My first Cold Steel knives

A place to discuss modern tactical knives like Benchmade, Spyderco, Kershaw, Cold Steel, CRKT, and more.
desmobob

Re: My first Cold Steel knives

Post by desmobob »

KLJ77 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:37 am Bob, Garry...I got my little blue 6" Tuff Lite today. I love this knife. Very impressed...great snap, open & closing, smooth opening.

Now...I must be living right, or something. The lock release on my knife is super smooth to depress and unlock the open blade. No discomfort on the end of the thumb, not stiff, tight or hard to depress. I put a touch of pivot oil on the pivot joint and it's even better. ::shrug:: Maybe with all the negative reviews this knife was getting due to how hard it was to unlock the open blade, Cold Steel did some tweaking to alleviate the issue, or I'm just a fortunate type of guy. :roll:

Nevertheless Bob...I have your instructions saved for future reference just incase. ::tu::
Congratulations! You are the winner of a small but nice prize in the Cold Steel lottery: a properly adjusted lock mechanism! :wink:

How's the sharpness? Every one of my Cold Steel knives has been shaving sharp out of the package. I mean really shaving sharp.
Bob

Gold is for the mistress -- silver for the maid --
Copper for the craftsman cunning at his trade.
"Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
"But Iron -- Cold Iron -- is master of them all."
~Rudyard Kipling
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

How's the sharpness? Every one of my Cold Steel knives has been shaving sharp out of the package. I mean really shaving sharp.
Bob...I can't say mine came 'shaving sharp', but it is sharp. It would not shave hair off my arm, but with a bit of touch up with my Buck Tri steel on the fine side, it wouldn't take much to get it there. Nevertheless, I'm very pleased with this little fellow. It will get some hard use.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Yinz are BAD, BAD, BAD people.. ::facepalm:: Just ordered a Tuff-Lite in OD Green.. ::tu:: My first Cold Steel.. ::dang:: ::tu:: :lol:
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
desmobob

Post by desmobob »

jmh58 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:58 pm Yinz are BAD, BAD, BAD people.. ::facepalm:: Just ordered a Tuff-Lite in OD Green.. ::tu:: My first Cold Steel.. ::dang:: ::tu:: :lol:
Congrats!

The Tuff Lite is one I always seem to have in a shopping cart but never seem to order. Time to change that!
Bob

~Rudyard Kipling
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

desmobob wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:00 am
jmh58 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:58 pm Yinz are BAD, BAD, BAD people.. ::facepalm:: Just ordered a Tuff-Lite in OD Green.. ::tu:: My first Cold Steel.. ::dang:: ::tu:: :lol:
Congrats!

The Tuff Lite is one I always seem to have in a shopping cart but never seem to order. Time to change that!
Thanks Bob.. ::handshake:: I was the same way.. Just decided it was time.. ::facepalm:: :lol: Looking forward to trying this out.. ::hmm::

jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

On its way to "The Rocks" ... ::ds::

jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

jmh58 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:35 pm
::pace:: ::pace:: ::hmm::

jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

jmh58 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:25 pm
jmh58 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:35 pm
::pace:: ::pace:: ::hmm::

jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Out for Delivery!!! ::fc:: ::clapping:: ::clapping:: ::fc::

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

The only ColdSteel I have are a Kudu (Okapi look alike) and a Twistmaster (Opinel look alike). The Twistmaster is a beast. It's huge.
Attachments
Cold Steel Kudu - Labeled.JPG
Cold Steel Twistmaster Labeled.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:00 pm The only ColdSteel I have are a Kudu (Okapi look alike) and a Twistmaster (Opinel look alike). The Twistmaster is a beast. It's huge.
jerry. What is the oal and blade length on that Twistmaster?? 🤩
John ✌️

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Close enough for government work.
Cold Steel Twistmaster Closed.JPG
Cold Steel Twistmaster.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

93ADCA11-67B2-4280-BAE4-2EC4C4E63F77.jpeg
Tuff Lite. 🎶🤩🎶
John ✌️
Attachments
A729392D-B9A8-43C3-B039-5961C354EE00.jpeg

jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:23 pm Close enough for government work.
Cold Steel Twistmaster Closed.JPG
Cold Steel Twistmaster.JPG
Thank You 🙏. That is a biggen. 👍😎👍
John ✌️

QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

I like the OD, John. Nice pick up. :mrgreen:

Am curious about the lock release on yours...hard or not so hard to release?
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

QTCut5 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:48 pm I like the OD, John. Nice pick up. :mrgreen:

Am curious about the lock release on yours...hard or not so hard to release?
Thank You 🙏 Q. Hard but if ya lift up on the blade while unlocking it, it releases just fine. 👍
John ✌️

desmobob

Post by desmobob »

My Recon Tanto is due to be delivered tomorrow, and my Kobun and Canadian Belt Knife the day after that... ::tu::

I rarely used a fixed-blade knife theses days and have been picking the Cold Steel folders that I like, but I figured I'd better pick up a few of their affordable fixed-blades just in case the new owners change the line-up.
Bob

~Rudyard Kipling
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

desmobob wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:39 pm My Recon Tanto is due to be delivered tomorrow, and my Kobun and Canadian Belt Knife the day after that... ::tu::

