New guy with ??? about protos

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
pappy

New guy with ??? about protos

Post by pappy »

First, howdy folks I'm new here my names Ron or Pappy, either works. I'm a huge fan of toothpicks. I'm looking for info about how the Classic protos were marked. I've read some were stamped on the blades others had the long tail C on the bolster&read proto' some were 000, were these year specific? I mean were the '91's marked on the bolster & the '92's on the blade etc.etc. I just bought a Yellow Bone Bradford'Pa. 61098SAB (no etch on the blade) with the round Case cartridge shield thats marked with LTC(long tail C) proto on the bolster. Don't have pics, just got it off Ebay. THANKS & oh yes, thanks for the Ebay link, now I have to get a second job ::doh:: !!!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: New guy with ??? about protos

Post by jerryd6818 »

I can't help you with your question but I can welcome you to AAPK. ::welcome:: Don't worry. There are some here that can be of assistance. Patience grasshopper.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Classic Case

Post by Classic Case »

I dont believe the markings are year specific. The knives marked with 0 - 00 - 000 - 0000 - 00000 are not prototypes, no matter who says they are. Long tail C , with proto on bolster is a good proto marking. The engraved prototype on blade is a good proto marking as well. That being said, there are alot of counterfeit engravings as well. anyway, welcome to AAPK. ::tu::
Chris - I'd give my right arm to be ambidexterous.
Classic Case

Post by Classic Case »

The knives with the zero's on them were a marketing ploy by a big dealer during the CC program. These knives were marketed as having a "prototype serial #". The dealer had a few knives of each release marked with these "prototype serial no.'s". The knives are NOT prototypes, but this is were much of the confusion about these knives was created. With passage of time,these little things are forgotton, and people claim anything they want to make a sale. How do I know this? Because I bought hundreds of knives off this dealer, I still have the catalogs, bills of sale, etc., as well as the knives ::sneaky::
Chris - I'd give my right arm to be ambidexterous.
road_warri0r

Post by road_warri0r »

I want to put in my 2 cents on the 000 marking. Time after time eBay sellers will say this is a proto, and I got burned once when I first started collecting Case Classics by this false advertising. To the best of my understanding, when dealers ordered the knives originally they could have a serial number engraved, this was thought to be a nice touch if a person was buying different patterns, and it would have been a neat idea to have matching serial numbers, ( or at least that was some peoples thinking) Since the dealers had the option of having a serial number many went with the 000 or 00 or 0 which actually meant it had NO serial number, but later on this was interpreted as meaning it was special as the first knife made or whatever advertising ploy they could label on this number system. I have also heard / read that the first 100 of each pattern actually had in sequence from 01-100. I have had a couple knives with a knife number like 043 etc which appears this may have been the case. For me as a collector, I would much rather that the bolster be unmarked, the number whether it be 0 or 100000000 realy detracts from the knife. Even on Protos I would much rather see the Protoype engaving on the backside of the main blade and NOT the bolster, sorry for so much ranting, that was more like a nickles worth. :)
pappy

Post by pappy »

Thanks for the info guys. And I agree with you rosd warrior,I'd rather have an unmarked bolster anyday.
npeters3

Post by npeters3 »

I have two of these prototypes that are both the same. 62091. The one that I did not take the picture of has a buffalo on the sheild. It is pretty neat. Mine actually say Proto on the bolster. I'm not sure if they are all this way, but I thought that I would show how this one is.
Hope this helps.
Knife is in loose hands. FYI
IMG_1379[1].JPG
IMG_1380[1].JPG
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are." -John Wooden
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

The Classic program is so littered with fake protos that even the experts aren't sure about every one. They are nice knives though so you may as well enjoy them. I love my fake proto. It has the wrong bone. No it has the right bone but it's not the right color. It has the right color but the wrong box. Proto is engraved in the wrong spot or maybe the right spot. Send it to this Guy and he'll give you a COA. No his COA's are no good because he gives them to everyone and some of those are fake as well ::hmm:: I got exhausted after everbody carved this one up. I think they deceided I should EDC it. I deceided to steer clear ::shrug::
If you want to go mad ask who made your knife and stand back ::rotflol::
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
deanmm56

Post by deanmm56 »

Pappy ,

::welcome:: to AAPK. You will find a tremendous amount of knowledge from fellow members here. Chris aka Case Classic gave you a very informative opinion of which I totally agree. I've been collecting Case Classics for some time now and while I've been taken once or twice on Ebay I've educated myself both through this site and as a member of the Case Classics Club ..... a small annual fee at this site and also some top notch information. Many of the same members at the Case Classic Club also post here on AAPK.

I'm not as informed as some here on the site but feel free to email me with specific questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

Great and unusual history of the Case Classics.
Dean M. Morron

email : deanm56@aol.com

ebay as : deanm56635w
deanmm56

Post by deanmm56 »

Pappy ,

::welcome:: to AAPK. You will find a tremendous amount of knowledge from fellow members here. Chris aka Case Classic gave you a very informative opinion of which I totally agree. I've been collecting Case Classics for some time now and while I've been taken once or twice on Ebay I've educated myself both through this site and as a member of the Case Classics Club ..... a small annual fee at this site and also some top notch information. Many of the same members at the Case Classic Club also post here on AAPK.

I'm not as informed as some here on the site but feel free to email me with specific questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

Great and unusual history of the Case Classics.
Dean M. Morron

email : deanm56@aol.com

ebay as : deanm56635w

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”