Wade Wingfield & Rowbotham

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
GerryD

Wade Wingfield & Rowbotham

Post by GerryD »

Picked this up at the weekend. Its a bit strange having different stamps on each blade. The large blade is simple in its stamped No 82 Tenter Street Sheffield, so Wade Wingfield & Rowbotham. The next blade is stamped Baxter Bury St Edmunds and thats what attracted me to the knife,I live close to Bury so that was my interest. I've done a quick search and come up with "Baxter Samuel, cutler, 95 St. John's street, Bury St Edmunds ". The smallest blade is stamped H Green, the owner maybe? The scales are stage or bone can't make my mind up and are riveted with "birds eye rivets", it has metal liners and bolster.
Attachments
_DSC2777.jpg
_DSC2778.jpg
_DSC2776.jpg
_DSC2771.jpg
_DSC2772.jpg
_DSC2773.jpg
knife7knut

Re: Wade Wingfield & Rowbotham

Post by knife7knut »

Beautiful old knife Gerry! W-W-R I believe was out of business in the 1850's and the birdseye rivets should further confirm the date to around 1840 or so.Does it have one piece liners/bolsters? That's another indicator. I have a small stag handled single blade knife with birdseye rivets by Charles Congreve who was out of business in the 1840's.
The only item I have with their stamp is a 7 day straight razor set with a presentation shield on the box dated 1899. Strange that they sat around for nearly forty years before being presented to someone. A little research told me that the other name on the box(Whiteaway & Laidlaw Co.)was a retailer in India;a British colony at the time so it is possible that they languished there. Also the regiment the presentee was affiliated with was based in India.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!

Return to “European-made knives”