VICTORINOX knives 1884- present SWISS ARMY KNIVES

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
junebug

Re: VICTORINOX knives 1884- present SWISS ARMY KNIVES

Post by junebug »

I DO NOT KNOW ABOUT THE NEW STYLE....
I WAS INTO THEM IN THE "ALOX" PHASE........ NEW ONES JUST DONT DO IT FOR ME ::undecided::

BUT ON "ALOX SOLDIERS"
they are all the same bro..... (my understanding is the new style are the EXACT SAME WAY)
only difference is a SCALE marking , that SAID COUNTRY chooses to have put on by the factory
-sometimes this is a letter or number engraved in the "initial engrave plate"..........but not always
again it is how that COUNTRY chooses to have victorinox do "THEIR RUN"
they are all special runs........ so LIMITED and not every run may be exact same

i could go on and on.... but it would be about ALOX SOLDIER..... ::nod::

ALOX - HARD TO FIND...... USUALLY START AROUND $500
AND ARE RARELY FUND IN US MARKET......EBAY IT "ALMOST" YER ONLY BET!
THEY ARE VERY VALUABLE,COLLECTIBLE , AND RARE!!!!!!!!!! DID I MENTION RARE!!!!??????

I WAS INTO THEM FOR 4 YEARS.........HEAVY!!
NEVER COULD AFFORD A SINGLE ONE THAT CAME UP FOR SALE..... AND I SPEND A CRAP TON ON KNIVES A YEAR ::mdm:: :oops:

THERE ARE MANY MANY (I MEAN A LOT!!) FOREIGN COUNTRIES....SOME I NEVER EVEN HEARD OF (MAINLY AFRICA) THAT USED OR DID USE A VICTORINOX ALOX SOLDIER..... I MAY HAVE LISTED THEM HERE ON AAPK IN PAST??? DO A SEARCH MAYBE?????????

GOOD LUCK BRO!!!
THEY ARE FUN KNIVES TO COLLECT
I HAD TO STOP BUYING THE RED CELL UNITS...... AS THEY NEVER DID HOLD ANY RESALE VALUE IMPO, AND I TRIED TO BUY/SELL THEM FOR 1 FULL YEAR ::td::
ALOX..... NOW THEY BRING SOME BUCKS!!!! ::groove:: ::tu::
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Speaking of Alox knives, this is the only one I have (or ever could afford!). This was purchased in the early '90s by my great-grandfather shortly before his death in '93. I used to carry it quite a bit when I was first into knives, as I preferred the sturdy Alox to Cellidor, but I decided to never carry it again, as it is a family heirloom. On eBay this knife tends to bring more than $100, just another reason to not carry it. I have a beat-up and practically worthless Colonial SAK-style knife with the same tools that I keep as a backup for my Victorinox Fieldmaster which is my usual everyday carry knife.
Attachments
0127100751-00.jpg
junebug

Post by junebug »

:mrgreen:
8) ::nod::
Attachments
DSCN3751.JPG
DSCN3748.JPG
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Post by AREMINGTONSEDGE »

Nice little parcel of knives ya got JB! Great to see a post from you. Have a good day buddy! ::tu:: ::super_happy::
Rocky, AKA- AREMINGTONSEDGE
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::tu:: l like my Deluxe Tinker, it has all the tools that I need with no tools that I don't need. I carry it when I drive bus on field trips, it really comes in handy for fixing sports equipment and any other small jobs that come along. ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
leggo

Post by leggo »

I carried the black one for about 3 years every day...real handy and when you need a saw , it's great. The red 2 blade fits in the pocket nice. The purple one just lives in a tube , like the Mountain Climber lives in a box. ::shrug::
I think for the money they are like WD-40 ...doesn't cost a lot ,but they work when you need em.
Attachments
1458266450390.jpg
junebug

Post by junebug »

JUST SOME RANDOM SAK PIX............... 8)
Attachments
DSCN5454.JPG
DSCN3811.JPG
DSCN3946.JPG
DSCN4099.JPG
DSCN5232.JPG
- Junebug 2016
junebug

Post by junebug »

