Wostenholm Horseman's Knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Wostenholm Horseman's Knife

Post by JohnR »

Picked up a relic Wostenholm horseman's knife, decent condition for its age, does have 2 broken blades. I'm thinking this one is pretty old based on the Wostenholm Celebrated Cutlery tang stamps and the fleam blade, maybe 1850's or so. Still has its tweezers and toothpick.
Attachments
IMG_6585.jpg
IMG_6586.jpg
IMG_6589.jpg
IMG_6590.jpg
IMG_6592.jpg
GerryD

Re: Wostenholm Horseman's Knife

Post by GerryD »

Thats a nice find shame about the blades though but if its been about since the late 19th century still not to bad . I've never seen the pick and tweezers under the same scale, the pick is the one that usually goes missing. Is it a big knife?

Gerry
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Even with 2 blades broken off short this is still a beautiful knife, top notch workmanship for sure and very fine Stag handles. I would be very happy to have won this one.
kj
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Quite a find. I love the color of that stag. Beautiful. ::tu::
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

A beautiful old knife to be sure. As I see it you could either leave it as is (after a light cleaning;no sandpaper or steel wool though)or re-profile the broken blades to make it a user. If it were mine I would leave it as is.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

knife7knut wrote:A beautiful old knife to be sure. As I see it you could either leave it as is (after a light cleaning;no sandpaper or steel wool though)or re-profile the broken blades to make it a user. If it were mine I would leave it as is.
GerryD wrote:Thats a nice find shame about the blades though but if its been about since the late 19th century still not to bad . I've never seen the pick and tweezers under the same scale, the pick is the one that usually goes missing. Is it a big knife?Gerry

I will be leaving it as is other than stabilizing some rust, it has a lot of hard earned patina. I'm just going to leave the blades as is, they actually are usable as is

Gerry, not huge it's 3 3/4", easy to carry in the pocket. I think the pick and tweezers ended up under the same scale because of the fleam blade, there is a cut out on the pile side for the blade to open into.

Thanks for the comments.
Attachments
IMG_6594.jpg
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Sweet old IXL horseman's knife John ::tu:: ... those knives were true working knives and the great majority I have seen except for a very few have lots of "character" and probably many stories to be told....

Return to “European-made knives”