VICTORINOX knives 1884- present SWISS ARMY KNIVES

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
kootenay joe

Re: VICTORINOX knives 1884- present SWISS ARMY KNIVES

Post by kootenay joe »

Here's one that is great for small children. The blade is thin enough to be flexible and with a perfectly round end it is a great peanut butter or jam spreader. Small children like to wave a knife around once they have it in hand but they have no idea where the blade tip is. As such even with supervision they and others are in harms way because children will wave the knife around but their nervous system as yet does not give information on position in space. With this round tip that is not sharpened around the curve, things are considerably safer.
It comes as a single blade but i can't find mine so i'm showing it in a multiblade SAK.
kj
Attachments
Picture 021.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here's a knife in what i hope is the original box. The printing on box is in English & German and stamped on box end is "Electrician". Knife is 93mm closed. Cross on handle is not in a shield or painted red. Tang has: "Victorinox/Switzerland/Stainless/Rostfrei"
Sorry about the shadows reflected by the blade.
Can anyone date this ? Is it an uncommon one ?
thanks, kj
Attachments
Picture 010.jpg
Picture 009.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is an unusual Victorinox, maybe it is not an SAK ?
4 1/4" Stag handles, 3 blades for hunting plus corkscrew and awl; master blade marked: "Victorinox/Switzerland/Stainless/Rostfrei"
This size and pattern has been made by many Solingen knife manufacturers. It is a common German folding knife for hunting (they Always have a corkscrew as it is traditional to have a swill of grog when the animal is down).
kj
Attachments
Picture 011.jpg
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

kootenay joe wrote:Here is an unusual Victorinox, maybe it is not an SAK ?
4 1/4" Stag handles, 3 blades for hunting plus corkscrew and awl; master blade marked: "Victorinox/Switzerland/Stainless/Rostfrei"
This size and pattern has been made by many Solingen knife manufacturers. It is a common German folding knife for hunting (they Always have a corkscrew as it is traditional to have a swill of grog when the animal is down).
kj

Technically a GAK (German Army Knife), as this is where the size (108mm originated), of which there were several models, of which yours was top of the line. Yours is called the Stag Hunter. If I remember, a German maker actually made the German Army Knife first and Adler Messer bought parts from Victorinox and made them up until the '90s for the Bundeswehr. Yours is missing a metal saw cover. Mine did too, but I got one from a German member on another forum. Doesn't make sense--why put a corkscrew on an army issue knife? Wouldn't a Phillips screwdriver be a better idea?

The saw cover on this cheap China made copy of my knife might work as a replacement. Mil-Tec GAK from SMKW. Just don't use the copy--the Mil-Tec copies are the lowest quality of all the different GAK makes.

https://www.smkw.com/west-german-bundes ... tary-knife

Here's my 108mm German Army Knife, made by Victorinox too
Photo0726.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Cody, thanks for the SAK info on my knives.
The reason for the corkscrew is that it is traditional in Germany to have a corkscrew on a hunting knife.
My son-in-law is of German heritage and lives in Northern Italy close to the border with Austria (i.e. in the Alps). He & my daughter hunt for Red Deer which is a smaller version of our elk. He sent me pics once of a successful hunt and it showed him blowing on a very long horn. This sound echoes through the surrounding mountains announcing to all the success (and tells those at home you likely will be late for dinner as the villages are in the mountains where the hunting occurs.
He also carries a sack of wine, but it could also be wine in a bottle. When the animal is field dressed the wine is uncorked and a celebratory toast with hunting partners occurs before the work of dragging the animal back to your car. (yes car, not truck in those areas).
The horn & the wine are important aspects of the hunt in that part of Europe.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Cody, thanks for telling me that my Stag Victorinox 'Hunter' knife is basically a GAK, of which i have 7. Two are the 2 blade Victorinox both of which have the metal saw guard. One is a 3 blade Victorinox. Two are "I.C.A.R.", one is "CCM" and one is "Mil-Tek" and it too has the metal saw guard.
kj
Attachments
Picture 017.jpg
Picture 015.jpg
Picture 016.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is a new arrival, just under 4" "Elsener Schwyz / Swiss Made" with "42" on the back tang. Solid sturdy knife.
kj
Attachments
Picture 009.jpg
Picture 008.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

