VICTORINOX knives 1884- present SWISS ARMY KNIVES

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
cody6268

Re: VICTORINOX knives 1884- present SWISS ARMY KNIVES

Post by cody6268 »

woodwalker wrote:Found this Victorinox Mini Champ today. I'm liking this little one. Alot of tools for such a small package! :)
And an early one too! Those lack the Phillips screwdriver/bottle opener. I have two newer ones; one needs some scales, or at least the secondhand scales I stuck on it to replace the pen scale I broke glued on.
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

cody6268 wrote:
woodwalker wrote:Found this Victorinox Mini Champ today. I'm liking this little one. Alot of tools for such a small package! :)
And an early one too! Those lack the Phillips screwdriver/bottle opener. I have two newer ones; one needs some scales, or at least the secondhand scales I stuck on it to replace the pen scale I broke glued on.
Thank you Cody. Any idea how early? I googled it and it says it has a ballpoint pen. But this one does not.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

woodwalker wrote:
cody6268 wrote:
Thank you Cody. Any idea how early? I googled it and it says it has a ballpoint pen. But this one does not.
First of all, any numbers embossed into the bottom of the tray in the box? Quite often, they embossed the year on the bottom of that insert tray. The box itself seems like a 1990s box.

According to the SAK Wiki, the current model was introduced in 1994. Given when the pharmaceutical models some of its tools came from (cuticle pusher/pill counter blade, orange peeler/safety band cutter, and the Wharncliffe/tracheotomy blade) I'm guessing early-mid 1990s? The box seems to be of that vintage as well Oh, and early ones didn't have retractable pens, but the toothpick as most 58mms do.

https://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=MiniChamp
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

Thanks so much for the info Cody! The plastic insert does not have any numbers on the bottom. But on the sides it has some symbals. One side says XX-2V. And the other side has 17. On the side of the cardboard box it says Mini champ Pocket 53971. The actual warranty is in the inside of the box cover. Thank you for the link to the Mini Champ. I really like this little knife!! :) Still has oIL on the blades. I don't think this one was used at all. Some rub marks on the scale but blades and tools appear to have original oil on them. ::handshake::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Can you show me an example of the "tracheotomy blade" ? I am not sure which one it is.
thanks, kj
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

kootenay joe wrote:Can you show me an example of the "tracheotomy blade" ? I am not sure which one it is.
thanks, kj
It's also been called an "Emergency Blade", but is basically a Wharncliffe blade designed for emergency surgical use (but I personally find myself using that blade almost exclusively on my MiniChamp). It originated on a version of the Classic made for Lilly Pharmaceuticals; who seemed to always want that blade on their ad knives. Tomorrow, I will try to get a photo up of my MiniChamp, and an old 3-blade Eli Lilly version of the Schrade Walden Senator that also has a Wharncliffe secondary blade (blades are spear point, Wharncliffe, and nail file).
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

If it is the Wharncliffe blade no need to show it. I thought it might be more of a surgical style blade. I would prefer a thin sharp pen blade over a Wharncliffe for dissecting tissues. As the belly near the tip slices down you can better see to make adjustment for depth of cut and direction of cut.
It's a bit hard to explain why some belly is better that a straight cutting edge.for dissecting tissue. However in an emergency situation it is not easy to do a tracheotomy with any blade.
kj
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

cody6268 wrote:
It's also been called an "Emergency Blade", but is basically a Wharncliffe blade designed for emergency surgical use (but I personally find myself using that blade almost exclusively on my MiniChamp). It originated on a version of the Classic made for Lilly Pharmaceuticals; who seemed to always want that blade on their ad knives. Tomorrow, I will try to get a photo up of my MiniChamp, and an old 3-blade Eli Lilly version of the Schrade Walden Senator that also has a Wharncliffe secondary blade (blades are spear point, Wharncliffe, and nail file).
Similar to this Imperial?
Attachments
Lilly Imperial USA-1.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have a few knives with a similar blade with the concave curve to the edge. Always wondered what it is intended for. My guess was/is to trim cuticle from base of fingernail.
kj
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

