June 2021 AAPK Knife Giveaway

Enter our knife drawings here.
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: June 2021 AAPK Knife Giveaway

Post by bestgear »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:21 pmOnce upon a time the recipient of a PM also received an email notifying them they had a PM. That feature became extinct a few years ago
I've been on the forum almost 10-years and coordinating the giveaway over 3-years and AAPK-PM's have always been the sole method of winner notifications with the key motivation being that a visit to AAPK was needed to claim winnings. If a notification other than PM's were the norm, it was before my time and not a part of the operation when it was turned-over to me.

Some may view unclaimed winnings as a problem that we (as an online community) should address however I'm of the opinion that one of the benefits of the giveaway is that it requires a site visit to claim winnings and driving site traffic is one of the factors that keeps sites like AAPK alive and healthy.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Well said Tom ::nod::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

bestgear wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:27 pm
Mumbleypeg wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:21 pmOnce upon a time the recipient of a PM also received an email notifying them they had a PM. That feature became extinct a few years ago
I've been on the forum almost 10-years and coordinating the giveaway over 3-years and AAPK-PM's have always been the sole method of winner notifications with the key motivation being that a visit to AAPK was needed to claim winnings. If a notification other than PM's were the norm, it was before my time and not a part of the operation when it was turned-over to me.

Some may view unclaimed winnings as a problem that we (as an online community) should address however I'm of the opinion that one of the benefits of the giveaway is that it requires a site visit to claim winnings and driving site traffic is one of the factors that keeps sites like AAPK alive and healthy.
Okee Dokee then. You're both right to a certain extent, in that prior to the mid teens (I don't remember exactly when) the system would send an email notice when you had a PM, IF you had your Board Preferences set that way (Ken is correct). Then Bryan did a major operating system overhaul in (approximately) the early to mid teens and that feature was no longer available. Now it shows up as a Notification that you have a PM (gray box up towards the top of the page). Notifications also shows that there was activity in a thread you posted in.

It's confusing as all-get-out but that's pretty close to the way it works.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

jerryd6818 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:12 pmIt's confusing as all-get-out but that's pretty close to the way it works.
you’ve got a good memory for these things Jerry which is a good thing and one I’m genuinely thankful for. Your explanation about a dual PM-email option in an earlier version is most likely reason for the higher claim rate. Interesting.
Tom
AAPK Administrator

bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Double-Perplexing, but it's happened again this month as now mumblypeg has also failed to respond to my PM in the allotted time and this morning I'm declaring buddyie22 as the new winner of that beautiful Schrade custom with Sambar Stag Covers that SafdE26 (Jack) donated. Hopefully buddyie22 will visit AAPK and see my PM waiting for him to claim the prize. Please join me in congratulating our new winner! ::ds::

I hope mumblypeg is OK, he was last active on AAPK on Thursday July 1, most likely to check the giveaway winner. ::facepalm:: It's good that this is a monthly giveaway since it looks like it's going to take a month to give this one away. Come on buddyie22, we are all cheering you on!
Tom
AAPK Administrator

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Tom, I think you could cut down on the "no shows" by also sending the winner an email. Yes, it's double duty for you and no, you shouldn't need to go the extra mile but people being people......... ::dang:: JMHO
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

jerryd6818 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:24 amcut down on the "no shows" by also sending the winner an email. Yes, it's double duty for you and no, you shouldn't need to go the extra mile...
I'd have no problem sending an email in addition to a PM Jerry (or call or text for that matter) but part of Bryan's purpose of the AAPK PM ONLY in the rules is to drive participants back to the site to see the results thereby increasing website traffic. However, tripping-up our own for the sake of website traffic is a topic that I will raise with Bryan because I think since we all are members here and not just anonymous giveaway participants that we should prioritize giveaway claims ahead of website traffic (JMO).

Interestingly enough, everyone here could have (or has been) emailed any monthly winner to answer the AAPK PM and claim the knife - I would have no way of knowing if that has ever happened but I imagine it has and it has helped a member claim their knife.

Anybody else have any thoughts on the matter? ::shrug::
Tom
AAPK Administrator

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Like herding cats. ::facepalm::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

As far as "people being people " you are right. But by not paying attention to the results, it shows a lack of interest. There certainly are legit reasons, such as not reponding because of say a car accident and being in the hospital for a week, etc. During my annual duck decoy giveaway, there are entrys 1 to 4 days after the deadline also. People not paying attention. Not sure what the solution is, but whatever is decided people have to adhere to it. And now since this has happened several times and the rules are possibly going to be changed, is it fair to the past "winners" who missed out?
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:01 pm...is it fair to the past "winners" who missed out?
thank-you for that perspective, I will add that to the dialogue with Bryan ::tu::
Tom
AAPK Administrator

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:01 pm As far as "people being people " you are right. But by not paying attention to the results, it shows a lack of interest. There certainly are legit reasons, such as not reponding because of say a car accident and being in the hospital for a week, etc. During my annual duck decoy giveaway, there are entrys 1 to 4 days after the deadline also. People not paying attention. Not sure what the solution is, but whatever is decided people have to adhere to it. And now since this has happened several times and the rules are possibly going to be changed, is it fair to the past "winners" who missed out?
Jim, I don't know so much as it's "lack of interest". Maybe it's more a fatalistic attitude of "I won't win anyway" or "I never win anything". You are correct. PEOPLE DON'T READ. Many times they just jump in the middle and start banging away at their keyboards. I think there are any number of people who open the thread, look at the picture of what's being given away and go straight to signup. ::shrug::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

bestgear wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:27 pm

Sorry Tom, just now saw this. To clarify, my comment regarding the change wasn’t intended as criticism. I was just musing/rambling on (as usual). ::facepalm:: Sorry if anyone took it as criticism.

