Wade Wingfield & Rowbothom stag trio

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
GerryD

Wade Wingfield & Rowbothom stag trio

Post by GerryD »

I've been going through my stags of late and these three were in the box of stag knives I bought. One is in need of a bit of rust management but other than that they are nice old pruners.They all measure about the same 4" closed and 7.5" open.
Enjoy

Gerry
Attachments
_DSC1443.jpg
_DSC1441.jpg
_DSC1440.jpg
_DSC1444.jpg
knife7knut

Re: Wade Wingfield & Rowbothom stag trio

Post by knife7knut »

Nice ones Gerry! That stamp is a very old one;Goins dates it 1825-1858. Which is a bit strange because I have a 7 day razor set by them and there is a presentation plaque on the box dated 1899. Kind of hard to imagine a razor set sitting around for nearly 40 years before presentation. There is a pic of them in the razor forum.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
GerryD

Post by GerryD »

K7K according to a source on the BB forum I've been told that if the M of Rowbotham is under the L in Wingfield it is a Wade Wingfield Rowbotham knife and the Wade died in 1851, the firm's name was changed from Wade, Wingfield & Rowbotham to just Wingfield and Rowbotham & Co. So we can presume the first posted knife and at least one of the other knives pre date 1852.

Gerry
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Gerry:Here are a couple pics of the set.
Attachments
WW&R Razor.JPG
WW&RBladeStamp1.JPG
WW&RBladeStamp2.JPG
WW&RCase1.JPG
WW&RCase2.JPG
WW&RRazorSet.JPG
WW&RShield.JPG
GerryD

Post by GerryD »

K7K Thats a nice set and i would say that the fact that it has clearly Wade_______ it is before 1852 . I suspect what you have is a marriage that is the box has been added later to give it a military interest. Have you researched the name on the presentation and the company, the regiment would also be good i bet

Gerry
GerryD

Post by GerryD »

K7K Barielly is in India and the company were bankers i bet the 93rd regiment were there as well.

Gerry
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Gerry: Thank you so much for that information! I have had that set for close to 40 years and never did any research on it.If I recall I believe I paid $50 for it back then which at the time was a considerable sum for me.I had started collecting straight razors as pocket knife availability had kind of dried up for awhile. I never really stopped collecting them and probably7 have a couple hundred of them now.
GerryD

Post by GerryD »

I think the spelling may be wrong if it is in India i before e and all that. The place in India is spelt Breilly but the 93rd were in India up to the late 1860's but maybe he stayed or went back who knows? Interestingly the box has the same mark as the razors for Wade etc.

Gerry
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

GerryD wrote:I think the spelling may be wrong if it is in India i before e and all that. The place in India is spelt Breilly but the 93rd were in India up to the late 1860's but maybe he stayed or went back who knows? Interestingly the box has the same mark as the razors for Wade etc.

Gerry
The reason the box is stamped with their name is they likely contracted WW&R to make those 7 day sets for sale in their stores.It would have been far easier to hot stamp the box than the razors themselves. I wonder if maybe the reason that they have survived so long intact is that the spelling on the presentation shield was spelled incorrectly? Seems like it would have been fairly easy to remove the shield and install a correct one. Whatever the case the reading was interesting to say the least.
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

Nice knives Gerry and razors K7K. Here's one more example.
Attachments
Horseman's 016.jpg
Rust Never Sleeps
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

smiling-knife wrote:Nice knives Gerry and razors K7K. Here's one more example.
That is one BEAUTIFUL knife!!!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::

Return to “European-made knives”