This Pioneer should hit my mailbox today. I hope that Berry Red Alox is as vibrant in person as it is in the stock picture.
Attachments
Victorinox Pioneer Berry Red ALOX.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

gsmith7158 wrote:I always carry mine in the truck. It has seen some rough duty! ::tu::
The one I have and like best is my Wenger Field Dresser...
It has one more blade than yours Greg and that is the blade I like most.
The blade up at 45 degrees on the right has a blunt and rounded tip. It is nice to be able to slide this one under the skin of a deer and push up and away from yourself. Cuts that old hide nicely without cutting into the meat!
Wenger Field Dresser.JPG
:D
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Just added another to my ever growing pile.. ::facepalm:: A Spartan with a serrated main blade... ::tu::
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

jmh58 wrote:Just added another to my ever growing pile.. ::facepalm:: A Spartan with a serrated main blade... ::tu::
Well where is the picture?
I wanna see that knife!

jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Meridian_Mike wrote:
jmh58 wrote:Just added another to my ever growing pile.. ::facepalm:: A Spartan with a serrated main blade... ::tu::
Well where is the picture?
I wanna see that knife!

Soon.. :oops:

Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

That Berry Red Alox looks great. So good in fact that this evening I may go looking for one myself.
muskratt

Post by muskratt »

Here is a new pick up from the gun show over the weekend. Victorinox cigar cutter. It was in a junk pile of knives, its is new and still had the plastic protector on handles, but no box.
20191007_092626.jpg
::super_happy::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Quick Steel wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:01 pm That Berry Red Alox looks great. So good in fact that this evening I may go looking for one myself.
Looks as good or better in hand. Let us know if you pick one up.

muskratt wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:31 pm Here is a new pick up from the gun show over the weekend. Victorinox cigar cutter. It was in a junk pile of knives, its is new and still had the plastic protector on handles, but no box.20191007_092626.jpg ::super_happy::
What a great find. Congratulations.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

DSC06700.JPG
DSC06703.JPG
DSC06704.JPG
Serrated Spartan and A Camper that I recently picked up..

muskratt

Post by muskratt »

::tu:: great pick ups ::handshake::
jmh58 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:01 pm DSC06700.JPGDSC06703.JPGDSC06704.JPG

jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

muskratt wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:41 pm ::tu:: great pick ups ::handshake::

Thank You!! ::handshake::

cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I got that Serrated Spartan from REI recently when they had a half off sale on them. I like the serrated blade of the bigger knives, but A: I'm not a fan of the ergonomics the one-handed blade has--the Spyderco-style opener makes everything else painful to use; and secondly, it's a bit big. To get the serrated blade in non-OH 111mm, it's only with the Picknicker (kinda like a bigger version of the Serrated Spartan; on a 111mm frame) and Helmsman. The Serrated Spartan puts that cutting power into a standard-sized SAK. I don't care what you cut--the serrated blade makes really quick work out of it. From rope, to vines/brush, to hose; it goes through it like nothing.

WIsh more SAKs had those nylon scales. They're standard on 111mm and available on all models. Withholding special runs; nylon on 84mm/91mm models is limited to the Economy/II models which only consist of the Huntsman, Camper, Climber, Spartan, Sportsman, and in some markets, the Tinker. Cellidor is close to cellulose acetate (but formulated to not shrink/outgas); which most cutlery makers moved away from the 1960s. It's brittle (with heavy, regular use; I'm lucky if a set lasts me a year); and very sensitive to certain solvents. On the farm, I'm always working around diesel and gasoline. Diesel will eat Cellidor, but won't hurt Delrin, Zytel, and nylon at all. Get as little as diesel residue off my hands on Cellidor, and it will leave a pitted spot on the plastic.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Cody.. Thanks for your post!! ::tu:: I got mine at REI on sale but not half off!! :lol: Thanks for the info on the Cellidor covers too!!! I do like the nylon covers better also..

jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

DSC06756.JPG
Walker.. To walk this thread into 2020... ::facepalm:: ::sotb::

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I received this Alox Victorinox Soldier - 1961 Design, from Bfeldman in the 2020 POS exchange. A POS it is not. A keeper it is.
Attachments
Victorinox Soldier - 1961 Design.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

jerryd6818 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:28 am I received this Alox Victorinox Soldier - 1961 Design, from Bfeldman in the 2020 POS exchange. A POS it is not. A keeper it is.
I'll say it's a keeper!
Tisk, tisk...... one man's POS is another man's treasure!
(Isn't that how the old saying goes?)

Nice one Jerry!
::tu::

Return to “European-made knives”