I’m glad Jerry confirmed that’s how it used to work though. Otherwise I thought I was just having a brain fart! :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:13 pmSorry Tom, just now saw this.
I love you man ::not_worthy::
Tom
AAPK Administrator

bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Triple-Perplexing, but it's happened again this month as now buddyie22 has also failed to respond to my PM in the allotted time and this morning I'm declaring TPK as the new winner of that beautiful Schrade custom with Sambar Stag Covers that SafdE26 (Jack) donated. Hopefully TPK will visit AAPK and see my PM waiting for him to claim the prize. Please join me in congratulating our new winner! ::ds::

I also hope buddyie22 is OK, he was also a no-show winner in May 2019 ::facepalm:: and I never heard from him/her then. It's good that this is a monthly giveaway since it looks like it's going to take a month to give this one away. Come on TPK, we are all cheering you on and praying that Germany is connected to the internet today!
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Loose Arrow

Post by Loose Arrow »

TPK wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:25 pm :shock: That's a real beauty! ::tu:: Thanks very much for the chance to win such a beautiful knife! ::handshake:: ::super_happy::

And thanks to you for the organisation Tom! ::handshake:: :D
Congratulations! ::groove::
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Hey Knifers...I haven't posted in a while, been really busy. I trust everyone is doing well.

As to the PM answering criteria for the knife giveaway...I don't believe that should change, and here's my thought as to why.

There are some awesome / beautiful knives put up for the monthly giveaway, some of which many of us drool over and want to be lucky enough to win that, or any particular knife. When there is a 'winner', and that person doesn't respond in the allotted timeline, I can almost guarantee that the 'next' person in line is elated to have become the winner. We see this quite often.

None of us know or understand why a particular winner does not follow through with checking the site to see if they are the winner. None of us have any control over why a person does not respond. Yes, as friends and fellow knifers, we tend to be concerned as to why there is no response from someone...and we tend to hope for the best for them, whatever the situation. However, THAT should not be the criteria to make changes because someone doesn't come to the site to see if they won or not. No one else is responsible for someone else's lack of checking. And to take away from someone else, such as the next closest person with a winning number, (and in this month's case, 4 times now) the opportunity to gain a really nice knife by changing the rules and adding an 'email' to the PM criteria is taking something away from someone, because the 'first' (or third) winner didn't take the opportunity to follow up according to the rules. (I hope that makes sense)

If Tom (TPK) checks in, in time, I know he'll be overjoyed as the winner. If not, onward to the 5th person in line. There is a lesson in all this...DON'T stop checking in until there is a positive notification of an actual winner if you chose a number lower than the winning drawing number. The June giveaway is a prime example of this.

May the best 'check-in' person win! ::tu::
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

LJ, it sounds like you're saying "You snooze. You lose."

I have an opinion but I think it's best kept to myself. (and it's not regarding LJ's post)
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
TPK

Post by TPK »

:shock: Wow! ::woot:: I won! ::ds::

Good thing I come to the AAPK every day. ::nod:: ::groove:: ::ds::

Thanks Jack! ::handshake:: I'm a little bit speachless. What an absolutely beautiful knife! ::nod:: Thanks! ::super_happy::

Thanks also too you Tom! ::handshake:: I'll go check my P.M. right now. ::nod::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

"LJ, it sounds like you're saying "You snooze. You lose."

Well, yeah that about sums it up, Jerry. I just did the long version. ::facepalm::

CONGRATULATIONS, Tom!! ::tu:: You got yourself a very nice Custom knife.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Congrats Tom on the win! Isn't this the second time or am I thinking of a time you got bombed?
Regardless you deserve it, enjoy. :D ::tu:: ::tu::
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
TPK

Post by TPK »

dlr110 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:03 pm Congrats Tom on the win! Isn't this the second time or am I thinking of a time you got bombed?
Regardless you deserve it, enjoy. :D ::tu:: ::tu::
::paranoid:: ::shrug:: :mrgreen:

I'm signed up to donate this year also so stay tuned everyone! ::tu:: ::nod:: ::super_happy::

TPK

Post by TPK »

KLJ77 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:00 pm "LJ, it sounds like you're saying "You snooze. You lose."

Well, yeah that about sums it up, Jerry. I just did the long version. ::facepalm::

CONGRATULATIONS, Tom!! ::tu:: You got yourself a very nice Custom knife.
Thanks LJ! ::handshake:: It is a really cool win! I'm very stoked about it! ::nod:: ::super_happy::

bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

We officially have a winner and the donor has been notified (stateside shipping Tom). The lottery slogan "You can't win if you don't play" is only partially true because if you don't claim your prize you didn't win anything. I'm happy that a connection was made and that this giveaway made Tom's day. Congratulations! ::tu::
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Congratulations on a nice win Tom, even if it did take a roundabout way of getting to you! 8)
8)
TPK

Post by TPK »

Thanks for the Kind comments Gentlemen! ::handshake:: ::super_happy::

Return to “AAPK Knife Giveaways”