Benchmade Trlage Tactical

A place to discuss modern tactical knives like Benchmade, Spyderco, Kershaw, Cold Steel, CRKT, and more.
eveled

Benchmade Trlage Tactical

Post by eveled »

Anybody have an interest in this knife? Benchmade recently put drop point blade on a rescue knife, now it's tactical.

The Triage is a great knife, belt cutter, glass breaker, either a sheepsfoot blade or opposing bevel. The new knife has a drop point blade. Other differences, a less agressively stipling, a different steel. It's also $50 more than the other versions. Looks like a winner to me.

Any thoughts?

http://www.benchmade.com/917-tactical-triage.html
kootenay joe

Re: Benchmade Trlage Tactical

Post by kootenay joe »

I am not a Benchmade collector and to me at $215 this is an expensive knife. Numerous Chinese brands have had similarly set up knives for about the last 10 years. With S30V steel the Benchmade should edge hold longer. However my experience with SRM, Rough Rider and other Chinese brands is that the steel on these inexpensive knives holds an edge very well.
You asked about interest in the BM. If i wanted this design i would buy one of the China ones for under $30. If i found it lacking in some way, then i would consider the BM if this design was still what i wanted.
kj
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Benchmade 917 Tactical Triage-married.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Which button deploys the blade ? thumb stud ?
kj
eveled

Post by eveled »

There are two ways to open it. The blade has a standard thumb stud. The button on the Body of the knife is a lock button. Called an axis lock. If you slide the lock button is relieves the tension on the blade and it swings open. Same thing to close it. The button passes through the knife and is totally ambidextrous. Not a switch blade, but very easy one hand open and close.

The hook sits flush when not in use, (almost hidden) and it has a thumb stud, it does not lock open, but is very ergonomic, the pressure of cutting is all holding it open, plus your thumb rests on the base of the hook and it can't really close. The hook is less ambidextrous.

It's a very nice knife.
colin.p

Post by colin.p »

I have to admit that that design doesn't really do it for me. I used to work with a fella that had a Grizzly Creek (sort of similar) and it was a nice knife but it didn't turn my crank. However, I certainly can see why someone would want one. I say that you should get one, take gobs of pictures and write up an in depth review. I will certainly read it.

Return to “Modern Tactical Knives”