Anyone like opinel,

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
cb51

Re: Anyone like opinel,

Post by cb51 »

I can't think f a better knife to be a fanatic over. Light weight, durable, cut;s like crazy, and cheap price tag. Not to mention they are convertable.

I live just outside Washinton D.C., and I go downtown often. I take my Opinel numberr 6. It goes through security check points with no problems. Most federal buildings have a blade limit, and the number 6 does not even get a second glance. Most of the personel don't even know it's a lockblade. They think it's some cheap friction folder picnic knife. Because of the rustic looks and wood handle, it flies below the security radar. I'm not going to tell them otherwise! ::sneaky::

Back home in Maryland outside of D.C., I carry my other Opinels that are loosed up so I can just flick them open, and thumb over the locking ring. Very quick to open that way. A well greased Opinel is a one handled knife.
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

cb51 wrote:I can't think f a better knife to be a fanatic over. Light weight, durable, cut;s like crazy, and cheap price tag. Not to mention they are convertable.

I live just outside Washinton D.C., and I go downtown often. I take my Opinel numberr 6. It goes through security check points with no problems. Most federal buildings have a blade limit, and the number 6 does not even get a second glance. Most of the personel don't even know it's a lockblade. They think it's some cheap friction folder picnic knife. Because of the rustic looks and wood handle, it flies below the security radar. I'm not going to tell them otherwise! ::sneaky::

Back home in Maryland outside of D.C., I carry my other Opinels that are loosed up so I can just flick them open, and thumb over the locking ring. Very quick to open that way. A well greased Opinel is a one handled knife.
i think its a grey area in the uk with locking opinels, as you say they are very rustic looking and not offensive in anyway, also unless you know the collar is there most would think its a friction folder, knowing my luck i would bump into a policeman who knows his knives well :? although i like my #5 with no collar as like a classic opinel before the 55 when they added the collar, i also like the small opies as handy little knives ,my favourite so fare is my #7 nice size for most jobs, nearly as handy as the #8 :D i use that in the garden, ::tu:: ill hopefully have the inox #8 on monday-tue so ill see how it performs blade wise ::tu::
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Well got the #7 to work in my kitchen today slicing a red pepper, the blades on these are great for slicing stuff, ::tu::
Attachments
P1010011-6.jpg
Paul,

zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

I got the #8 in inox SS today, its a very pretty knife, it has a lighter coloured beech handle than on the carbon bladed versions, ill take some nice pics on thursday plus test out the SS blade V the carbon version, ::tu::
Attachments
P1010010-14.jpg
Paul,

zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

sanded down the handle on my carbon #8 and added a lanyard hole and leather lanyard, i might do more to the handle once the kids are off there summer holidays ::tu::
Attachments
P1010010-15.jpg
Paul,

cb51

Post by cb51 »

I like the lighter finish. Is that the new standard finish for the knives with stainless blades?

Of course, darn near anything would be better than that orange stuff they've been using for many years.
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

cb51 wrote:I like the lighter finish. Is that the new standard finish for the knives with stainless blades?

Of course, darn near anything would be better than that orange stuff they've been using for many years.
Im not sure mate, when it arrived i had to check to see that it was beech on the site i got it from, it says beech, its seems to be treated differently , when i sanded down the othe #8 it does seem lighter once the orange comes off, posibly the SS versions are bing done like this :? but really no clue as of yet, i also prefer the lighter finnish as well ::tu::
Paul,

zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

well i have had the inox #8 for a week now and doing very well at slicing veg and fruit in the kitchen ill do a proper test against the carbon version soon, i picked up a carbon #4 today with the older stamp on it, i went to town with the girls today and went into a old hardware store that i knew had a knife display, they had to shelves with opinel display ::ds:: i know where ill be going from time to time :wink: the #4 is in my pocket today now :D i took some more pics today in the sun ::tu:: its nice for me to find something i can aford to collect in the world of pocket knives plus a knife with a cool long history ::tu::
Attachments
P1010032.jpg
P1010029.jpg
P1010030.jpg
P1010031-1.jpg
P1010030-1.jpg
Paul,

stressmaster5000

Post by stressmaster5000 »

I like them for the kitchen and picnics. I also would keep one in a camping bag with some other kitchen type paraphernalia.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Oh, now you've done it. You've given 'Z' a whole new set of Opinels to slobber over.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
davidketterer

Post by davidketterer »

Opinel steel is a bit on the soft side.

I love Opinels and have bought and modded a few. I still have 5-6 left.

Their carbon seems a little softer than 1095. I've read it was 1075 but I don't really have a clue.

Most of my EDC knife use is light duty anyway and an Opi will take a fantastic edge. It'll get that edge back easily also.

I like their modified 12c27. That and their carbon steel (which I prefer) are better than most of the 440A crap in many knives.

A harder 1095 or a quality AUS8 may do slightly better... at more cost.

