I Saved $660!

A place to discuss modern tactical knives like Benchmade, Spyderco, Kershaw, Cold Steel, CRKT, and more.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I Saved $660!

Post by 1967redrider »

I took on an interesting project this past weekend. Surfing through online knife stores, I spied this new Microtech release of a Mandalorian (Boba Fett of Star Wars fame) fantasy Out The Front switchblade, for the unbelievably humble low price of only $727! Thinking to myself I thought, this looks a lot like a dressed up version of a Titan OTF switch, one of which has been sitting in my shelf for the past several years and cost a whopping $30. Then my mind went into action.

First stop was a trip to Hobby Lobby with a picture of the concept knife on my cellphone. I couldn't find the exact paint match I was looking for but figured these would work. Also picked up some Frog masking tape and various paint brushes, Hobby Lobby has it all pretty much. Arriving back at home, I realized my "Tahiti Blue" needed to be more green. Luckily I had some yellow car touch-up paint and kept adding a little yellow several times until I got to my desired color. I thought the accents in the picture looked orange, but now I'm thinking they're more red and might redo those parts.

Next I disassembled the knife but not completely. I left 2 of the 6 handle screws in to keep the action intact, not brave enough to actually go with a complete disassembly . . . yet. Taped up some parts holders and got to painting. First I put down a base of Platinum to cover the black thinking it would work better with my blueish frame paint. I also painted the screws Platinum and let everything dry overnight before adding the orange.

Over Saturday and Sunday, I put down at least 3 thin coats of paint, making sure there was ample drying time between coats. I also swapped out the 2 unpainted handle screws with painted ones late Sunday evening. Monday morning before heading to work I put everything back together, having let everything dry overnight. And here's the finished project, a good $660 cheaper than the concept, including original knife and supplies costs. I'm pleased with it and happy to have the savings set aside for other knives. 😉👍🔪
Attachments
IMG_20201031_175037139.jpg
IMG_20201031_175044511.jpg
Screenshot_20201030-093449.png
IMG_20201031_210233358.jpg
Screenshot_20201101-115717.png
IMG_20201101_141345870.jpg
IMG_20201102_070251057.jpg
IMG_20201102_070209019.jpg
IMG_20201102_070234284.jpg
1604416424193300655759407685285.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: I Saved $660!

Post by 1967redrider »

Comparison picture.
Attachments
Screenshot_20201102-123833.png

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Great creative work redrider. Congratulations!
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Maybe sell it for $500 ad save someone $227! Probably ought to throw in free shipping, for that. :D
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Thanks guys, and good idea, Doc. ::handshake::

Trying to upload a video to YouTube, it's not cooperating at the moment.

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Modified Titan OTF vid-

samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

Working now.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

samb1955 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:24 pm Working now.
::tu:: I think I was using a Disney copyrighted word that was preventing my first upload. ::shrug::

TPK

Post by TPK »

Great work John! ::tu:: Looks just like you wanted it to! Congrats Buddy! ::handshake:: :D
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

TPK wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:37 pm Great work John! ::tu:: Looks just like you wanted it to! Congrats Buddy! ::handshake:: :D

Thanks, Tom! That's what we hill people call a West Virginia overhaul, no disrespect to West Virginians of course. #LetsGoMountaineers!

TPK

Post by TPK »

1967redrider wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:40 pm
TPK wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:37 pm Great work John! ::tu:: Looks just like you wanted it to! Congrats Buddy! ::handshake:: :D
Thanks, Tom! That's what we hill people call a West Virginia overhaul, no disrespect to West Virginians of course. #LetsGoMountaineers!
LOL! :lol: I have heard that from my dad before! :lol: ::super_happy::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Nice work John! Maybe we could go into business. I have one of those in red and black that needs to be converted! ::ds::
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

herbva wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:35 pm Nice work John! Maybe we could go into business. I have one of those in red and black that needs to be converted! ::ds::

Sounds good, Herb! ::tu::

OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

From past uses, I can say that Delta Ceramcoat craft paint is not very durable and scratches easily. However, it is real easy to touch up.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:49 am From past uses, I can say that Delta Ceramcoat craft paint is not very durable and scratches easily. However, it is real easy to touch up.

Thank you, Sir! What paint would you recommend for durability? This is my concept knife, might make another using a tanto bladed Taiwan Lightning, which is shaped more like the Microtech, but also priced around $30 like the Titan.

OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

1967redrider wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:04 am
OLDE CUTLER wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:49 am From past uses, I can say that Delta Ceramcoat craft paint is not very durable and scratches easily. However, it is real easy to touch up.

Thank you, Sir! What paint would you recommend for durability? This is my concept knife, might make another using a tanto bladed Taiwan Lightning, which is shaped more like the Microtech, but also priced around $30 like the Titan.
I noticed the picture above that shows the paints you mixed together. One is acrylic craft paint and the Toyota paint must be some kind of enamel with a solvent as it says it is flammable. Did these mix together OK? Maybe you have hit on a hybrid that will stick to what must be metal handles? The problem I had was the acrylic could be scraped off with the fingernail on the metal piece that I tried it on. Normally enamel would be better I think for metal. I use the same Delta Ceramcoat you show to paint my wooden mini decoys, and some of them have scrapes and scratches from handling. Make sure everything is degreased thoroughly to remove fingerprints. Also there are some very good spray paints for metal, like Krylon Fusion, which I used this past summer to repaint the outer face of the metal front door to the house.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:09 am
1967redrider wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:04 am

I noticed the picture above that shows the paints you mixed together. One is acrylic craft paint and the Toyota paint must be some kind of enamel with a solvent as it says it is flammable. Did these mix together OK? Maybe you have hit on a hybrid that will stick to what must be metal handles? The problem I had was the acrylic could be scraped off with the fingernail on the metal piece that I tried it on. Normally enamel would be better I think for metal. I use the same Delta Ceramcoat you show to paint my wooden mini decoys, and some of them have scrapes and scratches from handling. Make sure everything is degreased thoroughly to remove fingerprints. Also there are some very good spray paints for metal, like Krylon Fusion, which I used this past summer to repaint the outer face of the metal front door to the house.

