Does anybody around here collect Case Classic knives?

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Bryan
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Does anybody around here collect Case Classic knives?

Post by Bryan »

I only have two large Coke Bottles, and I don't really know a lot about them. For anyone who owns some or has examined them closely; how do you think the quality stacks up to other knives from the late 80's early 90's? Does anyone know what kind of quality the blade steel is? I know Queen made most of them, so something tells me it may not be Case's standard crome vanadium or surgical steel.

Bryan Sanders
yerout

Post by yerout »

Bryan, Thanks for the forum on Case Classic's, to answer part of your question's I for one collect Classic's of any pattern number, According to Jim Parker there were over 240 hand operations to produce a Classic as for the blade steel it was a special high carbon C.V. (Chrome Vanadium) steel which was as close as possible to the old steel used by Case Brother's. The Classic's were made by Charlie Dorton, Dave Scott, George Smith the owner's of Blue Grass Cutlery, The early prototype's of these knives were handmade by Tommy Hart of W.R. Case & Sons

Hope this helps !

Roger
Bryan
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Bryan »

Hello Roger,

Thanks for your answers! I am glad that you found this forum. It sounds like you know a lot about the Case Classics. :D I was wondering about the blade material because I don't see very many Case Classics with age spots. Everyone has a different oppinion on this subject, but in my mind, the good stuff ages badly... Maybe I haven't paid close enough attention. Have you ever carried one?

Bryan
Roger - 50/2050

Collecting Case classics

Post by Roger - 50/2050 »

Howdy Bryan,

-----> I am a member of the Case classics club & own a collection of these knives. Are you or someone else on this site looking for the Case classic knives or one of the Case classics books? If so you can contact me at latoots51@earthlink.net & under subject type in " Hey Roger knives ".

Hope all is fine & well with you & your site members, ya'll take care now!

" Texas collector ", Roger - 50/2050 8)

Post by Guest »

Hi
I'm new here. I bought a bunch of Classics from Jim Parker back in the 90's. I'm starting to get back into collecting again. The 88 patterns have really shot up in price.
Corn<^>King

Post by Corn<^>King »

That was me in the previous post. Didn't realize I wasn't logged in.
Bryan
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Bryan »

Hi Corn King,

Welcome to the forums! Glad to hear you are getting back into collecting! Can you remember how much some of them cost new? I would be interrested to know as I wasn't paying attention to them back then, and I've just recently taken an interest.

Thanks,
Bryan
Corn<^>King

Post by Corn<^>King »

I'd say most were 50-75 bucks, exotic handles more tho, with the XXX about 500 at the time. I wish I had bought more 88's and 91's. I'll have to see if I have any old receipts laying around. Man those were fun times, I did a lot of business with Jim Parker. I bought a lot of Bulldog and Fight'n Rooster also.
ivanskee66

Case Classics

Post by ivanskee66 »

I had been collecting Case knives with no real structured approach to the idea of knife collecting. I joined ElephantToenails.com and that's when I met Ol' Roger. I really shouldn't call him old because he's a heck 'uva' lot younger than I. I bought a Case Classic ETN Mother of Pearl off of Roger and since that time I've bought three more from him and have since made an agreement to buy three more from Roger. The one reason that I stick with him is because he knows more about Case Classics and their history than anyone that I've talked to and he's honest. Whatever he tells you, you can take to the bank. The reason that I like the Case Classics is because they are quite unique,very well made and a very good investment. I hope I can get "outa" town before Ol' Roger sees this because he's gonna' be so busy, he'll be jumpin' aroun' like a one legged man in a fanny kickin' contest.
[/b] :oops:
Hawke

Post by Hawke »

True Case Classic?