I rarely used a fixed-blade knife theses days and have been picking the Cold Steel folders that I like, but I figured I'd better pick up a few of their affordable fixed-blades just in case the new owners change the line-up.
Nice!!!👏
John ✌️

desmobob

Post by desmobob »

jmh58 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:37 pm Nice!!!👏
John ✌️
Thanks for the encouragement, John. Sometimes I get feeling a little guilty when I spend money on knives I know I'll probably never use. :oops:

::tu::
Bob

~Rudyard Kipling
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

desmobob wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:04 am
jmh58 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:37 pm Nice!!!👏
John ✌️
Thanks for the encouragement, John. Sometimes I get feeling a little guilty when I spend money on knives I know I'll probably never use. :oops:

::tu::
Nothing wrong with that!!👍😎👍
John ✌️

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I don't usually peruse the MTK forum, but I did today and found this link. The 4 C/S knives I'm posting have been posted before in other threads, but when I saw this link for C/S knives I thought I'd share em' here with you too. The first is a C/S Grivory "Tai Pan" and was my 1st C/S knife. It's 13" oal with both edges relatively sharp for a non-metal knife. Prior to buying it I watched a C/S video review of the knife, and when I saw them clasp it in a bench vise and bend it almost 90 degrees without it breaking, I had to have one. The CDN$12. price helped me decide also, that and the fact that the metal model was sold out on every site I checked. The second knife is the metal version, and it's also 13" oal with both edges shaving-sharp. I wanted the model with the white satin blade, but it remained sold out, although, I've found some on Ebay and I'm wrestling with myself whether I should purchase one to complete the set. Knowing me I'll probably buy it! The third knife is a recent purchase and it's a MONSTER! It's a C/S 13 1/4" oal "Holdout" model that won the decision of whether to buy it or the 13" "Counter Point XL" or 13" "Luzon" models. I keep looking at the last 2, so I may get those eventually as well. The last knife is the 12" oal C/S "Paradox" look-a-like butterfly slip-joint, and since I want a butterfly for my collection this one has the look without the ability to "flip". Balisongs are prohibited in Canada, so this knife is a good substitute, along with it being a very cool folder. It MUST be opened with 2 hands due to half-stops and springs, and is impossible to "flip". With a lot of modification it could be converted, but I'm not that big a fan of Balisongs, so I'll be satisfied that it looks like one. I still want at least 1 genuine Balisong in my collection, so I'll have to wait for the right circumstances to purchase one! 8)
WIN_20210907_12_05_23_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210907_12_05_41_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210907_12_06_53_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210907_12_06_14_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210907_12_37_23_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210907_12_37_36_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210907_12_37_52_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210907_12_38_08_Pro.jpg
8)
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

I need to pull out some of my old C.S. stuff from the late 80's and early 90's and see what I goodies I have tucked away ::paranoid:: I used to go up to the Great Western Gun Show in L.A. county. ( Note: DEC. 10, 1999 12 AM PT: the Great Western Gun Show said Thursday that they are leaving Los Angeles and moving to Las Vegas. ::shrug:: must be in Vegas now ::shrug:: ) At that show Cold Steel had table after table of discounted items :D and some not discounted :x I used to walk out of there with an arm full of USA and Seki-City made C.S. products. I got a Trailmaster once and I remember I was in Heaven swinging that thing around... :D
Attachments
DSCF4727.JPG
DSCF4751.JPG
DSCF3694.JPG
DSCF2988.JPG
DSCF2990.JPG
DSCF2991.JPG
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

GSPTOPDOG wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:22 am I need to pull out some of my old C.S. stuff from the late 80's and early 90's and see what I goodies I have tucked away ::paranoid:: I used to go up to the Great Western Gun Show in L.A. county. ( Note: DEC. 10, 1999 12 AM PT: the Great Western Gun Show said Thursday that they are leaving Los Angeles and moving to Las Vegas. ::shrug:: must be in Vegas now ::shrug:: ) At that show Cold Steel had table after table of discounted items :D and some not discounted :x I used to walk out of there with an arm full of USA and Seki-City made C.S. products. I got a Trailmaster once and I remember I was in Heaven swinging that thing around... :D
Very nice Dog! ::tu:: Gotta love C/C knives! 8)
8)
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Madmarco wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:49 pm
GSPTOPDOG wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:22 am I need to pull out some of my old C.S. stuff from the late 80's and early 90's and see what I goodies I have tucked away ::paranoid:: I used to go up to the Great Western Gun Show in L.A. county. ( Note: DEC. 10, 1999 12 AM PT: the Great Western Gun Show said Thursday that they are leaving Los Angeles and moving to Las Vegas. ::shrug:: must be in Vegas now ::shrug:: ) At that show Cold Steel had table after table of discounted items :D and some not discounted :x I used to walk out of there with an arm full of USA and Seki-City made C.S. products. I got a Trailmaster once and I remember I was in Heaven swinging that thing around... :D
Very nice Dog! ::tu:: Gotta love C/C knives! 8)
Oh yea! ::nod::
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I'd already posted these in a different Cold Steel thread but since I forgot about this thread I'll post em' here too for you to see! 8)
WIN_20210920_14_51_54_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210920_14_52_07_Pro.jpg
The 13 1/2" oal "Luzon"!
WIN_20210920_14_50_59_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210920_14_51_28_Pro.jpg
The 13 1/8"oal "Counter Point XL"!
WIN_20210920_14_49_46_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210920_14_50_14_Pro.jpg
And the 13"oal "Ti-Lite"!
8)

Return to “Modern Tactical Knives”