A. Field & Co Knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
wlf

Re: A. Field & Co Knife

Post by wlf »

On that note,
I have somewhat of a revelation after rereading this thread . Remember I mentioned Bill Howard said he found an A Fields box while at the Queen factory. I stated above it would have most likely been a relic from the Schatt and Morgan era in that factory (as Schatt and Morgan inhabited the building prior to Queen).

A couple of the last (almost) two knives I have acquired disappointed me when they arrived in the mail. Some auction listings do not specify the length or other features. Always ask questions.

As I've reiterated almost all farmers jacks are apx. 4" long, a large knife to my reckoning,with rare exceptions.. The first one, A Fields, came in at 3 3/4". A 1/4' doesn't sound like much,but in knife making it's gigantic,as seen in the first scan of the A Fields and a Schrade. This last one ,Schatt and Morgan came in and to my surprise was also a somewhat miniature farmers jack. These small ones are rare,Holly being the only other conventional frame small one I've seen, but still a little larger than these.

The ebony is the Schatt and the jigged bone (Schatt jigged bone at the time I figure) is the A Fields stamped. Thanks to Bill Howard for putting this idea in my head and the Lord for letting me get these two knives.

Schatt and Morgan did make some Alfred Fields knives.... Same knives,even the shields are the same.
Attachments
Schatt and Schrade comparison423.jpg
Schatt and A Fields comparison424.jpg
A Fields305.jpg
Schatt and Morgan400.jpg
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Yes Sir. Thank you, Lyle.

Those Farmers Jacks are always nice to look at no matter the size. ::tu::
Joe
D.DuFresne

Post by D.DuFresne »

I found this a field company progress knife 2 days ago. anybody know anything more about it. The ivory extension out the back is about 5 cm long. What was it used for?
A. field progress night
A. field progress night
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

There is another current thread with the same style knife. "Rare old ones" I think is the thread.
I know them as "grafting" knives used to "graft" tree branches as in apple/cherry or lemon/orange. They may also be known as budding knives but I am not sure.

The ivory or brass (on some) spud at the rear is used as a gauge for whittling a notch into the receiving branch. The donor branch is cut into a "V" wedge, and they are tied together until the graft becomes permanent.
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Hmmm. ::hmm:: Another one.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
D.DuFresne

Post by D.DuFresne »

Thank you for the information on the grafting knife. Would you have an idea of the value of it
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

I picked up this extremely battered A Field & Co Progress for five bucks, which is about four too many, I suspect. It screamed “I’m old! Save me!”, so I did!
I’d like to know a closer date for it than pre 1942, which is all I’ve found. Yes, I know, it’s pretty much worthless but there’s just something about it that I like.
59F3096D-B6D5-4BE3-AA95-C9BB04945B1B.jpeg
F4E989F9-6F4E-4BC9-8A0F-0DA558C2F71C.jpeg
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

That's got a heck of a shield on it, zoogirl. I'll say that for it. And maybe Schrade bones.

Here's a florist knife I kind of like. 4" and thin. ::nod::
Attachments
DSCN6300.JPG
DSCN6302.JPG
DSCN6313.JPG
DSCN6314.JPG
Joe
Lama
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Lama »

It's been a while since anyone has posted to this topic, but I have an interesting Sheffield made A. Field & Co boy's jack knife with a cast iron handle. It has the tightest spring of any small knife I've owned, a real nail breaker. According to my research, the stamp dates from pre 1942. What has me stumped is the symbol on the handle. Anyone know or have an idea what it might signify?
Attachments
IMG_6423.jpeg
IMG_6421.jpeg
IMG_6415.jpeg
IMG_6416.jpeg
IMG_6424.jpeg
IMG_6415.jpeg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Great older knife. My guess of age is that it was manufactured before WW II, maybe 1920's even ? I have not seen this arrow through a diamond outline before so cannot be of any help. I'm just admiring your knife.
kj
Buckeye_CRAZY

Post by Buckeye_CRAZY »

