6391 Proto

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
wazu013

6391 Proto

Post by wazu013 »

Here's a Classic I thought I'd share. I'm stumped as to what Bannana bone is. I don't have a COA but it looks real to me.
Check it out.
Attachments
6391 Proto (7).JPG
6391 Proto (6).JPG
6391 Proto (4).JPG
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: 6391 Proto

Post by 1967redrider »

Sweet knife, looks like Rogers jigging to me. Not sure about banana bone, you would think that would be a color. ::shrug::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Classic Case

Post by Classic Case »

banana bone is a name for the jigging, not the color. This knife doesn't really look like banana jigging to me. This knife on ebay has banana jigging.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Case-Cl ... 25742f0c11
Chris - I'd give my right arm to be ambidexterous.
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Don't look like any banana I've ever seen....

Really diggin' the double pull. Sweet knife!
::tu::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
Classic Case

Post by Classic Case »

That box most likely doesn't belong to that knife. That box came with W.R. Case & sons, stamped knives. The Case Brothers stamped knives came in a box like this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Case-Classic-Bo ... 1c2a36e111
That, the fact I dont think it's banana bone, and a few other things, would make me question whether it is what it is portrayed to be. It is still a nice knife,but I believe it to be a regular issue knife.
I may be wrong, and certainly I would get more opinions, but that is mine. ::shrug::
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

Classic Case wrote:That box most likely doesn't belong to that knife. That box came with W.R. Case & sons, stamped knives. The Case Brothers stamped knives came in a box like this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Case-Classic-Bo ... 1c2a36e111
That, the fact I dont think it's banana bone, and a few other things, would make me question whether it is what it is portrayed to be. It is still a nice knife,but I believe it to be a regular issue knife.
I may be wrong, and certainly I would get more opinions, but that is mine. ::shrug::
Do you think some YoYo engraved proto on it then labeled the wrong box? :( That's what kills me about the Classics in general. Anybody with a pen can create a box for any knife. That's why you see the boxes being sold all the time. I bought it on Ebay a few years ago so it wouldn't surprise me. It sure is a nice knife whatever it could be. Without the COA it leaves it open for debate. Thanks for your input.
Classic Case

Post by Classic Case »

Do you think some YoYo engraved proto on it then labeled the wrong box?
In a word, Yes . I think thats exactly what they did. I believe it is a 1 of 3000 rogers bone issue.
TheClasp

Post by TheClasp »

Here's a pic of a 61072 that I purchased with what were described as "Banana Bone" scales.
I agree with the comment that the term "banana bone" describes the jigging, not the color of the bone. I was told that it was designed to look like a banana peel after it was a couple of days old. Sounds odd, but that's how it was explained to me by a knowledgeable Case Classics collector.
Attachments
P8120001.JPG
P8120005.JPG
Nothing left to do but :) :) :)
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

A lot of the Proto's often don't have the correct info on the box and the 91's seem to one of the worst. I've got one to prove it. I posted it on the Case Classics web site forum and John who runs it confirmed that it was indeed a Proto, but the markings on the box were all hosed up. Yours does seem to be lacking the proper prototype engraving on the back of the main blade though.
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

[quote="Elvis"]A lot of the Proto's often don't have the correct info on the box and the 91's seem to one of the worst. I've got one to prove it. I posted it on the Case Classics web site forum and John who runs it confirmed that it was indeed a Proto, but the markings on the box were all hosed up. Yours does seem to be lacking the proper prototype engraving on the back of the main blade though.

Thanks Elvis.
I'm thinking about sending it to Buzz for inspection but by the time I send it there and back plus pay him for the time and trouble I'll be adding another 25% to my cost. It just doesn't make sense to go through all the trouble of faking one of these. I bought it back in 2007 on Ebay for the going rate of a non proto knife because it had no COA. I've seen proto engraved on the bolster before but not just the word. Usually it's within the long tail C logo. Without a COA I don't have a leg to stand on. If I had an extra $300 I'd get the Best in the Long Haul book. Maybe it's in there :lol: I just posted it because it's a cool knife. It's not for sale. I should have kept the box out of the pic and put my thumb over the engraving. Now my stomach is all whipped up thinking I was hosed again. This still doesn't come close to the Tested Era canoe my wife bought for me. What a POS that was and I couldn't do anything about it. I tell everybody It came from Case Pakistan and imported by Charleton Heston ::super_happy::
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

Is there a catalog with all the Prototype Classics listed? If so one of our members must have one. I hope if they do they would look it up for me ::pray::
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

This is turning out to be a very interesting thread for me, learning a lot. ::nod::

wasu, I remember that Paki-canoe. :shock:
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

This is the only Case Proto I have that I know is 100% legit.
Attachments
Proto Stockman 62087.JPG
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

1967redrider wrote:This is turning out to be a very interesting thread for me, learning a lot. ::nod::

wasu, I remember that Paki-canoe. :shock:
Here's the link to that thread in case anybodies interested.
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... e+pakistan
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