Ive read all sorts of stuff on this and Im left a bit confused. Seems any knives have the "long tail C" on the shield. Does this alone make it a "Case Classic"

How do we ID a Genuine Case Classic item?
thx
A Scripto Vu-Lighter Collector
Come by and visit
Hawke's Trading Post
Hawke's Boker Notes
Roger - 50/2050

Howdy Hawk,

------ The Case Classics that we are refering to in this section of the forum are the knives that Jim Parker had made as reproductions of the older line of case knives of the past! Don't really know what your talking about with the long tailed C on the shield except for the Silver Script shields which are not Case Classic knives! :| I have seen the long tailed C for the Classic knives on the front bolsters & on the back side of the main blades!

------ Ya'll can help Hawk out on how to ID a Genuine Case Classic knife ( Bryan, Bill, Ivan ::tu:: )!

" Texas collector ", Roger - 50/2050 :wink:
A standing life member of the "Case Classic Club", "allaboutpocketknives.com" & "elephanttoenails.com"
Hawke

Post by Hawke »

here's a "long tail C" on the shield and on the tang.
Thats what I was speaking of. Not all knives of the same year will have this "long tailed C" ive noticed. So what might this signify?
Come by and visit
Hawke's Trading Post
Hawke's Boker Notes
ivanskee66

Case Classics

Post by ivanskee66 »

On my reply, when I made reference to Roger I didn't realize that we have two Rogers in the group. The Roger that I referred is a "Good Ol' Boy " from Texas and his handle is "Ol' Roger-50/2050. Sorry about that.
ivanskee68 :oops:
Bryan
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Bryan »

Hello Hawk,

Glad to see that you joined the forums!!! I'm going to do my best to clarify this for you. Forgive me if I fail because I'm not very good at clarifying things...

I am going to speculate that the term Classic probably indicated to you that they were genuine Case articles???

The classics that we are discussing here are not genuine original vintage Case knives. They are a line of knives that were manufactured in the early 1990s as reproductions of the old style Case knives, and given the name Case Classic. Most were not even manufactured by Case. Some do have long tailed C's on the tang. These would immulate a knife from the age when Case used the long taled C stamp (c. 1920 - 1940). I have attached a couple of pictures of a Case Classic knife. About the easiest way to know if a knife is a classic is by looking at the tang stamp. They will have the actual year of production stamped on with USA in the middle. At least I think they all do. Don't they? The knife in this picture was made in 1991. Above where it reads 19USA91 is a reproduction of a stamp used by Case pre-1920.

Have I confused you even more?

Bryan
Attachments
classic_tang.jpg
classic_tang.jpg (18.92 KiB) Viewed 10467 times
classic_coke_bottle.jpg
classic_coke_bottle.jpg (46.7 KiB) Viewed 10467 times
Bryan
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Bryan »

Howdy Ivanskee,

Haven't seen you around here in a while. I'm learning that what you say about Roger is absolutely true.
:D
Bryan
Hawke

Post by Hawke »

Now theres a good one, "A Case knife not made by Case".

Ok thats does help me alot! Thx
Come by and visit
Hawke's Trading Post
Hawke's Boker Notes
El Lobo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by El Lobo »

Hawke,

If you stick around, you'll get to know that LOTS of knives were made on contract by various companies, for various other companies. Case knives not made by Case, Buck knives not made by Buck, and many, many knives marked only by hardware companies/importers, made by others.

Sometimes sifting through the fool's gold is the best part.

Bill
ivanskee68

Case Classics

Post by ivanskee68 »

Howdy Bryan, It's been awhile since I've had contact with you. I keep looking at your knives for sale and haven't made a decision on anything yet. You know, I can say the same about you that I said about Ol' Roger. I have bought a couple of knives off of you with same happy result. The one knife that I bought from you is still one of my favorites. It is the Case 1977 Blue Scroll 5265 Folding Hunter which is awesome. You gave me great advice and terrific service. You also are a credit to the hobby of knife collecting. Or shall I say (The Passion Of Knife Collecting)
Best Regards, Ivan :D
CCBill

Case Classics

Post by CCBill »

I have picked up quite a few Classics, in the last several years and my favorite pattern is the 254 trapper. The standard run was only stag and green bone. I have 10 different ones, including 6 protos, a 1of 3 and 1 salesman's sample. I am always on the look out for ones that I don't have. If anyone would like, I will list the handle materials that I have and if you have one that I don't, I will try to swap you out of it, or try to buy it.
Ya'll pay attention to Roger 50-2050. Good man and, yes, he does know his Classics(particularly toenails).
I bought a lot of Classic protos, as well as many others, from Jim Parker. He was a good man and a good friend. He did more to further knife collecting than any one else.
Thanks for listening... Bill...
CCBill

Comparing Calssics..

