Assisted Opening

A place to discuss modern tactical knives like Benchmade, Spyderco, Kershaw, Cold Steel, CRKT, and more.
JOE62

Assisted Opening

Post by JOE62 »

Here are three assisted opening knives I currently own.
Top is a SOG Flash II, Middle is a Meyerco A-OK, Bottom is a Kershaw Ken Onion.
Anybody got any others?
Attachments
assisted.jpg
assisted.jpg (44.53 KiB) Viewed 8475 times
Hukk

Tactical

Post by Hukk »

The top one is a Camillus Heat Black Tanto Point ComboEdge Blade, a liner lock that I like a lot, I believe Bryan has 1 for sale at a good price. The bottom one is a Automat Kalashnikov 74. OH, the openining is assisted by that little spring below it. :lol: :lol: These are the first tacticals I got and I won both as a prize in the knife club meeting I got to each month. :mrgreen: However, if I win again, I will have to buy the door prizes. ::paranoid:: I was surprised to find that I liked them as much as I do, I need to remove the belt clips on the backside, I don't find them useful, more annoying than anything else. I also need to add that spring. :D
Attachments
Tactical.jpg
Tactical.jpg (29.49 KiB) Viewed 8473 times
TKC

Post by TKC »

I used to be into AO knives, but for ME, the novelty has worn off. And I CAN open my thumb studded or Spyder hole opening knives just as fast. Ihave either sold or traded off all my AO knives. But, you guys have some cool ones.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
JOE62

Post by JOE62 »

I have a couple plates and about a dozen screws holding my left elbow together which causes some dexterity issues. So assisted opening is practically a necessity for me as far as speed for deployment goes.
TKC

Post by TKC »

That is great then that the AO knives are available to you!! And that you ARE able to use them. PS: Have you checked out any of Darrel Ralph's knives? He makes some great assisted openers! Here is his site: http://www.darrelralph.com/1mainframe.htm
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
inkster

Post by inkster »

I had a bunch of them. I don't even think I have one left right now.

I did check out the new CRKT Tighe design in a local store recently. It seems to be made really well, and the action is right up there as welll.

For the price and all, I think it is a worth while deal. I just don't know how the steel is really gonna be. I hear it compares to the steel used on swiss army knives.
TKC

Post by TKC »

JOE62: Have you picked up new AO's lately?
JOE62

Post by JOE62 »

TKC
No I haven't. It's funny though because I was just looking at a SMKW catalog today and thinking maybe the next knife I get would be a Gerber Presto 3.5. Lately I've just been getting into slipjoints.
TKC

Post by TKC »

I was just wondering. Thanks for replying.[/b]
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Joe,
I have dexterity issues also, with both hands. I have several assisted opening or ones with a lever or hole for easy opening.
In Kershaw I have; a Leek, a Scallion & 2 Blackouts, one part serrated & one fine edge.
In CRKC I often carry the Desert Cruiser or the M-16-13Z. Neither are AO, but they are easy to open with the rear thumb opener.
I have the Camillus Heat in a part serrated w/o the tanto and a Kalashnikov 74, which I haven't really carried. Though switchblades are legal to carry in Oregon, they do attract too much attention for my taste if you have to use it in public.
I also have a Buck 186 with an oval thumb hole that is very easy to open.
I have an early Benchmade/Brend that was made in the late 1980s/very early 1990s. It opens with a thumb stud or a flip of the wrist. I have carried it for many years and it is the easiest opening knife I have that is not AO.

Though I have these knives, I only carry them if I think I will need them. I usually don't carry them around the house, there I have a nice Barlow, Jack or Stockman in my pockets..........sometimes all three. :mrgreen:
If I add a large AO to that mix, I have to put my suspenders on or else..... :shock:

Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
JOE62

Post by JOE62 »

Here's a x-ray of my left elbow. (I'm left handed)
That is why I got into AO's.
I carried a Benchmade untill I got a couple of AO's and I agree that it is the easiest opening non-AO knife I have.
I still carry a slip joint or two for just about all of my everyday cutting needs, but I always carry an AO for protection reasons. (I also have a concealed carry firearms license in case of real trouble.)
Attachments
elbow 2nd. time blow up.jpg
ilikeknives

Here's a couple more

Post by ilikeknives »

EDIT: first of all,,,,,,,,HOLY COW JOE !! Is there an elbow in there??
How many Autos are made for lefties???
Xray gave me the chills. Ohhhhhhhhhh,oooooooooooohhhh

1) Pro-Tech , Tactical Response 1 , Bead Blasted CM-154 "Jazz" handles, cool hey? I like that it looks like a toy, but believe me you, it's lightning fast, locks up tight, and is hand fitted to the Nth.

2) Benchmade Apparition. WOW !

3) Baby Benchmade-Benchmite Auto,,, LOVE IT !!!

Nice stuff guys, (and Gals)
Thanks for this post.-Glenn ::blah:: ::tu::
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
LOW PRICE LEADER, ALL BRANDS, NIB KNIVES !
LOWEST COST & F-A-S-T SHIP TOO!
http://www.AtoZknives.com
Come see what you like.

Please visit my AAPK Store (i-like-knives) for Renaissance Wax,Simichrome, Flitz Cloths,pro-clean & care products, kits too!
JOE62

Post by JOE62 »

Nice knives Glenn.
I don't know if there are any autos specifically made for lefties, but the SOG flash II has a reversible pocket clip that helps to make it work for lefties. Most of the time I just use my right hand, which has helped me become alot more ambidextrous though.
El Lobo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by El Lobo »

OK...I'll "POP" in to this cool thread... :mrgreen:

My wife and daughter both carry a chive, and really like the size and it's usefulness.

