5/8". The other knife I had but have given away. The nail nick was straight just like the large and small knife. Everything else was the same including the tang stamp. I dont know why this is.
Which type of nail nick is on yours?
Monte
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

By the way, I have ordered the CS special projects catalog thanks
Monte
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I'm going to have to dig it out to check the nail nick. It will be awhile. When you get the catalog be sure to check out the fixed blades that are a single piece of drop forged steel including the handle. Interesting.
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

I like them.
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

Thanks Captain. The voyagers are excellent. I havent used the new ones from tiawan. The Japanese voyagers are great kinda like the old timex watches they take a lick'n and keep on tick'n. Have you ever seen the old CS video they really put them to the test!

Monte

Return to “European-made knives”