Here's a Honey Banana Bone knife that has a COA. It's for sale by another member here. The jigging looks allot like my knife. I think the banana bone is in the mind of the Hafter. That's probably why they only made 7 of them, the foreman said that doesn't look like the bone that I have on my banana. Some of the scales look like mashed banana others look like peach seed jigging only a little more randon. It's hard to find any 2 or 3 the same. As far as the box who knows why they stuffed it in the wrong one. Of course they protected them real good. You can buy any kind you need on Ebay today. In fact I think I have one kicking around here that came with a Blue Scroll trapper I bought 15 years ago. I keep my rubberbands in it :oops: That's why I hope there is a holy grail book with all the prototype knives made listed. It seems like there are 100's of them.
Attachments
Case 6223 Honey Banana Bone.jpg
Case 6223 Honey Banana Bone.jpg (33.9 KiB) Viewed 4555 times
Classic Case

Post by Classic Case »

If the above knife had honey banana bone handles, the blade etch would be case xx. This knife is regular honey bone with the w.r. case etch. Ref: page 67, Case Classics, best in the long haul. Also, there is no master list of the prototypes.
TheClasp

Post by TheClasp »

I have a rather long list of what prototypes were produced and the approximate month and year they were produced, I'll take a look...
Nothing left to do but :) :) :)
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Classic Case wrote:If the above knife had honey banana bone handles, the blade etch would be case xx. This knife is regular honey bone with the w.r. case etch. Ref: page 67, Case Classics, best in the long haul. Also, there is no master list of the prototypes.
I don't think I have the "Case Classics, best in the long haul". I know I do have a color CC book though, might be the same one. I have to check.

Just to clarify, my box said Honey Banana Bone. Yes, I know, someone could have wrote that on the box and I don't have my CC book with me. Not questioning the handle type but consider this...

Pocket Traders Guide #9, page 256, shows the 6223 "Honey Ban Bone-Bomb" 166 made, book at $225. I assume "Case Classics, best in the long haul" shows this knife with a bomb shield???

Same book and page show the 6223 "Honey Bone- Oval Shield" 750 made, book at $250. Again, mine has bomb shield. N/A!

So if mine is a 6223 Honey Bone (assuming they have only the bomb shield), it is 1 of 95 and serialized #034. Book at $325. More than the $225 I thought.....
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
Classic Case

Post by Classic Case »

Your knife is Item "D" . 1 of 750. Forgive the bad photo, but my batteries ran low and I could not take more photos right now. It is also the only knife shown with the w.r. case etch.
Attachments
HPIM0523.JPG
robinetn

Post by robinetn »

There are a lot more "protos" and "1 of 2", "1 of 3" , "1 of 5" , etc... , out there than were ever produced at the factory (either in Titusville or Bradford).
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

robinetn wrote:There are a lot more "protos" and "1 of 2", "1 of 3" , "1 of 5" , etc... , out there than were ever produced at the factory (either in Titusville or Bradford).
This is why the Case Classic Prototype myth is so watered down. I'll bet at one time a number of "Protos" made it out in a lunch pail. They are all coming out now because most of the children and Grandchildren are finding knives everywhere. Not to mention the intentional fraud that has plagued Case XX collectors. I won't buy a Case knife now unless I know the seller. That's why forums like this are great. You bulid a rapport or friendship in kind with people like us then use your gut before pulling the trigger on an expensive knife. I know I'll give a buyer from this forum every chance he needs to like the knife I sold him or I'll refund everything plus shipping. I remember watching a guy at a knife show whip together every brand of knife imaginable from parts and blades sold from bins at auctions then selling them with a COA as a reproduction but you knew some of the buyers were tossing the COA's and selling them as New old stock with a long story. Your better off sticking to the actual documented knives and stay away from the Celluloid knives unless you have a vacuum chamber.
Aimus Moses

Post by Aimus Moses »

robinetn wrote:There are a lot more "protos" and "1 of 2", "1 of 3" , "1 of 5" , etc... , out there than were ever produced at the factory (either in Titusville or Bradford).
You got that right Bob. ::nod:: And IMHO those protos and 1 of 2, 1 of 3, 1 of 5's are still being made to this day and are being put up for sale. When I buy a Case Classic knife, I buy the quality of the knife, not the etch writing on it, the written up C.O.A., or the story that goes along with it. If the knife can't stand on it's own merits that etch nor that C.O.A. makes it any better of a knife to me. That's just MHO.

Aimus
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

Aimus Moses wrote:
You got that right Bob. ::nod:: And IMHO those protos and 1 of 2, 1 of 3, 1 of 5's are still being made to this day and are being put up for sale. When I buy a Case Classic knife, I buy the quality of the knife, not the etch writing on it, the written up C.O.A., or the story that goes along with it. If the knife can't stand on it's own merits that etch nor that C.O.A. makes it any better of a knife to me. That's just MHO.

Aimus
Hey Aimus,
I agree with you and Bob. I'll bet someone is still putting out some "protos" or at least engraving some regular issue knives and pushing them along. Now it comes down to price and quality to me. The 6391 that were talking about here is a very solid knife. The materials are first class and it's kind of old school as well. I'm thinking about making this one my EDC. ::tu::

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”