Case Classic 391 and 3091 Patterns

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Aimus Moses

Case Classic 391 and 3091 Patterns

Post by Aimus Moses »

I know when Case adds a 0 to the middle of a knife's pattern number that it means there was a change of some kind to the original pattern. With that being said, can anyone tell me what the changes were between the Case Classic 391 and the Case Classic 3091 patterns? Thanks.

Aimus
troyl2

Re: Case Classic 391 and 3091 Patterns

Post by troyl2 »

aimus are u sure its a 391,because there is a 394 pattern in the classics which is a cigar whittler, and a 3091 which iscalled an anglo saxon whittler i cant find anything on the 391 pattern
Aimus Moses

Post by Aimus Moses »

Yea, I'm sure Troy. Go to the price guides at the top of the page. Click price guide for Case Classics. You will see a list of patterns, the 3091 is listed there. Now on that same page there's a place where you can type in a Case Classic pattern number that isn't listed there, type in the 391 pattern. There were many Case Classic 3091 patterns made with different handle materials and there were also many 391 patterns made with different handle materials. I was just wondering what the changes were between the 391 pattern and the 3091 pattern. Length? Frame shape? ::shrug::

Aimus
troyl2

Post by troyl2 »

well aimus maybe no changes as it seems without the 0 was there prototypes from what i understand 391 was prototype for 3091
Aimus Moses

Post by Aimus Moses »

troyl2 wrote:well aimus maybe no changes as it seems without the 0 was there prototypes from what i understand 391 was prototype for 3091
That can't be Troy. I have several Case Classic 6391 pattern knives and NONE are prototypes.

Aimus
Classic Case

Post by Classic Case »

Are the stampings different by year? I see no 391 listed in the "book" only 3091's. My guess is they just omitted the 0 when they stamped a run of blades. ::shrug:: . There are 2 different frame sizes on the 3091's but I'm not sure that is the difference, as all the knives (big frame and small) are listed as 3091's in the book.
Chris - I'd give my right arm to be ambidexterous.
troyl2

Post by troyl2 »

aimus im only coming off of parkers book and he lists all the 391 patterns as prototypes im not sure why even the site here does also so maybe you have a bunch of protos and didnt know it
Aimus Moses

Post by Aimus Moses »

I wish Troy. :lol: But I honestly know for sure my 391 pattern Case Classics aren't prototypes. I sold all of the Case Classic prototype knives that I had, and sold or traded off all of the celluloid handled Case Classic knives I had. The 391 paterns I have are just regular production run Case Classic knives. The Case Classic Club website page doesn't list a 391 pattern Case Classic knife. Classic Case maybe, and most likely is right. It could be the 2 different frame sizes that is the difference, or they just omitted the 0 from the pattern number like he said. ::shrug:: He knows the Case Classics series knives very good, and much better than I do. I'll dig mine out of the safe and see if they are all of the same year or same tang stamp, and ect. I'll try to find out what the 391 patterns I have, all have in common. I lean more toward the two frame sizes being the difference right now but, I'll post what I can find out. I don't know if I have a 3091 pattern Case Classic knife or not. I'll have to dig around in the safe to see. If I do I'll match one up with a 391 pattern and see if that tells me anything. The last time I went digging in and moving stuff around in the safe looking for one certain thing, I found a Colt revolver that I had completely forgot that I even owned. I hadn't thought of or missed it in 10 or 12 years. :oops: I man just has too much stuff when it gets like that, you know? I can betcha one thing for certain though, if I do find/have a 3091 pattern Case Classic knife it won't be celluloid handled. ::nod:: I let you know what I find out in the end after a 2 hour safari hunt through the wild kingdom of the safe.

