63091 Proto. Lots of unusual things about this knife.

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
bkazz5

63091 Proto. Lots of unusual things about this knife.

Post by bkazz5 »

I acquired this 63091 that is marked proto. A few things about this knife are unusual to me. First it is marked with the pattern number of 83091 when I believe it should be 63091. Also all blades have different tang stamps. Is it common with protos to have non typical stamps? The knife is in great shape. Came in the orange sunrise box. No COA. AHs blue/green scales. Interested in any feedback regarding the authenticity of this knife. How do you know if it is an actual proto?
Attachments
83091 Proto Front.jpg
83091 proto back.jpg
83091 Proto Tang 3.jpg
83091 Proto Tang 1.jpg
outofplace

Re: 63091 Proto. Lots of unusual things about this knife.

Post by outofplace »

Most likely a Case Classic Proto, made by James Parker. They made so many different, and unusual Proto's and Patterns it's hard to tell. If possible, get your hands on a copy of Case Classics Best in the Long Haul and you might be able to find it in the Book. Just so you know, the Book is not cheap to purchase. The Knife looks Good to me! Good Luck! Don
Classic Case

Re: 63091 Proto. Lots of unusual things about this knife.

Post by Classic Case »

The knife looks good to me. ::tu:: On the proto's and short run type stuff, sometimes the pattern numbers are not correct as to handle material, sometimes there's no pattern number at all. They can have stampings on different blades, from different eras of Case. (for example, Case Brothers,.. W.R.Case)
Chris - I'd give my right arm to be ambidexterous.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”