British army clasp knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Edgewise

British army clasp knives

Post by Edgewise »

Why is the marking "oil the joints" on the handle, or on the tang, or on BOTH, of a stainless steel knife? Is it an army thing, or does it appear on other knives I'm not aware of? ::shrug::
And what advantages or disadvantages are there of bexit scales over stainless steel? ::hmm::
And is there a video somewhere on how to use the can opener on the bexit scale knives? :?
And...and....are these knives still army issue today?
Aaaaaaand, was the sharp splicer thing just intended for the navy or the army as well?
I think I may have the other markings more or less worked out.... maybe......or maybe not. :)
Berryb

Re: British army clasp knives

Post by Berryb »

I think most if not all George Wostenholm IXL knives have "oil the joint" stamped on the tang.
Bruce
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Edgewise wrote:Why is the marking "oil the joints" on the handle, or on the tang, or on BOTH, of a stainless steel knife? Is it an army thing, or does it appear on other knives I'm not aware of? ::shrug::
And what advantages or disadvantages are there of bexit scales over stainless steel? ::hmm::
And is there a video somewhere on how to use the can opener on the bexit scale knives? :?
And...and....are these knives still army issue today?
Aaaaaaand, was the sharp splicer thing just intended for the navy or the army as well?
I think I may have the other markings more or less worked out.... maybe......or maybe not. :)
If you are referring to the can openers that look like a spear point,you push the point through the top of the can vertically as close to the rim as possible with the knob to the outside so it rests on top of the rim.Then push down on the knife(pressing against the back spring so it doesn't fold onto your fingers)holding pressure against the top.Return the knife to vertical and repeat;slowly working your way around the top.Requires a little more work than an electric can opener. :mrgreen:
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Edgewise

Post by Edgewise »

Is this the one you describe?
image.jpeg
This is the one I meant. There seems to be no stud. Maybe the nail nick part is braced on the can rim and pulled upwards.
image.jpeg
I use this one. It is pushed forward.

[The extension gif has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

The electric one isn't pocket friendly. ::shrug::
This one is also popular but I think it is pulled backwards.
image.jpeg
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

Don't try those top 2 on a modern can. Those are from a time when tin cans were made from tin not steel.
Bruce

Return to “European-made knives”