Aimus
gary

Post by gary »

6391 proto. I have the paperwork some where, I'll try to get a pic of it.
The pics should enlarge by clicking on them.
Attachments
case classic 033 (1280x960).jpg
case classic 035 (1280x960).jpg
6391 proto.jpg
deanmm56

Post by deanmm56 »

Hope this makes some sense to all reading ...... from what I understand the "91" was first produced by Case for the Classic series but was later given to Queen's for production. There was some retooling and the end product by Queens was indeed a "3091" and the "391" was a production by Case.

There should be a slight variation in size, I believe overall width of the knife as Case used slightly larger back springs. ...... Just what I've been told by a few people responsible for the Classic Series. ..... Hope this made sense ?
Dean M. Morron

email : deanm56@aol.com

ebay as : deanm56635w
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

gary wrote:6391 proto. I have the paperwork some where, I'll try to get a pic of it.
The pics should enlarge by clicking on them.
That's a great looking knife.
Forensic Jim

Post by Forensic Jim »

Here's one I had a long time ago.
Attachments
IMG_7563.JPG
IMG_7563.JPG (31.72 KiB) Viewed 3696 times
IMG_7564.JPG
IMG_7564.JPG (24.57 KiB) Viewed 3696 times
IMG_7565.JPG
IMG_7565.JPG (25.17 KiB) Viewed 3696 times
RIP Johnnie Rotten

So far, so good...So What!!
Aimus Moses

Post by Aimus Moses »

Well, I put a 3091 pattern and a 391 pattern together and guess what.....there aint no difference that I can see. To find out more I contacted Buzz Parker and asked him the question. Buzz said there is no difference between the 2 patterns. He said he doesn't know a ryme or reason of why they put the 0 on some and not on others. He's words were "the 3091 pattern and the 391 pattern are the same knife. They didn't use the 391 pattern as prototypes for the 3091 patterns. In short, they are the same knife regardless of if it's stamped 391 or 3091." I guess that answers the question.

Aimus
deanmm56

Post by deanmm56 »

Aimus,

I'll assume you have " Case Classics, Best in the Long Haul " ...... Please turn to page 64 and read the explanation for the large and smaller framed versions of the "91".

Pretty much states that Case did make the 1st batch ..... whether this coincides with the number variation or not, I'm not sure.
Dean M. Morron

email : deanm56@aol.com

ebay as : deanm56635w
road_warri0r

Post by road_warri0r »

I collect ONLY 91's and the more I acquire the more I learn that there are more variations than you can shake a stick at. Just saying there are 2 sizes, small frame and large frame isnt the end of story. With the large frames there are also 2 distinct variations of the thickness of the back springs. The Rogers Bone made in 1990 (large frame) is a heavy backspring knife when compared to a 1992 red bone or honey bone (large frame). The Rogers Bone large frame 91 weighs 4.4 oz, while the 1992 red bone and honey bone large frame 91 weighs 3.8 oz. If you have both compare the thickness of the backsprings and spacers, and if you still are not convinced weigh them. In case you are interested a small frame bone handles 91 weighs 3.4 oz, a small frame celluoid weighs 3.2-3.3 oz, while a large frame celluoid weighs 3.9-4.0 oz. Stag handles large frames weigh 4.2-4.4 somewhat depending on the thicknes of the stag. I do not own any small frame stags although I know some small frame stag prototypes exist. I have also noticed some eBay dealers dont know the difference in small frame and large frame 91, they will call large frame.. small frame and vice versa. A quick look to see if there are 2 center rivets is an easy diagnosis of the knife being a large frame. I would love to see some definative list of prototypes of the 91. In the Best in the Long Haul book, there are 60 celluoid large frame with the bomb shell shields which are prototypes. I have many prototypes and have watched dozens and dozens sell on eBay and not sure if I have ever seen a large frame celluoid with a bomb shield. Most celluoids protos are small frame with the oval shield. There also seem to be much variation in bone handles protoypes. I have about the equal number small frame bone and large frame bone proto types. If anyone else collects Classic 91's I will gladly compare notes and ideas if you want to pm me or email me.thanks

email address mtmaning@yahoo.com

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”