8) 8)
Attachments
DSCN5493.JPG
DSCN5490.JPG
DSCN5502.JPG
DSCN5455.JPG
- Junebug 2016
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I am posting to show my accumulation of SAK. I say "accumulation" because there is no focus on any particular model, or tools, etc., just about 120 different models/types of these iconic working knives.
I will do a second post to show some individual knives and ask a few questions.
kj
Attachments
Picture 003.jpg
Picture 001.jpg
Picture 002.jpg
Picture 008.jpg
Picture 004.jpg
Picture 006.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is the Alox SAK i carry with me always. Slender yet strong with 3 blades: one to slice/cut. one to saw and one to poke with: = most bases covered with a light weight knife that you do not even notice in your pocket:

I cannot figure out how to place the correct text with it's picture so i will just do 1 knife per post & spread it out over a few daze.
kj
Attachments
Picture 020.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

This is a sweet knife, an older style of SAK. This one is marked on the master tang: "Wengerinox" under a crossbow, and "56" on the rear tang. I think 56 is the year not a model number. Hoping someone will confirm or correct this.
kj
Attachments
Picture 017.jpg
Picture 015.jpg
Picture 016.jpg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

kootenay joe wrote: I cannot figure out how to place the correct text with it's picture so i will just do 1 knife per post & spread it out over a few daze.
kj
I'm not positive this is what you're talking about but don't be offended if I'm telling you something you already know.

The limit is still ten images per post. (last time I checked)

Enter the text you want associated with the picture and then place your cursor on the next line down (or two lines if you prefer more space between the text and the image.)
Stacking Images In A Post.jpg

Vic Alox Farmer Orange (ordered Oct 5th 2015).jpg
Match the text (you can place it on top of or beneath the image you're posting) Just click on the (") quote button on my post and you'll see how I did it.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

kootenay joe wrote:This is a sweet knife, an older style of SAK. This one is marked on the master tang: "Wengerinox" under a crossbow, and "56" on the rear tang. I think 56 is the year not a model number. Hoping someone will confirm or correct this.
kj

Yep. This means it was made in 1956. It's a model 1951 and made by Wenger.

All Soldiers have had a two-digit date stamp since sometime in the late '20s. I have two Soldiers a "93" marked model 1961, and a "13" (really should have gotten a different year stamp, 13 is not a good number, but it's an awesome knife) Soldier '08.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

That's a heckuva SAK collection :shock:
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks Scott. It does not look like much or even interesting when shown in big groups like i have done but there are many different styles, all true SAK's. Some very neat knives in there.
Here is a black handled 7 'thick', 87mm ( ~ 3 3/8") SAK marked: "Wenger(crossbow logo)/Delemont/Switzerland/Stainless"
If you know anything about this knife, including emblem on handle, please post.
thanks, kj
ps, i will try advice given above re text & pictures when i feel up to it. i am computer phobic (never had a phobia ever before this)
Attachments
Picture 014.jpg
Picture 012.jpg
Picture 013.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here's one that is great for small children. The blade is thin enough to be flexible and with a perfectly round end it is a great peanut butter or jam spreader. Small children like to wave a knife around once they have it in hand but they have no idea where the blade tip is. As such even with supervision they and others are in harms way because children will wave the knife around but their nervous system as yet does not give information on position in space. With this round tip that is not sharpened around the curve, things are considerably safer.
It comes as a single blade but i can't find mine so i'm showing it in a multiblade SAK.
kj
Attachments
Picture 021.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here's a knife in what i hope is the original box. The printing on box is in English & German and stamped on box end is "Electrician". Knife is 93mm closed. Cross on handle is not in a shield or painted red. Tang has: "Victorinox/Switzerland/Stainless/Rostfrei"
Sorry about the shadows reflected by the blade.
Can anyone date this ? Is it an uncommon one ?
thanks, kj
Attachments
Picture 010.jpg
Picture 009.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is an unusual Victorinox, maybe it is not an SAK ?
4 1/4" Stag handles, 3 blades for hunting plus corkscrew and awl; master blade marked: "Victorinox/Switzerland/Stainless/Rostfrei"
This size and pattern has been made by many Solingen knife manufacturers. It is a common German folding knife for hunting (they Always have a corkscrew as it is traditional to have a swill of grog when the animal is down).
kj
Attachments
Picture 011.jpg
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

