Sakoblade´s knives from Eskilstuna Sweden

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
sakoblade

Re: Sakoblade´s knives from Eskilstuna Sweden

Post by sakoblade »

7k7, great find!

Not sure what the sheath markings stand for but cool with the "mirror imaged" shield.

Thanks for sharing!

Jim
sakoblade

Post by sakoblade »

Here's another one for your viewing pleasure.

A small one, with bone handles, made by E. T. Segerstrom. This company was in business between 1864 and 1925. It is in need of cleaning and a whetstone.

Jim
IMG_8137.JPG
sakoblade

Post by sakoblade »

And two by Magnusson & Co, in business between 1919 and 1945 (-ish!).

Jim
IMG_7983.JPG
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Here are a couple more Segerstroms, one of which I posted in Knife Finds of the Day with my haul from the knife club this weekend, and the other picture are my collection of them so far by various Swedish makers. ___Dave
Attachments
Barrel knives 001.JPG
Barrel knives 003.JPG
sakoblade

Post by sakoblade »

djknife13 wrote:Here are a couple more Segerstroms, one of which I posted in Knife Finds of the Day with my haul from the knife club this weekend, and the other picture are my collection of them so far by various Swedish makers. ___Dave
Now that's just awesome Dave!! ::tu::
Very nice collection indeed!

Barrel knives surface over here on a regular basis but always at higher prices than what I like to pay.
But with a bit of luck I might bag one eventually.

Segerstrom beside, what other makers do you have there?

Jim
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Jim. Yeah they usually are pretty expensive, at least more than I will pay but there are enough of them around here with all the old Swedes that came here in the early 1900's and I don't think their grandkids valued them as they should have. I see them often at gun/knife shows for several hundred. I seldom pay more than $50 for them and wait for nice ones. The makers are in order left to right are the two Segerstroms, AJ Westersson, Holmberg, Jon Engstrom, APB Holmberg, Jernbologet. I hope I spelled all those correctly. I have a number of other Swedish, Finnish and Norwegian knives I'll have to shoot a picture of and post them some time soon too.____Dave
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

Very nice Dave, I find the barrel knives appealling. I have'nt been lucky enough to get one yet.

Monte
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

I passed up on this one today
20170222_163817.jpg
20170222_163829.jpg
Guard was loose. As I am trying to refine my collecting

Monte
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

This is probably my favorite Scandinavian knife. I'm thinking it's Norwegian, but as far as I know, it could be Finnish or Swedish but my best guess is Norwegian. It's only marked S.B., which doesn't sound like any of the above to me. Jim, maybe you know? Anyway it's in my Scandinavian collection and it was a gift from a fellow collector and a very good friend. ___Dave
Attachments
Norwegian knife 001.JPG
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

montemojo wrote:I passed up on this one today20170222_163817.jpg20170222_163829.jpg

Monte
Monte, I have a few of those and the carbon steel in those are about as good a steel as you will ever find, and it seen as if the guards are always a little loose but never come off. ___Dave
montemojo

Post by montemojo »

djknife13 wrote:
montemojo wrote:I passed up on this one today20170222_163817.jpg20170222_163829.jpg

Monte
Monte, I have a few of those and the carbon steel in those are about as good a steel as you will ever find, and it seen as if the guards are always a little loose but never come off. ___Dave
What would be a good price on that knife and how old do you think it is?

Thanks Monte
sakoblade

Post by sakoblade »

Monte
Monte, great Mora knife!

Looks fairly good and as Dave says, they get really sharp and the guard is often a bit loose.
I have owned other types of Mora knives but not any longer as I try to focus on folding knives.

Jim
sakoblade

Post by sakoblade »

djknife13 wrote:This is probably my favorite Scandinavian knife. I'm thinking it's Norwegian, but as far as I know, it could be Finnish or Swedish but my best guess is Norwegian. It's only marked S.B., which doesn't sound like any of the above to me. Jim, maybe you know? Anyway it's in my Scandinavian collection and it was a gift from a fellow collector and a very good friend. ___Dave
That's beauty Dave!! ::tu::

I have absolutely no knowledge of Sami knives and have no clue to it's origin.
But I will ask around some and will try to dig out some info.

Meanwhile, here's a page with info about signed knives: http://www.cultur.nu/knivar/samesign/

There are other pages too on that site. Do a Google Translate on the Swedish or ask me! :D

Jim
sakoblade

Post by sakoblade »

Dave, are there any markings on the handle or the sheath?

Like this, or similar?

