Post Your Tactical Folders

A place to discuss modern tactical knives like Benchmade, Spyderco, Kershaw, Cold Steel, CRKT, and more.
jmh58

Re: Post Your Tactical Folders

Post by jmh58 »

Quick Steel wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:31 pm An early COLD STEEL lockback Tanto.

P1030883 (2).JPG

And a COLD STEEL Scimitar

P1030882 (2).JPG
Garry.. How do you like that Tanto blade?? I have a few but wont use them because I don't think I can sharpen them correctly.. ::facepalm::
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

John, A tanto blade has some advantages as a tactical, i.e. defensive knife. Namely, it penetrates clothing such as jackets even better than a stiletto and creates a large wound channel.

Nevertheless, my favorite style is a curved edge like the scimitar. This fits my training style for knife fighting which is almost purely defensive.

For stabbing, a straight edge is best. But it is when an effort to stab someone is made that one will himself likely get cut.

With a curved edge, my focus is on defense, slashing at hands, wrists, arms. I have never accepted the common axiom that "If you are in a knife fight, expect to get cut." Fighting aggressively, in other words attacking, yes the likely hood of being stabbed or cut is high because you must come within arms reach of your opponent. But with a defensive approach plus proper footwork one can avoid getting hurt.

I believed this for many years but it was a lonely position because virtually every instructor said "Expect to be cut." Then I found Lynn Thompson's (Cold Steel) nstruction. At last someone agreed with my thinking.

As for sharpening, I just proceed slowly on the forward (tip) part of the blade using ceramic rods.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Quick Steel wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:33 pm John, A tanto blade has some advantages as a tactical, i.e. defensive knife. Namely, it penetrates clothing such as jackets even better than a stiletto and creates a large wound channel.

Nevertheless, my favorite style is a curved edge like the scimitar. This fits my training style for knife fighting which is almost purely defensive.

For stabbing, a straight edge is best. But it is when an effort to stab someone is made that one will himself likely get cut.

With a curved edge, my focus is on defense, slashing at hands, wrists, arms. I have never accepted the common axiom that "If you are in a knife fight, expect to get cut." Fighting aggressively, in other words attacking, yes the likely hood of being stabbed or cut is high because you must come within arms reach of your opponent. But with a defensive approach plus proper footwork one can avoid getting hurt.

I believed this for many years but it was a lonely position because virtually every instructor said "Expect to be cut." Then I found Lynn Thompson's (Cold Steel) nstruction. At last someone agreed with my thinking.

As for sharpening, I just proceed slowly on the forward (tip) part of the blade using ceramic rods.
Just saw this.. ::facepalm:: I know I am slow.. ::nod:: :lol: Thanks for this info.. Gives me something to think about. Thanks.. ::handshake::
John

Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

On the left a Cold Steel Guardian. On the right a Cold Steel Leatherneck which I consider the best of breed for this style of knife; wonderful handle, very fast in the hand. Wish I had this one in my Army days.

P1030755 (2).JPG
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Sweet knives, QS! ::tu:: They definitely have a traditional military fighting knife design.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Glad you like them redrider.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Quick Steel wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:10 pm On the left a Cold Steel Guardian. On the right a Cold Steel Leatherneck which I consider the best of breed for this style of knife; wonderful handle, very fast in the hand. Wish I had this one in my Army days.

P1030755 (2).JPG
Nice Garry.. I too like the rt one from here!!! ::tu:: Looks like it would be nice in hand!!! ::nod::

Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Thank you John. I can't remember why I posted these in a thread on folders. I guess I got carried away.

A little bit of magic happenedd when that knife was made. Somehow everything came together: weight, balance, shape, texture, etc, which somehow produced an amazingly fast and light knife yet still providing a feeling of great solidity. I would be unlikely to ever part with this knife.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

An Italian made Antonini SOS ARA XL "Professional Rescue Knife" In my opinion, this is my one-sentence review "If you want a knife with a quality worse than your $25 CRKT and with mediocre steel, but want to pay more than your Benchmade this is the knife for you". The blade is decently sharp, but the serration pattern is the worst I have used. It grabs, but not cuts the material. I paid $15 when the US distributor in NM decided to retire and close the business. MSRP is $250. Completely and utterly insane.

Here's the list of problems other than the serrations. The G-10 is very crudely finished. There are no full liners--the linerlock is screwed into the G-10. The clip does not grip pockets, and the knife just sits there, not held in place. The bit driver is machined poorly, and any bit you stick in there wobbles. Strap/web cutter isn't that sharp. It's not unusable, but duller than I expect. So, in general charging $250 for this knife is absolutely insane.

