My first Cold Steel knives

A place to discuss modern tactical knives like Benchmade, Spyderco, Kershaw, Cold Steel, CRKT, and more.
jmh58

Re: My first Cold Steel knives

Post by jmh58 »

QTCut5 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:48 pm I like the OD, John. Nice pick up. :mrgreen:

Am curious about the lock release on yours...hard or not so hard to release?
Thank You 🙏 Q. Hard but if ya lift up on the blade while unlocking it, it releases just fine. 👍
John ✌️
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
desmobob

Post by desmobob »

My Recon Tanto is due to be delivered tomorrow, and my Kobun and Canadian Belt Knife the day after that... ::tu::

I rarely used a fixed-blade knife theses days and have been picking the Cold Steel folders that I like, but I figured I'd better pick up a few of their affordable fixed-blades just in case the new owners change the line-up.
Bob

Gold is for the mistress -- silver for the maid --
Copper for the craftsman cunning at his trade.
"Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
"But Iron -- Cold Iron -- is master of them all."
~Rudyard Kipling
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

desmobob wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:39 pm My Recon Tanto is due to be delivered tomorrow, and my Kobun and Canadian Belt Knife the day after that... ::tu::

I rarely used a fixed-blade knife theses days and have been picking the Cold Steel folders that I like, but I figured I'd better pick up a few of their affordable fixed-blades just in case the new owners change the line-up.
Nice!!!👏
John ✌️

desmobob

Post by desmobob »

jmh58 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:37 pm Nice!!!👏
John ✌️
Thanks for the encouragement, John. Sometimes I get feeling a little guilty when I spend money on knives I know I'll probably never use. :oops:

::tu::
Bob

Gold is for the mistress -- silver for the maid --
Copper for the craftsman cunning at his trade.
"Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
"But Iron -- Cold Iron -- is master of them all."
~Rudyard Kipling
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

desmobob wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:04 am
jmh58 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:37 pm Nice!!!👏
John ✌️
Thanks for the encouragement, John. Sometimes I get feeling a little guilty when I spend money on knives I know I'll probably never use. :oops:

::tu::
Nothing wrong with that!!👍😎👍
John ✌️

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I don't usually peruse the MTK forum, but I did today and found this link. The 4 C/S knives I'm posting have been posted before in other threads, but when I saw this link for C/S knives I thought I'd share em' here with you too. The first is a C/S Grivory "Tai Pan" and was my 1st C/S knife. It's 13" oal with both edges relatively sharp for a non-metal knife. Prior to buying it I watched a C/S video review of the knife, and when I saw them clasp it in a bench vise and bend it almost 90 degrees without it breaking, I had to have one. The CDN$12. price helped me decide also, that and the fact that the metal model was sold out on every site I checked. The second knife is the metal version, and it's also 13" oal with both edges shaving-sharp. I wanted the model with the white satin blade, but it remained sold out, although, I've found some on Ebay and I'm wrestling with myself whether I should purchase one to complete the set. Knowing me I'll probably buy it! The third knife is a recent purchase and it's a MONSTER! It's a C/S 13 1/4" oal "Holdout" model that won the decision of whether to buy it or the 13" "Counter Point XL" or 13" "Luzon" models. I keep looking at the last 2, so I may get those eventually as well. The last knife is the 12" oal C/S "Paradox" look-a-like butterfly slip-joint, and since I want a butterfly for my collection this one has the look without the ability to "flip". Balisongs are prohibited in Canada, so this knife is a good substitute, along with it being a very cool folder. It MUST be opened with 2 hands due to half-stops and springs, and is impossible to "flip". With a lot of modification it could be converted, but I'm not that big a fan of Balisongs, so I'll be satisfied that it looks like one. I still want at least 1 genuine Balisong in my collection, so I'll have to wait for the right circumstances to purchase one! 8)
WIN_20210907_12_05_23_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210907_12_05_41_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210907_12_06_53_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210907_12_06_14_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210907_12_37_23_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210907_12_37_36_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210907_12_37_52_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210907_12_38_08_Pro.jpg
8)
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

I need to pull out some of my old C.S. stuff from the late 80's and early 90's and see what I goodies I have tucked away ::paranoid:: I used to go up to the Great Western Gun Show in L.A. county. ( Note: DEC. 10, 1999 12 AM PT: the Great Western Gun Show said Thursday that they are leaving Los Angeles and moving to Las Vegas. ::shrug:: must be in Vegas now ::shrug:: ) At that show Cold Steel had table after table of discounted items :D and some not discounted :x I used to walk out of there with an arm full of USA and Seki-City made C.S. products. I got a Trailmaster once and I remember I was in Heaven swinging that thing around... :D
Attachments
DSCF4727.JPG
DSCF4751.JPG
DSCF3694.JPG
DSCF2988.JPG
DSCF2990.JPG
DSCF2991.JPG
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