kootenay joe wrote:Here is an unusual Victorinox, maybe it is not an SAK ?
4 1/4" Stag handles, 3 blades for hunting plus corkscrew and awl; master blade marked: "Victorinox/Switzerland/Stainless/Rostfrei"
This size and pattern has been made by many Solingen knife manufacturers. It is a common German folding knife for hunting (they Always have a corkscrew as it is traditional to have a swill of grog when the animal is down).
kj

Technically a GAK (German Army Knife), as this is where the size (108mm originated), of which there were several models, of which yours was top of the line. Yours is called the Stag Hunter. If I remember, a German maker actually made the German Army Knife first and Adler Messer bought parts from Victorinox and made them up until the '90s for the Bundeswehr. Yours is missing a metal saw cover. Mine did too, but I got one from a German member on another forum. Doesn't make sense--why put a corkscrew on an army issue knife? Wouldn't a Phillips screwdriver be a better idea?

The saw cover on this cheap China made copy of my knife might work as a replacement. Mil-Tec GAK from SMKW. Just don't use the copy--the Mil-Tec copies are the lowest quality of all the different GAK makes.

https://www.smkw.com/west-german-bundes ... tary-knife

Here's my 108mm German Army Knife, made by Victorinox too
Photo0726.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Cody, thanks for the SAK info on my knives.
The reason for the corkscrew is that it is traditional in Germany to have a corkscrew on a hunting knife.
My son-in-law is of German heritage and lives in Northern Italy close to the border with Austria (i.e. in the Alps). He & my daughter hunt for Red Deer which is a smaller version of our elk. He sent me pics once of a successful hunt and it showed him blowing on a very long horn. This sound echoes through the surrounding mountains announcing to all the success (and tells those at home you likely will be late for dinner as the villages are in the mountains where the hunting occurs.
He also carries a sack of wine, but it could also be wine in a bottle. When the animal is field dressed the wine is uncorked and a celebratory toast with hunting partners occurs before the work of dragging the animal back to your car. (yes car, not truck in those areas).
The horn & the wine are important aspects of the hunt in that part of Europe.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Cody, thanks for telling me that my Stag Victorinox 'Hunter' knife is basically a GAK, of which i have 7. Two are the 2 blade Victorinox both of which have the metal saw guard. One is a 3 blade Victorinox. Two are "I.C.A.R.", one is "CCM" and one is "Mil-Tek" and it too has the metal saw guard.
kj
Attachments
Picture 017.jpg
Picture 015.jpg
Picture 016.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is a new arrival, just under 4" "Elsener Schwyz / Swiss Made" with "42" on the back tang. Solid sturdy knife.
kj
Attachments
Picture 009.jpg
Picture 008.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

This is a 3" pen knife marked on master front tang: Victorinox/Switzerland/Stainless/Rostfrei; and on the back "Victoria" with a crossbow through it.
The handles look to be real tortoise yet these markings indicate fairly recent manufacture.
If you have any information about this knife i would appreciate it getting posted.
thanks, kj
Attachments
Picture 016.jpg
Picture 015.jpg
Picture 014.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here are 3 Alox SAK and a question.
First up is a new release i think, the Pioneer X, which is the same as the Farmer except it has scissors in place of a saw.
Second is an Orange Alox Farmer.
Third is a Pioneer Harvester. It is the same as the Farmer except it has a small Hawkbill blade in place of the can opener/small screwdriver.
The names i have given are on the sealed boxes they came in. But are they correct ? The Pioneer Harvester and the Farmer are close to the same. Is the full name for the Farmer, the Pioneer Farmer ?
thanks for any help with getting names correct.
kj
Attachments
Pioneer X
Pioneer X
Pioneer Harvester
Pioneer Harvester
Farmer
Farmer
cato

Post by cato »

nice ones,,,