This is a 3" pen knife marked on master front tang: Victorinox/Switzerland/Stainless/Rostfrei; and on the back "Victoria" with a crossbow through it.
The handles look to be real tortoise yet these markings indicate fairly recent manufacture.
If you have any information about this knife i would appreciate it getting posted.
thanks, kj
Attachments
Picture 016.jpg
Picture 015.jpg
Picture 014.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here are 3 Alox SAK and a question.
First up is a new release i think, the Pioneer X, which is the same as the Farmer except it has scissors in place of a saw.
Second is an Orange Alox Farmer.
Third is a Pioneer Harvester. It is the same as the Farmer except it has a small Hawkbill blade in place of the can opener/small screwdriver.
The names i have given are on the sealed boxes they came in. But are they correct ? The Pioneer Harvester and the Farmer are close to the same. Is the full name for the Farmer, the Pioneer Farmer ?
thanks for any help with getting names correct.
kj
Attachments
Pioneer X
Pioneer X
Pioneer Harvester
Pioneer Harvester
Farmer
Farmer
cato

Post by cato »

nice ones,,,

here is a WENGER TAHARA SOLDIER I THINK

MAYBE ORIGINAL POUCH
Attachments
IMG_1042.JPG
IMG_1043.JPG
IMG_1044.JPG
IMG_1049.JPG
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Cato, your Wenger Tahara Soldier looks similar to the Elsener Schwyz i posted above. Are these the same pattern, made to Swiss Army specs. one by Wenger & the other by Elsener ?
kj
cato

Post by cato »

Think so, this has wenger over tahara on main and a p on the backside

which means it was a private sale or public sale not army issue i believe

all i know , wish ole junebug would show up
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Lets pump some life into this!!! HUH???? John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Here's one for big kids. 4 3/4 inches closed.
Attachments
20170202_202149.jpg
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
mountainad82

Post by mountainad82 »

I received this Victorinox 108mm Trooper knife as a gift from my parents in the early 80's. It was branded as a Swiss Army Officer's Knife. Has anyone else seen this knife branded as such?
Attachments
IMG_5006.JPG
IMG_5007.JPG
IMG_5009.JPG
IMG_5010.JPG
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Knice collection Joe!!

I must say a VIC SAK Classic is what made me aware of knife carry daily. It was probably 17 years ago and this fellow ordered some with his business name printed on them (Ad specialties is my main gig)....and he gifted me one. I lost his but can confidently say there's not a day
since then that I haven't carried a SAK of some size.

Right now I'm toting this one...
Attachments
20170108_103022.jpg
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Greg, here's it's brother. The Wenger Ranger 51 with a pushbutton lock release. It is not assisted.
Attachments
Wenger Ranger 51 - Open.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Toejammer

Post by Toejammer »

I know Hoffritz was an importer, and most of their SAK's were made by Victorinox, but I'm not sure about this one. Tang stamped Hoffritz NY over Made in Germany. My understanding was that after WWII German imports were branded with West Germany, making this pre war. I'm confused,... but it's a nifty, well built SAK for sure !

A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Bruce Lee
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

Thanks for all the information . ::tu:: I gotten the SAK BUG bad. ::tu::
Keep Near the Cross.
toolboy

Post by toolboy »

I was honored to receive this Tie-Tac from Charles and Veronika Elsener after they had bought several vintage, USA made,
knives from my table at the 2011 Blade Show. They were acquiring knives to put in the museum at their USA headquarters.
A very delightful, and down to earth, couple. They had employees that served as a translator and negotiator.
Attachments
DSC05718.JPG
DSC05719.JPG
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Neat, so now i bet you wear a tie to knife shows.
kj
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

DSC04064.JPG
Wenger Evo-grip 18.. Keep thisun in my daypack.. John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
eveled

Post by eveled »

The 4 blade Victorinox in the background, was my very first knife. It has a quarter round awl, no toothpick or tweezers. It also had a relatively fancy bail.

I got it in 1975, from my Dad. He mentioned at work that I had asked for a knife. One of his co workers gave him this knife to give me. It was a time before multitools, there weren't even complex SAKs around.

I used it for everything, tightened every screw I could find, drilled 1000 holes with the awl, opened every can my mother needed, chose soda in glass bottles so I could use the opener (even if it was a twist off). I would have killed for a wine bottle to open. Suffice to say I was not surprised at all by what the original Mc Giver could do with his.
Attachments
IMG_20171227_105318718.jpg
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

postby eveled » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:09 pm

The 4 blade Victorinox in the background, was my very first knife. It has a quarter round awl,

one of mine has a Phillips head screw driver that has nail file . took me years to find it. LOL One has a plain awl and the other has a hole for leather sewing. as per a YouTube video.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Here is a collector's set I picked up at the flea market yesterday for $50. Supposed to be worth a lot of money.
Attachments
WengerCollection#2184TheLife 2018 $50 1 005.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!

Return to “European-made knives”