Thanks for the info! ::tu::

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I picked up another Titan for around $30 with a black tanto blade just to experiment with. I got up the . . . courage . . . to take it apart. First I made sure the spring tension was released by firing it into the side of a wooden box from about 2" away. Removed the clip screw, then the 6 handle screws and, surprisingly enough, nothing came shooting out at me. (internal pictures attached)

Simple internal design and the blade just rides in a track. It would be interesting to attach a piece of Plexiglas for the handle to see the internal workings of the parts in motion. Looks like blades could be easily swapped out too. Put it all back together, reloaded the blade (just give it a good shake forward), it fires perfectly. Not bad for $30!
Attachments
IMG_20201107_154433851.jpg
IMG_20201107_154704938.jpg
IMG_20201107_154809167.jpg
IMG_20201107_154825149.jpg
IMG_20201107_155007559.jpg
IMG_20201107_155024959.jpg

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I changed the screw and trigger color to red, I think it looks better and closer to the Microtech colors.

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

1967redrider wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:12 pm I picked up another Titan for around $30 with a black tanto blade just to experiment with. I got up the . . . courage . . . to take it apart. First I made sure the spring tension was released by firing it into the side of a wooden box from about 2" away. Removed the clip screw, then the 6 handle screws and, surprisingly enough, nothing came shooting out at me. (internal pictures attached)

Simple internal design and the blade just rides in a track. It would be interesting to attach a piece of Plexiglas for the handle to see the internal workings of the parts in motion. Looks like blades could be easily swapped out too. Put it all back together, reloaded the blade (just give it a good shake forward), it fires perfectly. Not bad for $30!
Beautiful conversion John! ::tu:: I prefer your build by a mile over the M/T, specially the dagger blade. I had to assemble a "Tomb
-Raider" OTF I received from China, and I was quite surprised how really simple the internals are, not much more than a track and a couple springs, SIMPLE! Congrats, yours looks great! 8)
8)
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Madmarco wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:28 pm
1967redrider wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:12 pm I picked up another Titan for around $30 with a black tanto blade just to experiment with. I got up the . . . courage . . . to take it apart. First I made sure the spring tension was released by firing it into the side of a wooden box from about 2" away. Removed the clip screw, then the 6 handle screws and, surprisingly enough, nothing came shooting out at me. (internal pictures attached)

Beautiful conversion John! ::tu:: I prefer your build by a mile over the M/T, specially the dagger blade. I had to assemble a "Tomb
-Raider" OTF I received from China, and I was quite surprised how really simple the internals are, not much more than a track and a couple springs, SIMPLE! Congrats, yours looks great! 8)

Thanks, Marco. I recently picked up a Lightning with a stainless Tanto blade and another Titan with a black Tanto blade, along with the spray paint Olde Cutler suggested. Going to play around with their color schemes. Picked up some clear coat too, might try doing the "distressed" look on one of them. Supposedly a bag of gravel works perfectly. I forget who makes the silver knife.
Attachments
16053980834217064012507131050952.jpg

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

1967redrider wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:49 pm
Madmarco wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:28 pm

Thanks, Marco. I recently picked up a Lightning with a stainless Tanto blade and another Titan with a black Tanto blade, along with the spray paint Olde Cutler suggested. Going to play around with their color schemes. Picked up some clear coat too, might try doing the "distressed" look on one of them. Supposedly a bag of gravel works perfectly. I forget who makes the silver knife.
All really nice OTF's John, ::tu:: can't wait to see how you mod them! ::nod:: Can't help you with the silver knife, don't know who makes them either, ::shrug:: but it sure has a sleek profile! 8)
8)
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Painted up another OTF knife this weekend. This one is a Lightning (on the right) as opposed to a Titan (on the left). On comparison, I like the shape of the Lightning better, but it misfires occasionally. Could be because it's fresh out of the box and hasn't worked itself in yet. The Titan never misfires. Going to change the orange screws and thumb trigger to red also, I like the red better. Couldn't find red spray paint for some reason? ::shrug::
Attachments
IMG_20201127_215029741.jpg

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

1967redrider wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:13 pm Painted up another OTF knife this weekend. This one is a Lightning (on the right) as opposed to a Titan (on the left). On comparison, I like the shape of the Lightning better, but it misfires occasionally. Could be because it's fresh out of the box and hasn't worked itself in yet. The Titan never misfires. Going to change the orange screws and thumb trigger to red also, I like the red better. Couldn't find red spray paint for some reason? ::shrug::
Very good look'in John! ::tu:: 8)
8)
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Thanks, Mark. ::handshake::

Return to “Modern Tactical Knives”