Let’s talk Bourbon

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Let’s talk Bourbon

Post by jerryd6818 »

During my years on the road, my favorite drink at dinner was an Old Fashion, sweet, no fruit. I guess technically that could not be considered a true Old Fashion. ::shrug::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

I believe that my thanksgiving bourbon will be Woodford Reserve, and my cigar will be a Arturo Fuente Hemingway. Turkey is optional. Have a great thanksgiving holiday everyone.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

OSCAR wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:14 pm Turkey is optional.

::rotflol:: ::tu::
Ike
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Came across this ad on the internet. This is bourbon lunacy, not snobbery. ANYONE that considers this is certifiably insane. It’s my favorite BUT I get the 10 year old for $40-50 a bottle. While the extra aging makes for smoother whiskey, the 10 year old is exceptionally smooth. NOTHING justifies these prices.
Attachments
B025D107-7AAD-447D-B929-5FCBE30F82E2.jpeg
C61AD648-77C4-4F1A-95C8-10431CFBB75D.jpeg
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

OSCAR wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:16 pm Came across this ad on the internet. This is bourbon lunacy, not snobbery. ANYONE that considers this is certifiably insane. It’s my favorite BUT I get the 10 year old for $40-50 a bottle. While the extra aging makes for smoother whiskey, the 10 year old is exceptionally smooth. NOTHING justifies these prices.
$34K and they still charge you $20 bucks for shipping??? That's just nuts all the way around. ::td:: ::td::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

OSCAR wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:16 pm Came across this ad on the internet. This is bourbon lunacy, not snobbery. ANYONE that considers this is certifiably insane. It’s my favorite BUT I get the 10 year old for $40-50 a bottle. While the extra aging makes for smoother whiskey, the 10 year old is exceptionally smooth. NOTHING justifies these prices.
Thanks for showing, just ordered 2 bottles.
Ike
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Waukonda wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:42 pm
The 25 year one. LOL. You can buy a car for that price.
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Well you could buy a bottle of Yamazaki 55 year old single malt for $843,661 iff'in you want the high end stuff. ::super_happy::
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

OSCAR wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:14 pm I believe that my thanksgiving bourbon will be Woodford Reserve, and my cigar will be a Arturo Fuente Hemingway. Turkey is optional. Have a great thanksgiving holiday everyone.
I'll probably have some Old Crow and Coke with a King Edward.
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

You ARE going to share those, correct?
::ds:: ::ds::
Protected by a large LOUD dog, and Smith & Wesson...
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Boji wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:39 pm
You ARE going to share those, correct?
::ds:: ::ds::
Boji, IF I had won the 1.9 billion dollar power ball lottery, I wouldn’t spend that much on a bottle. An idiot friend of mine bought the 17 year old for just over $1,000 a bottle. He is insane as he can’t afford it but…. he poured me a shot knowing that I love this bourbon. Honestly, I couldn’t tell a significant difference between it and the 10 year old I buy.
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

I wrenched my back at work on Tuesday and it was pretty sore this morning so I found som muscle relaxers and pain pills left over from my last go-round.
between the drugs and 2 shots of Bullet Rye, my back feels much better! :D
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

ken98k wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:25 pm
between the drugs and 2 shots of Bullet Rye, my back feels much better! :D
Better go for 3!!!
Ike
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Who's ready for more turkey? 🦃 🥃
Attachments
IMG_20221125_203328065~2.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

I’m still trying to find a way to like Buffalo Trace. Room temperature neat, no. A bit of ice, maybe. With Coke, yuck. And I’m a Beam or Jack & Coke from way back.
I must have an odd sense of taste??
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Boji wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:49 am I’m still trying to find a way to like Buffalo Trace. Room temperature neat, no. A bit of ice, maybe. With Coke, yuck. And I’m a Beam or Jack & Coke from way back.

They were drinking Buffalo Trace on the latest episode of Yellowstone, but I forget the fashion.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Boji wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:49 am I’m still trying to find a way to like Buffalo Trace. Room temperature neat, no. A bit of ice, maybe. With Coke, yuck. And I’m a Beam or Jack & Coke from way back.
Try it over ice mixed with one of the sparkling waters they sell in the grocery store. My favorite is lime. It's not a strong lime taste.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

I’ve tried Buffalo Trace and didn’t care for it. Taste is subjective. It’s not rotgut, but while it’s a very good quality bourbon, it’s as if they didn’t get it quite right. Not super expensive but not a bargain price either. There are cheaper bourbons that I prefer.
When funds are short, I usually get Henry McKenna Sour Mash or Evan Williams Bottled in Bond. Neither are world class but they are a very enjoyable drink at bargain prices. Both are about $30 for a 1.75 liter bottle.
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Wow yawl are killing me I like all the Buffalo trace wkiskeys especially the ones with the lower rye content.
I missed the Buffalo trace in Yellowstone, the one I notice they were drinking Weller which is probably my favorite bourbon although Makers is kinda hard to beat.
Had some Old Fitzgerald at the son's house the other night tasty but a little hot for me at 118 proof. I'm a believer in the drink what you like whether it's Benchmark or Pappy Van Winkle, although at the prices of Pappy ::woot:: I'll stick with Benchmark. ::handshake::
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

No bourbon for me the past couple of days cuz I got a nasty head cold. Maybe a pour tonight for “medicinal purposes”
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

OSCAR wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:37 am I’ve tried Buffalo Trace and didn’t care for it. Taste is subjective. It’s not rotgut, but while it’s a very good quality bourbon, it’s as if they didn’t get it quite right. Not super expensive but not a bargain price either. There are cheaper bourbons that I prefer.
When funds are short, I usually get Henry McKenna Sour Mash or Evan Williams Bottled in Bond. Neither are world class but they are a very enjoyable drink at bargain prices. Both are about $30 for a 1.75 liter bottle.
Almost all the time, I'm a bottom shelf kinda guy. $18 - $22 for a 1.75 Ltr. It all tastes the same to me except for maybe that Angles Envy I tried.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:38 pm
OSCAR wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:37 am I’ve tried Buffalo Trace and didn’t care for it. Taste is subjective. It’s not rotgut, but while it’s a very good quality bourbon, it’s as if they didn’t get it quite right. Not super expensive but not a bargain price either. There are cheaper bourbons that I prefer.
Almost all the time, I'm a bottom shelf kinda guy. $18 - $22 for a 1.75 Ltr. It all tastes the same to me except for maybe that Angles Envy I tried.
Jerry, what did you think of the Angel’s Envy? I’ve never tried it and I think my wife got me a bottle for Christmas.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Railsplitter wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:50 pm
Jerry, what did you think of the Angel’s Envy? I’ve never tried it and I think my wife got me a bottle for Christmas.
If I were a rich man, I'd probably drink it all the time. I don't have a discerning palette so I can't verbalize what I like about it. I guess I can say it's a bit smoother than the cheap stuff.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:06 pm

If I were a rich man, I'd probably drink it all the time. I don't have a discerning palette so I can't verbalize what I like about it. I guess I can say it's a bit smoother than the cheap stuff.
Thanks Jerry. I was worried that you might have found it appalling and I’m glad that wasn’t the case.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Railsplitter wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:12 pm
jerryd6818 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:06 pm
Thanks Jerry. I was worried that you might have found it appalling and I’m glad that wasn’t the case.
Oh no! Nothing appalling about it at all.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”