Need Info On Case Classic Toothpick Set Of Four

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
deserttrans

Need Info On Case Classic Toothpick Set Of Four

Post by deserttrans »

I've been searching for info on this set of toothpicks. They were a gift to me about 15 years ago. I would like to know the scale material type. Also the possible value for insurance purpose. I can add them to my gun policy for zero premium increase. They are new and just taken out of the case for photos. Your help and opions are appreciated.
Case Toothpicks Classics 005.jpg
Attachments
Case Toothpicks Classics 003.jpg
Case Toothpicks Classics 002.jpg
Case Toothpicks Classics 001.jpg
Case Toothpicks Classics 004.jpg
Freedom Ain't FREE....
tc3500

Re: Need Info On Case Classic Toothpick Set Of Four

Post by tc3500 »

Those are beautiful !! Someone will know more on value, but I wanted to say WOW.
I got interested in collecting recently and toothpicks are many of the first knives I
purchased.

Thanks for posting these great examples,
Trevor
deanmm56

Post by deanmm56 »

deserttrans,

What you have there is a Case Classic 25 cent toothpick set. It consists of four toothpicks : 1096 for the 25 cent, 1094 for the 50 cent, 1095 for the 75 cent and the 1098 for the $1.00 stamp

According to Jim Parker's book " Best in the Long Haul", there were only 175 sets made in three different handles ; Glitter Stripe, Green Bone and Genuine Stag. Yours is Green Bone and a very nice set indeed. The set came standard with a black snap case to store the knives in. I realize your COA states 250 sets but the info in the book differs, not sure why ? other than maybe 250 sets were on schedule for production and they fell short.

Your Case Classics were not made by Case .... they were made by Queens under a license agreement between Jim Parker and Case. Blue Grass Cutlery was the broker / shipping agent.

The best test to price is always what someone is willing to pay .... I've seen sets like yours sell for just a little over $500.00 on Ebay, someone once told me they had seen $600.00 plus. The stag set demands the highest premium price, green bone second and glitter stripe comes in third. Would be nice if you had the Black snap case they came in.

While you do have a complete set, from the pictures shown it appears the second size up ( 1094 or the 50 cent stamp ) looks to be a different handle material .... it looks like Antique Corn Cob Bone ....where the rest appear to be Green Bone. Just my observation from the photos. If this is the case then you do not have a complete set but rather four knives that make up a set .... so the price would not be the same.

Your boxes shown in the pics are not all toothpick boxes ..... the two smaller boxes were used for the 254 trapper ..... that knife WAS made by Case.

Hope this helps ?
Dean M. Morron

email : deanm56@aol.com

ebay as : deanm56635w
deserttrans

Post by deserttrans »

Thank you Dean, for that great info. Great observation on the second (.50) knife. I never really noticed. The smaller boxes too. Since the set is not complete. Would one be better off insuring as a set or go for the value of each indivdual knife? You help is appreciated.

Regards Ron in Az.
Freedom Ain't FREE....
Classic Case

Post by Classic Case »

The 2 smaller knives have corn cob jig according to the COA. CCG means corncob green I believe.
Chris - I'd give my right arm to be ambidexterous.
deserttrans

Post by deserttrans »

Another great observation by Classic Case.... After looking closer I believe the two small are both corn cob. So this set came with two different scales. Now the CCG on the .25 and .50 makes more since. I'm getting a good education!
Freedom Ain't FREE....
deanmm56

Post by deanmm56 »

Personally, I'd insure the set for $600.00.

Maybe it's the angle or the lighting in your pictures but I can't seem to discern the corn cob jigging on the smallest knife the 1096 .... maybe just my eyes. I also noticed a lighter variation of color in the second knife ..... which led me to assume it was not part of the original set ?????

There is no mention of your set in " Case Classics, Best in the Long Haul ", but then again, there were a lot of variations in the Case Classic series.
Dean M. Morron

email : deanm56@aol.com

ebay as : deanm56635w

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”