Tested 6380?

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Tested 6380?

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Is this the pattern they call a “Carpenter’s Whitler” of am I thinking of something else?
SSK
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
dto1982

Post by dto1982 »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:Is this the pattern they call a “Carpenter’s Whitler” of am I thinking of something else?
SSK
Yes I believe it is
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

I see the OP knive has made it to Ebay for a mighty wishful price.
Roger
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

peanut740 wrote:I see the OP knive has made it to Ebay for a mighty wishful price.
Hmmm! Perhaps someone should have explained the concept of value in less than mint condition and the difference between book value and actual value. ::woot::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
dto1982

Post by dto1982 »

Does nobody understand the concept of a best offer listing? Pretty common on Ebay. Could ask for a million dollars if I want to. Buyers are welcome to make.an offer or buy it from someone else. I'm well aware that the value, in this condition, as stated earlier in this post is 2500 to 3500 dollars. Not quite sure why it matters either way.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

dto1982 wrote:Does nobody understand the concept of a best offer listing? Pretty common on Ebay. Could ask for a million dollars if I want to. Buyers are welcome to make.an offer or buy it from someone else. I'm well aware that the value, in this condition, as stated earlier in this post is 2500 to 3500 dollars. Not quite sure why it matters either way.
When I see a knife listed for way over what the knife is worth it immediately tells me something about the seller. Should a novice or other uninformed person actually offer that price I think the seller would take the money and run. He's fishing for sucker's. I'll just take my business elsewhere.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

gsmith7158 wrote:
dto1982 wrote:Does nobody understand the concept of a best offer listing? Pretty common on Ebay. Could ask for a million dollars if I want to. Buyers are welcome to make.an offer or buy it from someone else. I'm well aware that the value, in this condition, as stated earlier in this post is 2500 to 3500 dollars. Not quite sure why it matters either way.
When I see a knife listed for way over what the knife is worth it immediately tells me something about the seller. Should a novice or other uninformed person actually offer that price I think the seller would take the money and run. He's fishing for sucker's. I'll just take my business elsewhere.
Ditto.
Roger
jlw257

Post by jlw257 »

peanut740 wrote:
gsmith7158 wrote:
Ditto.
Larry W

Happiness is looking for XX Case Red Stag Knives
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

To clarify in this case the question asked and answered was "what should I insure it for?" Not "what's it worth?" Those are not always the same. ::doh::

Yes I'm very familiar with "best offer" eBay listings - and in my experience most sellers that successfully use that method price the item around 20% above what they expect to get, or believe the item to be worth. So if they think the item is worth $3000 for example, the price listed would be $3600 OBO.

But it's a free market so you see all sorts of price schemes. If someone is willing to pay at least 2x what an item is worth, so be it. I've overpaid myself (but not over 2x ::woot:: ) for knives I wanted and thought I'd probably never get another chance to obtain. I've also seen overpriced items go unsold through multiple listings, with the price incrementally lowered each time until either someone finally bought it, or the listing disappeared. ::shrug::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

The most current price list I have from an esteemed Case dealer with 60+ years experience with Case knives shows a $5500 book value for a mint Case Tested XX 6380 Green Bone. Who would have thought a knife price on that price list could be under-priced? :) ::uc:: ::hmm:: ::shrug::
jlw257

Post by jlw257 »

All I can say is I hope the value of the Tested XX 6380 keep going up ( I have 4) ::tu:: ::tu::
Larry W

gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

jlw257 wrote:All I can say is I hope the value price of the Tested XX 6380 keep going up ( I have 4) ::tu:: ::tu::
Well I know who to start pestering when I get ready to buy one. :D
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
jlw257

Post by jlw257 »

gsmith7158 wrote:
jlw257 wrote:All I can say is I hope the value price of the Tested XX 6380 keep going up ( I have 4) ::tu:: ::tu::
Greg, when you get ready for one let me know ::tu:: ::tu::
Larry W

gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

jlw257 wrote:
gsmith7158 wrote:
Greg, when you get ready for one let me know ::tu:: ::tu::
Larry ::tu::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

The original post knife is no longer listed on eBay and I can’t seem to find it in the sold or completed listings. I was following it to try to determine what the selling price might be. Does anyone know the outcome for this knife?
jlw257

Post by jlw257 »

It’s back and someone cleaned it up some.
Only $3,499.00 or Best Offer

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3942934476
Attachments
54EC933B-7C43-45B6-8980-BF2FEB0C3A08.png
Larry W

Jdub

Post by Jdub »

I would just like to say that I believe the knife was never found in a tool box, in fact it was won off of ebay in a lot of knives for a touch over 600 dollars. Not that it matters. Just not buying the found in tool box story!!
Jdub

Post by Jdub »

Here we go just for the heck of it!! I knew I had seen it.
Attachments
D4CD7845-BEF7-4A1E-8298-5DB75E15EE1C.png
4CCB3FA4-6ED4-4DFD-9949-19EDF80E9ED8.png
espn77

Post by espn77 »

There ya go.....the great family heirloom.
jlw257

Post by jlw257 »

I offer him $800 for it, why I don’t know. We were both dumb ::dang:: Me for offering and him for turning it down ::td::
Larry W

Jdub

Post by Jdub »

Lol. 200 profit, plus the other knives??? I would have took your offer... lol
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Jdub wrote:Here we go just for the heck of it!! I knew I had seen it.
Here is the link to the eBay listing in case folks want to look. The pictures in the listing don't enlarge. There is an individual picture of the knife being discussed if scroll to the right in the pictures.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-12-POCK ... 7675.l2557
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

jlw257 wrote:It’s back and someone cleaned it up some.
Only $3,499.00 or Best Offer

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3942934476
Also looks to be listed in the AAPK store.
https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... -excellent
wlf

Post by wlf »

Old Hundley did a lot of business like this seller. Patience may be worth something.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
rugmar

Post by rugmar »

Sorry for the late post here but I just have to comment.

I love this pattern and I think your knife is nice for it's age. However, it sure looks to me like someone has already cleaned on those blades. Most likely by glass beading. If you look at the last photos that were posted, and click on them to see up close, I think you will see what I mean. There are some deep pits and they don't get there without leaving some black specks behind. The presence of the pits without the black color mean it's been cleaned, and probably not in a real kind way. Also the matte color of the tangs and most of the blades is indicative of the same. I'm not saying this definitively, just that It's my opinion. I'm also not throwing off on the knife, because I love it regardless. Mostly just saying all this looking for further discussion. It is after all, an interesting subject.

Thanks for reading and again, sorry for the late post.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”