George Wostenholm IXL Hawkbill

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Rusty1

George Wostenholm IXL Hawkbill

Post by Rusty1 »

posted this pic yesterday on another forum, although no takers on the era of the knife's manufacture, anybody here know? the handles are pressed horn and there is nothing stamped on the reverse side of the tang.

Thanks Rusty1
Attachments
IXL HAWKBILL.jpg
IXL HAWKBILL.jpg (74.15 KiB) Viewed 5363 times
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

Sorry I meant to reply on the other forum but the pressed horn threw me a little. The tang stamp could be anywhere from 1891 to about 1970s. With the England on the tang it was made 1891 or there after. It looks like it has grooved bolsters which I believe are characteristic of late 1800s or early 1900s. 'Oil the joints' was found on the reverse tang of many Wostenholms from about 1930-70s. Given the lack of production during the war my best estimate is 1891-1914 or just after WW1. However, I can't say I know forsure. Just my best attempt with the knowledge that I have. :) s-k
Rusty1

Post by Rusty1 »

s-k Thanks for that info, most appreciated, I am Actually from Luton, living since 2000 in Pennsylvania, I noted on your info that you are from Bedford, Small one, and all that,

Thanks again

Rusty1
knife-nut

Ixl hawkbill

Post by knife-nut »

Could you explain what pressed horn is? I'm not sure what it is.
Rusty1

Post by Rusty1 »

From what I understand, the pattern on the horn is made by, shaping a block of steel, concave rather like a mold, the inside of the block is then jigged or worked to make the final desired pattern, It is then heated up and pressed onto the horn to achive the look, in this case of
"popcorn stag"

Rusty1
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

Thanks for the explanation rusty1. It is a small world. I think that is a great looking knife by the way. Looks to be in excellent condition. I don't think they make them like that anymore. cheers! :) s-k
Rusty1

Post by Rusty1 »

s-k, Ta very much, the knife is in excellent condition, if you enlarge the image up all the way, you can see a tiny amount of shrinkage of the horn at the bolster, apart from that, everthing else is fine, and the snap, WHOW, you must take care folding it back into the handle, I don't think anything snaps like that these days. ::tu::

Rusty1
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

Rusty1, You're welcome. You need to get yourself and avatar to accompany your posts. Looking forward to seeing more from you here. What do you like to collect? :) s-k
Rusty1

Post by Rusty1 »

s-k, Mostly started out collecting Schrades, which a large part of my collection is centered around, USA models. I have a small collection of later Case knives of various styles, recently though I have had a thing for Canal Street Cutlery knives. (Hoping for more at Xmas.) Another type which is looking very attractive, is the Fightin Bull knives by Wendell Carson, ::drool::. If you haven't seen them, check them out on e-bay. I have been spending a lot of time concentrating on the Schrade collection, that I have only recently started; looking at the Older than 1950's type of knife manufacturer. The more I see the more I want. George Wostenholm caught my eye on several models, one of which is the Hawkbill above. Another Sheffield knife maker, of today at least, is Trevor Ablett, who has a nice range of folders, which he has listed on the web. No fancy handles, but nice work I'm sure. I don't have any type of style preference, although I have more Trappers :roll: than anything else. Whichever corner you turn, there is another knife to add to the collection, :D regarding the avatar, I will have to look out for something appropriate.

Rusty1
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

Just acquired an original copy of a supplement to the Penny Magazine dated April, 1844. The title of the supplement is A Day at the Sheffield Cutlery Works. There is a mention of the pressed horn process pretty much as you describe it rusty1. Thought you might be interested. Your knife is a great example. :) s-k

"Horn handles have a peculiarity in their mode of manufacture, which places them in a distinct rank. When horn is made hot, it becomes so soft and ductile that it may be pressed into moulds; and this circumstance is taken advantage of to give an ornamental device to horn handles....The mould for pressing is in two halves which close together like a pair of pincers. The mould is heated in a fire; the piece of horn is cut nearly to the requisite size, and put into it; and the mould is pressed in a powerful vice, whereby the horn receives the impress of the device. "
Rusty1

Post by Rusty1 »

s-k, Great piece of information regarding the pressed horn process, thank you, I must admit that before the Hawkbill had come into my possesion, I had never heard of pressed horn, really nice to see something that is not around much anymore. Xtra pleased with the aquistion of the Hawkbill, nice treasure, I am thinking. :D

Rusty1
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

You're welcome Rusty1 ::nod:: . I think it's a keeper. :) s-k

p.s. have any more little gems to show us.
Rusty1

Post by Rusty1 »

s-k, Not much else on the european/english types, as of now, the only other thing is a George Wostenholm straight razor, from the 20's or 30's
I was looking at another George Wostenholm, Hawkbill on E-bay yesterday, similar to my model although the handles were steel, molded to look like stag, It finished around Eleven last night, we had people round, and it slipped my memory totally, Oh well! next time.
I hope to start working on the lack of the above mentioned knives for my collection, once I Have completed putting together some more Canal Street Cutlery knives,

ATB

Rusty1
FRJ

Re: George Wostenholm IXL Hawkbill

Post by FRJ »

I wanted to bring this old thread back up for a few reasons. I was searching for a title and thread like this so I could show off my new Wostenholm pruner. There is an interesting back and forth about knives here. Most notably the process for making pressed horn.
smiling-knife wrote:Just acquired an original copy of a supplement to the Penny Magazine dated April, 1844. The title of the supplement is A Day at the Sheffield Cutlery Works. There is a mention of the pressed horn process pretty much as you describe it rusty1. Thought you might be interested. Your knife is a great example. :) s-k

"Horn handles have a peculiarity in their mode of manufacture, which places them in a distinct rank. When horn is made hot, it becomes so soft and ductile that it may be pressed into moulds; and this circumstance is taken advantage of to give an ornamental device to horn handles....The mould for pressing is in two halves which close together like a pair of pincers. The mould is heated in a fire; the piece of horn is cut nearly to the requisite size, and put into it; and the mould is pressed in a powerful vice, whereby the horn receives the impress of the device. "
Something completely new to me.

Also, Rusty's fabulous Hawkbill is always worth looking at.
And these fine chaps are still active here.

And to my nice pruner. 4 1/4" closed.
Thanks for looking.
Attachments
DSCN9296.JPG
DSCN9305.JPG
DSCN9307.JPG
DSCN9310.JPG
Joe

Return to “European-made knives”