Jim
IMG_8206.JPG
sakoblade

Post by sakoblade »

djknife13 wrote:This is probably my favorite Scandinavian knife. I'm thinking it's Norwegian, but as far as I know, it could be Finnish or Swedish but my best guess is Norwegian. It's only marked S.B., which doesn't sound like any of the above to me. Jim, maybe you know? Anyway it's in my Scandinavian collection and it was a gift from a fellow collector and a very good friend. ___Dave
Dave, I now suspect the blade is made by a Swedish smith, Stefan Brostrom from Ranea.

I am not sure if he made the handle and sheath but don't think so. Please check and see if you can find anything that can be a mark of any kind.

Jim
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Thanks Jim. No there is nothing else on the blade, but the scrimshaw has "Bruce" on the back side of the sheath. I assume that is a previous owner and probably the original owner because it appears to be colored in like the scrimshaw. The handle and sheath are what I assume to be reindeer horn.___Dave
sakoblade

Post by sakoblade »

Okay, thanks Dave!

I think it may be difficult to find out who made it without any markings. But can't be many Sami knives with Bruce inscribed on the sheath, right? :mrgreen:

Some Sami knives are marked like in the pic I posted earlier, with symbols rather than regular letters. Sometimes they can be hard to discern from scrimshaw and other patterns.

I'll ask around some more.

Jim
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Jim, You got me curious enough to recheck the knife sheath and I have no idea how I missed the initials PE in the corner of the sheath. They are very obvious. I assume they are the scrimshaw's mark. I don't suppose this will help identify the knife maker but maybe someone will recognize the mark. It's a little embarrassing that I missed it or at least forgot it was there. There is definitely nothing else on the knife. Sorry about the hazy picture. ___Dave
Attachments
Sami knife 001.JPG
sakoblade

Post by sakoblade »

Dave, no need for embarrassment! I am deaf and blind for many things in life so you're not alone! :mrgreen: ::tu::

I may have a lead on the mark on the sheath but don´t get your hope up too much. Have made some enquiries and hope to get some replies soon.

Cheers!

Jim
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Two more Swedes for your enjoyment. Butterfly by Knifabriken in an arch over GNOSJO, and a horn (I believe, dark material with very fine grain lines) Knifbolaget, Eskilstuna, Sweden 5 blade that appears to have had a pen blade that I just now saw the tang of across from the main blade. I hate surprises like that. It's a super well built compact knife especially now that i realize it was a 6 blade knife. ___Dave
Attachments
Knifabriken and Knifbolaget 001.JPG
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

I found three more at the bottom of the safe where I don't get to very often. The black one is unmarked and I forgot to write down the makers of the other two before I locked them up again. I need a better system to store them that is more accessible. ___Dave
Attachments
Scand. dress knives 001.JPG
Scand. dress knives 002.JPG
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

djknife13: Very interesting knives. I enjoy seeing designs I haven't encountered before; here particularly the sheath designs. Thanks for posting.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Thanks QS. The Scandinavian designs are pretty much unique to their part of the world and they take their knives very seriously. Most don't have a lot of frill but some of the dress knives, as part of their costumes do get pretty fancy. Swedish steel for years has been among the best in the world and the humble little Mora knives with the red birch handles were laminated blades for years. I grew up in an area with a lot of Swedes, Norwegians, and Finns and for some time didn't realize that the rest of the world didn't recognize these designs. Levine once stated that the Swedish Barrel knives were extremely rare which surprised us knife guys around here because they aren't around here. It wasn't too many years ago the local church we attend finally had our church constitution changed from Swedish to English when the last member who could read Swedish passed away.____Dave
sakoblade

Post by sakoblade »

Dave , thanks for posting!! Great knives for sure!

I am away for the weekend so just a quick reply today.

The 6 bladed Knifbolaget has horn handles for all I can see. I don't think I have one like your but will check when I get home. Will also check my "bible" for info on it.

Will also check your pics on a large screen to see what I can make of them.

Will be back soon!

Jim
sakoblade

Post by sakoblade »

Dave, here´s some are info about the folders you posted.

I have checked my book about Eskilstuna knives and your Knifbolaget was made before 1929 and has model number 116 if I have read it right.
They changed the tang stamp from Knif... to Knivbolaget Eskilstuna in 1929. They started out in 1917 and the first tang stamp was Knifbolaget and an E but it is uncertain when they changed to the second tang stamp.

Your Gnosjo knife is a well known knife and often reaches good prices here. It was made between late 50´s to late 70´s.

More info can be found here: http://thebladeblog-ulf.blogspot.se/201 ... nosjo.html

Now, your Sami knife is still a mystery but I have a few leads and will be back when I know more.

I will also post some more of my Eskilstuna knives soon.

Jim

Return to “European-made knives”