That being said, it's a good hard-use knife when I'm afraid something might happen to my Benchmade, Kershaw, or Spyderco knives. But, that being said, a Sanremu, Chinese Kershaw, or CRKT is usually doing that. And, the huge lanyard ring is excellent. It's made to slot into a climbing carabiner, and often, I carry the knife clipped by a carabiner to my belt loop because of the poor clip.
Attachments
KIMG2121.JPG
KIMG2119.JPG
KIMG2113.JPG
KIMG2111(1).JPG
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Glad to know, I will avoid them. ::nod::

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

1967redrider wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:27 pm Glad to know, I will avoid them. ::nod::
Now, their cheaper slipjoints are passable knives for less than $10, if you get a good one. But, it's embarassing their most expensive line, priced at more than basically any tactical knife on the market (aside from say, Chris Reeve, and some higher end Spyderco and Benchmade models) is so poorly done, and with such cheap steel (440A).
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I picked this Hinderer XM-18 3.5 back in May from a member's store. I was looking for one and was pleasantly surprised to find one right here, modern folders aren't as popular on this website as traditional folders are. Since getting this knife, and one of the reasons I became attracted to it in the first place, I have been out on the prowl looking for accessories to customize it somewhat, enhancements within my mechanical means that is.

I don't have any tools one would use as a knife mechanic, but I do have regular run of the mill tools and access to even more stuff at the farm. Most of the farm tools are geared to working on tractors and implements and aren't really designed for smaller jobs. But I did outfit myself with a bit driver and a couple dozen bits of various sizes and design.

The first thing I did was swap out the scale. Then I set out looking for ways to spruce up the frame lock side. Covid really took a toll early on in shipping and accessories being made, for months. But I finally found some extras to add some more bling and color. A set of copper standoffs, brass clip hole filler tab, a bronze titanium pivot screw and a geared pocket clip that incorporates the various metals and blue color of the scale, all Hinderer items. The gears actually turn, which I think is a cool fidget item.

I'm pretty pleased with the bling factor and also picked up an Armorer's Tool and a Hinderer tactical pen. I think this would be a good BBQ/conversation knife. Am I done tweaking it? Who knows, maybe I might come up with a Seasonal Theme. ::shrug::
Attachments
1579191672_86_4-600x500.jpg
IMG_20201030_202526615.jpg
IMG_20201030_202634058.jpg
IMG_20201030_202906591.jpg
IMG_20201030_202925815.jpg

Doc B

Post by Doc B »

I think that would qualify as a BBQ knife! I like the bling ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Doc B wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:33 am I think that would qualify as a BBQ knife! I like the bling ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::

Thanks, Doc! ::handshake::

edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

1967redrider wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:22 am I picked this Hinderer XM-18 3.5 back in May from a member's store. I was looking for one and was pleasantly surprised to find one right here, modern folders aren't as popular on this website as traditional folders are. Since getting this knife, and one of the reasons I became attracted to it in the first place, I have been out on the prowl looking for accessories to customize it somewhat, enhancements within my mechanical means that is.

I don't have any tools one would use as a knife mechanic, but I do have regular run of the mill tools and access to even more stuff at the farm. Most of the farm tools are geared to working on tractors and implements and aren't really designed for smaller jobs. But I did outfit myself with a bit driver and a couple dozen bits of various sizes and design.

The first thing I did was swap out the scale. Then I set out looking for ways to spruce up the frame lock side. Covid really took a toll early on in shipping and accessories being made, for months. But I finally found some extras to add some more bling and color. A set of copper standoffs, brass clip hole filler tab, a bronze titanium pivot screw and a geared pocket clip that incorporates the various metals and blue color of the scale, all Hinderer items. The gears actually turn, which I think is a cool fidget item.

I'm pretty pleased with the bling factor and also picked up an Armorer's Tool and a Hinderer tactical pen. I think this would be a good BBQ/conversation knife. Am I done tweaking it? Who knows, maybe I might come up with a Seasonal Theme. ::shrug::

Cool improvements.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Thanks, David. ::handshake::

Jtx
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Jtx »

redrider, I really like the customization that you have done to your knife. Those Hinderers are nice knives.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

You did a fine job on your Hinderer, redrider.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

P1010425.JPG
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Quick Steel wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:37 pm P1010425.JPG
WOW!!! That is some serious steel Garry.. ::woot:: Do tell??? ::hmm::

jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

P82A0392.JPG
Blue weave Spyderco Domino.. Double click pic to see the blue in handle... ::nod::

Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

A beutiful handle John. A very stylish tactical.

My knife is the Raja I by Cold Steel. It sports a 6" Kukri style blade backed up by an 8" handle. For serious chopping, say of tree limbs, there is little that can withstand the powerfully sharp blade. CS eventually brought out a smaller version called the Raja II.

I pretty much rely on CS to meet my tactical needs. [Of which I have none. :) ]
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Quick Steel wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:45 pm A beutiful handle John. A very stylish tactical.

My knife is the Raja I by Cold Steel. It sports a 6" Kukri style blade backed up by an 8" handle. For serious chopping, say of tree limbs, there is little that can withstand the powerfully sharp blade. CS eventually brought out a smaller version called the Raja II.

I pretty much rely on CS to meet my tactical needs. [Of which I have none. :) ]
Thank You Garry.. ::handshake:: And Thanks for the knife info.. We ALL need a little Tactical in our carrys... ::tu:: :lol: ::tu::

Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Love that, John! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Thanks, gentlemen, and those are some sweet knives. ::tu:: ::tu::

Return to “Modern Tactical Knives”