GSPTOPDOG wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:22 am I need to pull out some of my old C.S. stuff from the late 80's and early 90's and see what I goodies I have tucked away ::paranoid:: I used to go up to the Great Western Gun Show in L.A. county. ( Note: DEC. 10, 1999 12 AM PT: the Great Western Gun Show said Thursday that they are leaving Los Angeles and moving to Las Vegas. ::shrug:: must be in Vegas now ::shrug:: ) At that show Cold Steel had table after table of discounted items :D and some not discounted :x I used to walk out of there with an arm full of USA and Seki-City made C.S. products. I got a Trailmaster once and I remember I was in Heaven swinging that thing around... :D
Very nice Dog! ::tu:: Gotta love C/C knives! 8)
8)
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Madmarco wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:49 pm
GSPTOPDOG wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:22 am I need to pull out some of my old C.S. stuff from the late 80's and early 90's and see what I goodies I have tucked away ::paranoid:: I used to go up to the Great Western Gun Show in L.A. county. ( Note: DEC. 10, 1999 12 AM PT: the Great Western Gun Show said Thursday that they are leaving Los Angeles and moving to Las Vegas. ::shrug:: must be in Vegas now ::shrug:: ) At that show Cold Steel had table after table of discounted items :D and some not discounted :x I used to walk out of there with an arm full of USA and Seki-City made C.S. products. I got a Trailmaster once and I remember I was in Heaven swinging that thing around... :D
Very nice Dog! ::tu:: Gotta love C/C knives! 8)
Oh yea! ::nod::
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I'd already posted these in a different Cold Steel thread but since I forgot about this thread I'll post em' here too for you to see! 8)
WIN_20210920_14_51_54_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210920_14_52_07_Pro.jpg
The 13 1/2" oal "Luzon"!
WIN_20210920_14_50_59_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210920_14_51_28_Pro.jpg
The 13 1/8"oal "Counter Point XL"!
WIN_20210920_14_49_46_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210920_14_50_14_Pro.jpg
And the 13"oal "Ti-Lite"!
8)
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Mark. Them some fine pocket fillers !! WoW!! 👍💎👍
John ✌️

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

jmh58 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:14 pm Mark. Them some fine pocket fillers !! WoW!! 👍💎👍
John ✌️
Thanks buddy! ::handshake:: Yah, they are a handful, or two! 8)
8)
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

It looks like I am not the only one around here that likes Cold Steel...
Attachments
DSCF7309.JPG
DSCF7318.JPG
DSCF7319.JPG
DSCF7322.JPG

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Impressive knives and admirer. ::nod:: ::nod::
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

GSPTOPDOG wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:18 am It looks like I am not the only one around here that likes Cold Steel...
Very KOOL!!! ::tu:: 8) ::tu::
John :D

jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Khomini wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:15 pm Excellent blades. Anyone will like the knife as soon as they see it. Worthy of praise as excellent quality and rock-solid knife. ::tu:: ::tu::
👍🤩👍
John 🎅

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Khomini wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:15 pm Excellent blades. Anyone will like the knife as soon as they see it. Worthy of praise as excellent quality and rock-solid knife. ::tu:: ::tu::
Well stated K.! ::tu:: 8)
8)
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

C.S. One of my favorite designs!
Attachments
DSCF0760.JPG
DSCF0761.JPG
DSCF0762.JPG

GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

One of the 1st of my C.S. knives was an SRK. I love that one and the Recon Tanto ... 😍🥰😍
Attachments
DSCF4051.JPG
DSCF4054.JPG
DSCF4055.JPG
DSCF4056.JPG
DSCF4058.JPG
DSCF4050.JPG

kennyBilly

Post by kennyBilly »

((My only complaint is that the lock spring is quite stiff and it takes a serious effort to press the lock deep enough to release it. I'm tempted to thin the spring a bit but I don't know if I want to risk it considering the company's status at the moment. It's not a big deal. When using two hands to close the knife, it's not an issue at all. It's only when I'm trying to close it one-handed that overcoming the spring is a little difficult for me.))

I have the same strong spring issue with all my Cold Steel folders and most of their sheaths for fixed blade. I bought these at Amazing.com.
I have these Cold Steel folders, 1-Immortal (2) Code 4, (2) Rajah 3, 1-Spartan, 1-Lawman, 1-AK-47, 1-Voyager XL, 1-Gurk, 1-Lite, (2) SRI lite and several liner locks (some has center lock issues).

I have heard of 5 different fixes for the strong spring #11 lbs as measured. All bought in 2019. Not sure if there was a bad batch. I doubt China was cloning these then? I did see Allibaba clone of AD-15?

The 6 possible fixes on YouTube are as follows. 1-Open knife at 90* and keep open for 1-2 weeks. Tried it no go. 2-Depress the lock at 90* with a c-clamp. Tried it no go. 3-Bend spring with two pliers? YouTuber showe it work but didn't show him doing it? 4-Bend in a vice while hammering with a heavy ball ping hammer. He showed it works. No idea how he measured it at correct angle? 5-Machinist ground .0001 of the thickness of the spring? I think it will work but will fail in the future. 6-Grind smooth rough machining on the lock bar and lubricate. Not sure this will fix the spring strenght. Guns have strong spring issues and trigger jobs are a reoccurring problem. Some buy trigger spring kits. GSM-Cold Steel won't even sell you action parts and they have no repair shop. Original Cold Steel in Ventura wouldn't reply in 2019. That was a no go. GSM was asked about returning, replace and no reply so fare as last week. So I think I will get nothing from GSM. I posted this question on Jimmy Slash YouTube channel and he deleted it. So I can see GSM has no plan to warranty anything they sell. So much for lifetime warranty.

If I have the specifics of your bending fix? I would appreciate it. Thanks again man🙏
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Good information, KennyB, and ::welcome:: to AAPK! ::handshake::
8)
8)

Return to “Modern Tactical Knives”