The next one is a Meyerco by Blackie Collins that I've posted elsewhere, but it seems to fit this thread as well.

Bill

EDITED:
Well, I see I've reversed the pictures. I was going to change them, but I believe I'll just suffer. I should never try to be quick any more. Sigh. :oops:
Attachments
Meyerco Speedster SR.jpg
Meyerco Speedster SR.jpg (17.52 KiB) Viewed 7737 times
Kershaw Ken Onion Chive.jpg
Kershaw Ken Onion Chive.jpg (16.39 KiB) Viewed 7736 times
Please visit the Member Stores here at AAPK, including my store.....GET AN EDGE!
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/getanedge
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Joe,
Your x-ray looks like my left wrist. I had some of the pins come loose and move around my hand until they were poking out of the skin. They took all of the pins out and put in an artificial wrist joint, which broke. They replaced it two more times. They had removed an entire row of bones and took out my ulna halfway back to the elbow. My x-ray now has no steel in it now, just a whole bunch of bone from my hip and lots of speckles on the x-ray from leftover surgical cement. It kind of looks like shrapnel. They took so much bone out of my hips to fuse my wrist, that I now have hip problems. ::disgust:: the only motion I have in my left wrist is a little bit of rotation of my hand. The wrist doesn't move at all, it is fused solid.
Oh well, at least I'm not left-handed.
Your elbow looks like it really hurt, :shock: and maybe still does. I don't think I want to trade your elbow for my wrist. You know what they say; "That which doesn't kill you just make you stronger." But there are times I would take a little weakness instead!

Take care and have a Merry Christmas,
Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

sunburst

Post by sunburst »

Eeeeeooowwwww ::barf:: Your xray made my bones hurt... :shock:

Great looking automatic's folks.... :)
“The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways”
JOE62

Post by JOE62 »

Dale,
Your wrist sounds alot more troublesome than my elbow. They only had to rebuild it once and I got about 45° movement in it. Now my leg was a different story, started with a 10mm rod and kept breaking. I now have a 13mm in it and it's about an inch shorter.
sunburst

Post by sunburst »

This particular knife seems to be in a little different catagory than ya'lls but it is an assisted opening knife...And its all I got!! :P

Sunburst
Attachments
WeidmannsheilLeverLock1.jpg
WeidmannsheilLeverLock1.jpg (85.05 KiB) Viewed 4317 times
“The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways”
JOE62

Post by JOE62 »

That will work. ::tu::
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Tactical

Post by garddogg56 »

Hukk wrote:The top one is a Camillus Heat Black Tanto Point ComboEdge Blade, a liner lock that I like a lot, I believe Bryan has 1 for sale at a good price. The bottom one is a Automat Kalashnikov 74. OH, the openining is assisted by that little spring below it. :lol: :lol: These are the first tacticals I got and I won both as a prize in the knife club meeting I got to each month. :mrgreen: However, if I win again, I will have to buy the door prizes. ::paranoid:: I was surprised to find that I liked them as much as I do, I need to remove the belt clips on the backside, I don't find them useful, more annoying than anything else. I also need to add that spring. :D
Are the Camillus made in the USA???
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Assisted Opening

Post by TripleF »

I have these two. I reviewed both of these in my blog and L-O-V-E them!!

Kershaw Needs Work:

CRKT Badger Gallagher OUTBURST!

SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Kershaw Ken Onion speed safe,on left when I need one hand operation at work ::nod:: It is also my EDC ::tu:: The others are Klein electrician knives.
Attachments
100_1508.jpg
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

A couple of Kershaw Leeks and a Scallion. Also a Meyerco Blackie Collins Strut 'N Cut Rascal and a couple of Chinese POS AOs. One because it has the Marine Corps emblem on it, the other because it was a dollar. No pictures on the last three.
Attachments
Kershaw Leek.JPG
Kershaw Leek - Marine #25.JPG
Kershaw Scallion - Marine #25.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

garddogg56 wrote:
Hukk wrote:The top one is a Camillus Heat Black Tanto Point ComboEdge Blade, a liner lock that I like a lot, I believe Bryan has 1 for sale at a good price. The bottom one is a Automat Kalashnikov 74. OH, the openining is assisted by that little spring below it. :lol: :lol: These are the first tacticals I got and I won both as a prize in the knife club meeting I got to each month. :mrgreen: However, if I win again, I will have to buy the door prizes. ::paranoid:: I was surprised to find that I liked them as much as I do, I need to remove the belt clips on the backside, I don't find them useful, more annoying than anything else. I also need to add that spring. :D
Are the Camillus made in the USA???
gardd-
That post was made in 2006, Camillus closed up about February of 2007. At the time that was posted, Camillus had those knives made in Taiwan. Since Camillus closed someone is having the same pattern made in Spain, iirc. I have heard they are nearly the same.

Great old thread, thanks for resurrecting it! ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Might as well jump in as it was AO's that first got me sliding down the steel slope! :)
Attachments
Kershaw speedsafe assisted open knife.JPG
crktbadger.jpg
crktbadger.jpg (19.61 KiB) Viewed 3396 times
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb

Return to “Modern Tactical Knives”