Some Finns

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Bulldog-Arne

Re: Some Finns

Post by Bulldog-Arne »

I really like the horsehead knives, must be the Scandinavian genes.
Not all of them are small. Saw one, a Kauhava, which was about 23 cm. It was an old beauty with bright red handle. Another one was 27 cm, rather large. Unfortunately I dont´t have any myself, yet. So I don´t collect them but I very well could think about purchase one, at least.
kootenay joe

Re: Some Finns

Post by kootenay joe »

This old thread needs re-vitalizing ! Here are 2 just arrived Puukkos from Finland.
The small knife is 4 1/2" OAL, blade is 2 1/4". It might look like a tourist item but it is not. This design & size has been made unchanged for hundreds of years. They are used for light cutting around the house, for example in a sewing kit to rip out seams. This one is unused and hair popping sharp.
The horsehead knife is 8 3/4" OAL which is on the larger size for the 'home market'. Production knife, i don't know how old, the design has not changed in over 50 ? years. Probably post WW II. Also shaving sharp and feels 'awesome' in hand. I believe 'production' in Finland still involves hands on work.
There are a few different styles of Puukkos made in Finland. If you have never owned one you are missing one of the knife world's best user knives. They sharpen up to a razor and hold it well; and minimalist in hand, no guard, so hold it properly with focus and attention.
kj
Attachments
Picture 011.jpg
Picture 012.jpg
Picture 014.jpg
Picture 015.jpg

Return to “European-made knives”