It's still the very best cheap knife. Just be aware that the edge will roll with tough use. I am a machinist and I get an inexpensive folder out with my calipers and scale at the beginning of my day. I use it for everything from cutting cardboard to scraping metal. I've gone to a Mercator from an Opinel, I think the carbon steel is a little harder.

Just a case of the right tool for the job. An Opinel is a great "genteman's folder" for EDC. Beats the snot out of anything in its price range and many more costly folders.
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

very nice stressmaster 8) i do need some colour now, and yes jerry ha has put more ideas in my head lol,

thanks for the info david, yes i noticed the rolled edges and found they sharpen out pretty easy, i dont use mine for hard work as have tougher knives for these jobs, but for kitchen and garden use there great and my #4 and #5 handle most edc work ok, ::tu::
Paul,

woseyjales

Post by woseyjales »

As i understand it the carbon blade handles
have been varnished creating the orange tinge
while SS handles are left natural.

Here's a No.6 carboney with 'pocket wore' treatment.
Now Frenchy Fry golden color w/more grain showin'.
goldpan

Post by goldpan »

Great topic guys ::tu:: I just ordered A #7 and a #4 they should be here Saturday or Monday! I'll yall know what I think after I have used them for a while. I have wondered about these knives and now I get to learn first hand! Thanks to all for the info on these. Now I just have to wait.... ::nod::

Randy
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I see 'Z' is lurking but isn't saying anything. I miss ya 'Z'.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
goldpan

Post by goldpan »

Hey guys ::ds:: thanks for turning me onto these fabulous knives ::tu:: I have been playing with my #4 and #7 for a couple days now and I can't say enough. while #4 is a bit small, it does ride well in my front pocket. I used the #7 in the kitchen tonight to slice up some taters with and I must say I ain't never seen anything slice through a tuber like that before ::woot:: ::groove::

Randy
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Post by AREMINGTONSEDGE »

I do like them...alot. Very useful in the garden. ::tu:: This is one I pull out from the accumulation for intermittent outings. ::tu::
Attachments
000_0001.JPG
Rocky, AKA- AREMINGTONSEDGE
cb51

Post by cb51 »

goldpan wrote:Hey guys ::ds:: thanks for turning me onto these fabulous knives ::tu:: I have been playing with my #4 and #7 for a couple days now and I can't say enough. while #4 is a bit small, it does ride well in my front pocket. I used the #7 in the kitchen tonight to slice up some taters with and I must say I ain't never seen anything slice through a tuber like that before ::woot:: ::groove::

Randy
I don't think there are any other production knife that will slice and dice with an Opinel. As much as I love my Swiss Army knives, when theres real cutting to be done, like breaking down cardboard boxes, or garden work, one of my Opinels get dropped in a pocket. I've been known to carry two knives, my SAK tuner for the tools, and an Opinel for cutting things. But that's one of the great hints about Opinels; they are so light weight, you can't tell you have an extra knife in the pocket. ::tu::
stancaiman

Post by stancaiman »

cb51 wrote:
goldpan wrote:Hey guys ::ds:: thanks for turning me onto these fabulous knives ::tu:: I have been playing with my #4 and #7 for a couple days now and I can't say enough. while #4 is a bit small, it does ride well in my front pocket. I used the #7 in the kitchen tonight to slice up some taters with and I must say I ain't never seen anything slice through a tuber like that before ::woot:: ::groove::

Randy
I don't think there are any other production knife that will slice and dice with an Opinel. As much as I love my Swiss Army knives, when theres real cutting to be done, like breaking down cardboard boxes, or garden work, one of my Opinels get dropped in a pocket. I've been known to carry two knives, my SAK tuner for the tools, and an Opinel for cutting things. But that's one of the great hints about Opinels; they are so light weight, you can't tell you have an extra knife in the pocket. ::tu::
try the douk-douk ::tu:: it's like the opinel for theses tasks and prices are the same
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

stancaiman wrote: try the douk-douk ::tu:: it's like the opinel for theses tasks and prices are the same

:shock: :shock: They're asking $25-$40 on eBay for a douk-douk.

Edit: 20 € to 32 €
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
stancaiman

Post by stancaiman »

N° 9 opinel is between 9 and 13 € (depending handle and steel) (9cm Lenght blade)
a douk with 11cm lenght blade is around 13€
for me it's quite same :lol:
cb51

Post by cb51 »

I've never had a chance to try a Douk-Douk. I've never seen any for sale around here, and mail order seems to be twice what an Opinel is. I can pick up a number 7 or 8 Opinel for 10 to 12 dollars, but a equal size Douk-Douk is twice that. Plus, the Opinel has a blade lock, which I like.

One of these days, I may try one of I find one in a store, so I can examine it first. I hate buying strange things mail order.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Just received these.
Attachments
003.JPG
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Just got this plum colored Opinal. Didn't get good color rendition in the photo.
Attachments
005.JPG
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

I'm kinda getting into Opinels just for food prep got this #8 to go with my #7
Attachments
2013-01-12_21-09-53_88.jpg
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson

Return to “European-made knives”