Case Classic Knives(Please someone from Case READ THIS)

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Carl1970

Case Classic Knives(Please someone from Case READ THIS)

Post by Carl1970 »

I have been collecting Case Knives for about a year now. I found an old hardware store with an old large Case display full of knives. I got an unreal deal on Display and all. I was hooked. Buying several more Case knives. I am older than a half century and never heard of Case Classics. I have since started buying them for the last 3 months. I really don't care if Queen or the Cookie Monster made them for Case they are a part of Case history and each knife tells a story of a past knife that we will never see again. The quality blows a real Case away. They should go back to using those old dies. I miss my grandfathers knives. He was born in the 1800s and I have none of the knives he gave me as a kid. These Case Classics are the closest I've seen in modern times to his. These ugly modern knives Spyderco and the like have really depressed me. What I am saying is "CASE PLEASE DO ANOTHER RUN OF YOUR CLASSICS!!!" You would sell out before they could get to the shelf.
Doc B

Re: Case Classic Knives(Please someone from Case READ THIS)

Post by Doc B »

Carl, welcome to AAPK!!! I'm sure we would enjoy seeing some pictures of your display case and knives! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
::handshake::
::welcome::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK Carl. I’m with Doc - love to see your knives and display.

I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said regarding the quality of the knives made for the Case Classics line. They are of excellent quality, with exception of those having celluloid handle covers prone to out-gassing.

However the concept, execution, financing and marketing of the Case Classics was not an endeavor of the W.R. Case Company. Instead these were a joint venture between Blue Grass Cutlery and James Parker, who was at the time owner of W.R. Case. Parker was a “wheeler-dealer” who acquired Case during a time when the company was in financial strife, but he did not have the depth of financial resources to sustain operations and recoup the company’s former status. In his efforts to sustain cash flow and operations he sold off some of the company’s assets. At some point Blue Grass purchased those old dies and tooling you referenced, and as far as I know still owns them. As you probably know at one time that equipment resided at Queen. Not sure what its status is now. The joint venture continued for some years after W.R. Case Company was sold by James Parker. Parker and Blue Grass retained the rights to continue manufacturing and marketing the Case Classics line. So in fact the Case Classics were never made for Case, at least not the Case company. I know it’s confusing. ::hmm::

If you want to encourage Case to make knives like they did years ago, send your request to consumer-relations@wrcase.com. I’m not saying they won’t see your post here, or even if it was your intent that they would see it. But I doubt they’ll see it here.

Lastly I’m not sure who owns the rights to the “Case Classics” name but I don’t think It’s Case. ::shrug:: Some others here may know more about it.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Carl1970

Post by Carl1970 »

So what you are telling me is that the historical knives of old are probably gone forever. If those knives where made from the original dies then no matter who did the work the knives are CASE. I say this because I see posts putting them down and saying they aren't Case so they don't want to collect them. Those dies and tooling were, if I'm correct the original ones. If not please let me know my mistake. So to me they are very collectable since we probably will never see anything off those old original patterns again (That Say CASE). Unless someone does the right thing and gets them back in the proper hands. I see that all the knives that Bluegrass puts out under the "Remington" name look awful familiar. I see Jim Parker Jr. selling these knives all over eBay also. From my research that has done nothing but drive the value down. There's a lot more I will keep to myself about this, since I'm very new to the knife world.

Thank You,
Carl1970

Post by Carl1970 »

When I figure out how to attach photo I will post some.
Carl1970

Post by Carl1970 »

Just a Few
Just a Few
Just a Few
Just a Few
Will send more pics including my Case Store Display. I do not have everything set up as I am in process of moving.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

I don't think any of those "classics" were made on old Case dies, they were modern knives made to look like old knives plain and simple and they were CHEAP. Just like none of the KA-BAR Collectors Club knives made by Queen were made on old KA-BAR dies, they were just made to look like old KA-BARs. Parker sold those classics like this: buy one knife, price is X, buy three, price is less 30% of X, buy a dozen, price is half X. They were really cheap if you spent a thousand bucks. He also said that if you kept them for five years he would give you more than you paid and buy them back which was a bald lie. The "classics" seem to have hit a value plateau, they usually don't bring a lot of money. Like stated above they were not made by Case, had nothing to do with Case, and were not made on old case dies or any old case machinery or parts. Do people collect them, yes, will they go up in value from here, likely not. Parker even published a book with supposed values which was total BS. Think I had a problem with him? Yep, got burned by him on some older Schrades and one of my buddies bought $2,000 worth of the classics and when the five years was well gone by Parker refused to buy any back at any price much less for a profit as he had promised when selling them. Two grand was a lot for a working guy back in the early 80s.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

That’s one of the things that make knife collecting, and especially cutlery history interesting to many of us. Who made what for whom, when and why is complex. And we all have our opinions about it, which makes for some interesting debates and discussions. :lol:

James Parker Sr. is a controversial figure who has his detractors and defenders. A search here on AAPK will turn up a lot of posts about the man. You can also find a wealth of information on Case Classics. Some fascinating reading, at least to me.

Unfortunately I’d say your conclusion about the “historical knives of old” no longer being made is probably correct. For many reasons. Which is why many collectors (Like me) are attracted to older knives. GEC is probably as close as any current U.S. maker to old-time methods and quality but even they have occasional lapses that never would have been acceptable in the first half of 20th century American cutlery. Case still produces some excellent knives but consistency of quality across the line just isn’t there - with few exceptions I’ll buy only what I can handle in person. Buck and others make quality knives, but of a different type.

Regarding any old tooling being returned to “the proper hands”, it’s my opinion that Case probably wouldn’t want it nor use it. I’m an old manufacturing guy, and let’s just say the manufacturing processes used by Case today are not compatible with much of that older equipment. A subject for another day perhaps but it would probably be boring to most here.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

Carl1970

Post by Carl1970 »

It wouldn't be boring to me since I to am in the manufacturing field also. I appreciate all the information I can receive and will remain neutral until I learn more about the knife industry's history and yes, this is all very interesting to me. I love history and feel like I am at the right place to learn this subject. I had no idea that I could actually talk to someone directly involved with the situation. Thank everyone for the open discussion.
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

The high price of Case Classics compared to the 1980 and newer Cases that I collect is the reason I only own three models and one of my Case Classics is a user that I bought to sand and polish. With Queen gone if Case was going to hire out small lots of high end knifes which manufactures could do it? Apparently GEC does not have the excess manufacturing capacity.

What Case could more reasonably do is bring back part of their 1990s Select line. Here's two examples. The Select *347 Stockman retained a stockman's traditional two springs after production *347 Stockmans went to three springs. It is a popular knife so there's a good chance that some nicer ones would sell. The Select *347 Whittler had the traditional wedge separating two springs after production *347 Whittlers got three springs. Add the options of stag and pearl and Case would have traditional high end knives for collectors without having to sub-contract their production or scrounge up old tooling.
Carl1970

Post by Carl1970 »

Does anyone have a picture of the Case Classic Saddlehorn or Gunboat Canoe that was made in house by Case?
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”