Post by CCBill »

In my humble opinion, the Classics have the best fit and finish of any of the Case knives, in the last 50, or more, years. All you have to do, is hold one in your hand and look closely. For the most part, the handles fit like they should, the blades are as good as you will find and the snap is perfect.
Just for your information, the first 4 patterns were made in the W.R. Case and Sons factory. They were the 254 trapper, the 2100 saddlehorn, the 394 gunboat canoe and the 488 congress.
The rest, as far as I know, were made by Queen.
One thing you need to keep in mind, is, don't get oil on celluloid handles. The oil reacts with the celluloid and starts to break it down. You have seen knives that the part of the blade sticking up, out of a closed knife, was dark and pitted? That's caused by celluloid degradation. It is also best, not to store your celluloid handled knives, with your bone, stag and other natural material handled knives, as istoring them together makes them more prone to pitting. There is a product on the market, called "FLITZ", that will do a lot to stop your knives from destroying themselves and each other.
...Bill...
Bryan
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Bryan »

Mr. Price,

I was just going to ask about the celluloid handled classics. It is real celluloid they used huh? I've been wondering about that lately as I contemplate the direction I'm going to take in my Classics collecting. I usually just stay clear of celluloid alltogether. I'd like to see a list of the 54s that you need. I have none, but I'll keep my eyes out :shock:

Bryan
CCBill

Classics...

Post by CCBill »

Hi, Bryan...
To my knowledge, the Classic handles are true celluloid. I have no proof of that, but by the way they can degrade, they certainly seem to be.
Hope my picture comes out OK.. These are my 254's.
From top to bottom
Allante pearl- Prototype (probably 1 of 1)
Green bone- 1 of 1000
Genuine abalone - 1 of 3
Abalone chip- prototype
Genuine pink coral- prototype
Stag- 1 0f 1000
Genuine MOP- prototype
Genuine MOP- 1 of 3
Genuine MOP- prototype
Inner Mastodon ivory- prototype
Bark Mastodon ivory- prototype(2007&1/2 small trapper)
Attachments
DSC00833 (Small).JPG
DSC00833 (Small).JPG (49.01 KiB) Viewed 8077 times
Bryan
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Bryan »

Awesome! Thanks for sharing the picture. I really like the bark mastadon and the coral. If I ever see one that is not in there, I'll look you up. You have probably already seen and / or own all of the ones I'll ever see, but you never know.

Bryan
Roger - 50/2050

Howdy Boys,

-------- I'M very glad that my good Texas friend Bill Price has decided to join up on this here Case Classics forum with us! Bill is very wise on a lot of the Classic patterns & I value his opinions regarding the above tips he has given us on the care & special maintence to the Case Classics handled in celluloid! I too am a firm user with the product called Flitz but don't use it on any blade surfaces that have any of the Case Classic special edition main blade etchs as I have been told that Flitz will damage these areas! Through the forum that Bill & I use in the case Classic club I have leaned the proper way as Bill mentioned above to keep our celluloid handled knives dry & stored apart from all natural handled knives! ::tu::

" Texas collector ", Roger - 50/2050 :wink:
A standing life member of the "Case Classic Club", "allaboutpocketknives.com" & "elephanttoenails.com"
Campgrama

Re: Does anybody around here collect Case Classic knives?

Post by Campgrama »

I have a collection of knives,lots of them but I have a full display of the American blade Eagle brand by james parker .I believe to be about 1982,Ab1 through Ab 30 .I would like to know what they are worth?These knives have never been used.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”