A. Field & Co Knife

This place is specifically allocated for discussing and showing off those knives from areas of the world other than the United States.
wlf
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: A. Field & Co Knife

Postby wlf » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:28 pm

On that note,
I have somewhat of a revelation after rereading this thread . Remember I mentioned Bill Howard said he found an A Fields box while at the Queen factory. I stated above it would have most likely been a relic from the Schatt and Morgan era in that factory (as Schatt and Morgan inhabited the building prior to Queen).

A couple of the last (almost) two knives I have acquired disappointed me when they arrived in the mail. Some auction listings do not specify the length or other features. Always ask questions.

As I've reiterated almost all farmers jacks are apx. 4" long, a large knife to my reckoning,with rare exceptions.. The first one, A Fields, came in at 3 3/4". A 1/4' doesn't sound like much,but in knife making it's gigantic,as seen in the first scan of the A Fields and a Schrade. This last one ,Schatt and Morgan came in and to my surprise was also a somewhat miniature farmers jack. These small ones are rare,Holly being the only other conventional frame small one I've seen, but still a little larger than these.

The ebony is the Schatt and the jigged bone (Schatt jigged bone at the time I figure) is the A Fields stamped. Thanks to Bill Howard for putting this idea in my head and the Lord for letting me get these two knives.

Schatt and Morgan did make some Alfred Fields knives.... Same knives,even the shields are the same.
Attachments
Schatt and Schrade comparison423.jpg
Schatt and A Fields comparison424.jpg
A Fields305.jpg
Schatt and Morgan400.jpg
I HAVE MY ETCHED AND LABELED LICK CREEK # 14 BOYS KNIVES FOR SALE

WTB 2009 TITUSVILLE MASTODON FARMERS JACK

I buy roosters and farmers..........................................................jack knives

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle

FRJ
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby FRJ » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:46 pm

Yes Sir. Thank you, Lyle.

Those Farmers Jacks are always nice to look at no matter the size. ::tu::
Joe

D.DuFresne

Postby D.DuFresne » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:47 pm

I found this a field company progress knife 2 days ago. anybody know anything more about it. The ivory extension out the back is about 5 cm long. What was it used for?
15106670734982068842380.jpg
A. field progress night

americanedgetech
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby americanedgetech » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:56 pm

There is another current thread with the same style knife. "Rare old ones" I think is the thread.
I know them as "grafting" knives used to "graft" tree branches as in apple/cherry or lemon/orange. They may also be known as budding knives but I am not sure.

The ivory or brass (on some) spud at the rear is used as a gauge for whittling a notch into the receiving branch. The donor branch is cut into a "V" wedge, and they are tied together until the graft becomes permanent.
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!

gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby gsmith7158 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:01 pm

Hmmm. ::hmm:: Another one.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.

D.DuFresne

Postby D.DuFresne » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:13 pm

Thank you for the information on the grafting knife. Would you have an idea of the value of it

Return to “European And Other Foreign Manufactured Knives”