Lama wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:34 pm It's been a while since anyone has posted to this topic, but I have an interesting Sheffield made A. Field & Co boy's jack knife with a cast iron handle. It has the tightest spring of any small knife I've owned, a real nail breaker. According to my research, the stamp dates from pre 1942. What has me stumped is the symbol on the handle. Anyone know or have an idea what it might signify?
Hi Lama,

First off I LOVE THAT SHIELD ::tu:: Possibly represents a bow (the diamond shape) being drawn to shoot the Arrow ::shrug:: I found this reference to trademarks used by Alfred Field & Co., not sure if the pic of your shield is a trademark used by “Continental Cutlery Company(owned by A. Field & Co.)”, but I know that they were also making knives in Sheffield, England from 1915-20. Best guess is that your knife was made by “Continental Cutlery Co” between 1915-20. Thanks for sharing this GREAT & unique piece! Best Regards, Chad.
Attachments
B293748A-F4F0-4CBE-A95D-932489F064FE.jpeg
Lama
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Lama »

Wow! Thanks for the comments and info, KJ and Chad. This is some great background history about my knife and solves a mystery I've been pondering with the diamond arrow logo. Another interesting thing about this knife is, it's made from four pieces, two cast iron handle scales, a steel spring, and the blade. It definitely has a home with my other knives.

Best,
Michael
ronfish
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by ronfish »

Neat history, thanks for posting!
Ron

WARNING: Knife Addiction in Progress.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I'm not sure where I picked this hawkbill up, maybe a Rusty Rooster find? ::shrug::

A.FIELD & Co
PROGRESS
Attachments
IMG_20210804_220400927.jpg
IMG_20210804_220340252.jpg
IMG_20210804_220418490.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

Got my first A. Field and discovered this thread.
Attachments
20211111_100409.jpg
20211111_100510.jpg
20211111_100641.jpg
Ike
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

That's a nice one, Ike! ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

I found this broken A Field & Co Progress knife in an antique store for $2.50.
It's shield says "Boy Scout", though I am fairly sure that it not an official Boy Scout knife (I believe that I read once that this was a common practice on some imported Camper knives at one time).
Some bone is missing on the mark side, but it will go into the Parts-or-repair box until I figure out something creative to do with it.
Attachments
1636765976876.jpg
1636765998631.jpg
1636766019095.jpg
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Thought I had a Sheffield A Field & Co. Progress. Nope. Guess it's US made. Thanks for the lessons all. Nice Ben Hogan though, and like the single blade lighter weight in the pocket. Big knife but very thin and not a cumbersome carry.
Attachments
20240128_210019.jpg
20240128_210103.jpg
20240128_210054.jpg
20240128_210040.jpg
20240128_210839.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
wlf

Post by wlf »

Nice one Ivory.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

Lyle
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Ivoryman wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:03 am Thought I had a Sheffield A Field & Co. Progress. Nope. Guess it's US made. Thanks for the lessons all. Nice Ben Hogan though, and like the single blade lighter weight in the pocket. Big knife but very thin and not a cumbersome carry.
A very nice good looking knife, Ivoryman. Good catch! ::tu::
Joe
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Thanks Joe, given the longer lenth, it's not as heavy as one might think. Very thin. Thanks again.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Edge_centric

Post by Edge_centric »

I read this thread several years ago when I first found this little knife, but a friend recently posted another A. field and co. knife and it made me think of mine again. Looks like it was likely a one arm razor with a nice arch tang stamp, ebony handles and a great federal shield. What do you think?
Attachments
image.jpg
wlf

Post by wlf »

Edge_centric wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:26 pm I read this thread several years ago when I first found this little knife, but a friend recently posted another A. field and co. knife and it made me think of mine again. Looks like it was likely a one arm razor with a nice arch tang stamp, ebony handles and a great federal shield. What do you think?
I know it's a nice old example of a prolific hardware merchandiser , and that's about it. I have he later stamps and also the same as your stamp , which I'm sure is an older knife.
Attachments
A Fields 3601.jpg
A Fields 3602.jpg
A Fields 3602.jpg (55.3 KiB) Viewed 27 times
A Fields 3604.jpg
A Fields 3604.jpg (38.04 KiB) Viewed 27 times

Lyle

Return to “European-made knives”