Walk on the Wild Side...

A place to discuss modern tactical knives like Benchmade, Spyderco, Kershaw, Cold Steel, CRKT, and more.
Darksev

Walk on the Wild Side...

Post by Darksev »

Here's something a little bright and crazy for you folks:
IMG_20160602_192433.jpg
I just finished up the Anodizing this past week, and got a chance to take some photos today.

Boker/Burnley Ti Kwaiken, "Rainbow Reptile" anodized by yours truly. I added some serrations to the flipper to give it some purchase on the thumb when flipping.

Also anodized a matching TRA Designs "Chugger the Chameleon" pocket tool to go with it.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Walk on the Wild Side...

Post by garddogg56 »

KEWL ::tu::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Well now there's something you don't see every day. As Col. Klink would have said, "Velly intelesting."
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have no idea of how to anodize, and i don't know what it means. Is there a cathodize ?
Regardless, i think you have talent and a sense of artistry.
kj
Darksev

Post by Darksev »

kootenay joe wrote:I have no idea of how to anodize, and i don't know what it means. Is there a cathodize ?
Regardless, i think you have talent and a sense of artistry.
kj
Gonna drop some science here, so it might get a bit techinical:

Titanium is an interesting metal, and one of it's fun properties is how it oxidizes. Instead of something like how steel rusts, titanium forms a thin layer of clear titanium oxide on the surface of the metal. This clear layer absorbs and refracts light at different wavelengths based on it's thickness. Naturally occurring titanium oxidization doesn't produce a very thick layer, so the metal still appears grey, but if you artificially oxidize the material you can build up a thicker layer, and due to the increased thickness, change the wavelength of light refracted, making the titanium appear to the human eye as a variety of colors.

How this is done is one of two ways - heat, or electricity. Simply hitting a piece of titanium with a torch will cause it to oxidize, and give you colors ranging from golds to deep purples and blues - Here is an example of one of my titanium "Bottlesnapper" multitools that I've hit with a torch to give it some color:
IMG_20150722_181428.jpg
Now, coloring titanium with a torch does not give you much control over coloration, it's imprecise nature also dulls the colors and limits the spectrum you can reach.

Electricity however, can give you plenty of options. The general setup is like this: You have a container of electrolyte solution (in my case, I use water with some Tri Sodium Phosphate mixed in) You have a DC power supply. the negative lead on the power supply connects to a cathode with a greater surface area than your work piece (in my case, I use an "accordion" folded sheet of titanium - Lotta surface area in a small space) that is submerged into your electrolyte solution. The positive lead on your supply connects to the work piece. submerge the work piece into the solution (don't touch the cathode, because if you do you're not anodizing anymore, you're welding ::dang:: ::sotb:: ) The voltage you run through the loop determines what visible "color" you get on your titanium.
ti_color_large.jpg
The consistent, repeatable voltage gives you very fine control over color, and a much wider spectrum to work with. By changing the voltage as you move the work piece in and out of the electrolyte solution, or using masking materials like nail polish, vinyl, etc you can get color fades, or some really fun effects by preventing the liquid electrolyte from touching parts of the workpiece. Examples would be my lizard pattern above, or some of these guys:
RainbowWarpaint800.jpg
BronzeD800.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Adam, thanks, very good of you to take the time to compose such an educational post.
Many production knives have 'anodized' titanium handles and now i have some idea of what is involved.
kj
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Your explanation was very lucid and interesting. Even I could understand your process. I wonder if you have ever been a teacher. If not, it is a path you might consider. ::tu:: And the knife is VERY cool.
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Adam that is drop dead sexy!
And a BOKER, to boot!

I like that bottlesnapping turtle too.
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

Just now read this explanation... Adam, that is awesome information! Many Thanks!
Dave - the new guy. :lol:
NRA Life/Endowment
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

Thank's still getting to know rust removal with electrolysis.

Return to “Modern Tactical Knives”