My New Book

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

My New Book

Post by dlr110 »

My ancestors on both sides of the family left very little in writing as to their lives and family history. So I can tell you the name of my grandparents for about 3 or 4 generations back but I can’t tell you anything about them. I didn’t want it to be that way with me, so several years ago I set out on this project to write my autobiography and if anybody cared about family history at least they would know something about mine. To me it’s fun and interesting to look back at your past but always remember to keep looking to the future.

So here it is finally in print and on sale at Amazon. “Looking Back But Still Moving Forward” by David Roberts.
71NNPG+AOfL.jpg
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
rea1eye

Re: My New Book

Post by rea1eye »

Good for you David. And Congratulations!

Bob
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

An admirable thing to do, David. Congratulations on the book.

I have done something similar in fits and starts. Nothing printed.
Joe
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Excellent David. Congratulations on completing this epic project.
::tu::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Good for you David ::tu:: ::tu:: Thanks for sharing.

Nev
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Congrats, David. Very cool! I'm 10 years older than my next sibling and know a lot more about our grandparents than any of my brothers and sisters. Sometimes I wish they knew more so they would have a better insight of how things were for our ancestors and their desires.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Unk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Unk »

Good job, David.

I have been doing my family genealogy for well over 20 years now. My family tree on Ancestry.com has over 5,000 people in it, 850 photos, and 120 stories associated with it. Without the stories, our ancestors are just a birth date and a death date. The stories add so much more to the tree, and finding these treasures are my favorite part of doing genealogy.
Mike

If you don't watch the news, you are uninformed. If you watch the news, you are misinformed.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Unk wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:56 am Good job, David.

I have been doing my family genealogy for well over 20 years now. My family tree on Ancestry.com has over 5,000 people in it, 850 photos, and 120 stories associated with it. Without the stories, our ancestors are just a birth date and a death date. The stories add so much more to the tree, and finding these treasures are my favorite part of doing genealogy.
Thank you Mike. You're right, many years ago I did Ancestry.com but all I was building was a list of names that had no meaning to me. It was about that time that my brother got serious about it and he is the one that made trips to court houses, cemeteries and phone calls to possible family members. I didn't have the time to join him so that's when I decided I would leave my history for future generations that might care. Sounds like you have done a fabulous job at recorded your family tree, congrats... ::tu::

dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

It's a done deal, got my author copies in the mail this morning... ::ds::
BTW that picture of me that makes up the front and back covers is one that Cheryl took when we were near the
Russian River on the Kenai, Peninsula in Alaska.
20220921_095436.jpg

MissouriGuerrilla

Post by MissouriGuerrilla »

I was a volunteer at Elmwood Cemetery, Kansas City's 2nd oldest cemetery, and once a guy come in looking for relatives from years back and he told me a quick story about his grandmother. She never wanted to talk about family history. Nothing sinister in it, she just didn't care much to talk about it. Then one day when she was 98, out of the blue, she just starts talking like a switch had been flipped and he told me he grabbed a pen and paper and started jotting down what she was saying. He said she was like a volcano oozing slow lava. :lol:
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

MissouriGuerrilla wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:30 pm I was a volunteer at Elmwood Cemetery, Kansas City's 2nd oldest cemetery, and once a guy come in looking for relatives from years back and he told me a quick story about his grandmother. She never wanted to talk about family history. Nothing sinister in it, she just didn't care much to talk about it. Then one day when she was 98, out of the blue, she just starts talking like a switch had been flipped and he told me he grabbed a pen and paper and started jotting down what she was saying. He said she was like a volcano oozing slow lava. :lol:
My brother and I wish our mother would do that. Dad is already passed but we tried to get him to talk more but that was a battle we could not win.

wlf

Post by wlf »

Pretty cool, seems you don't think too much about history until you become a part of it.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

This is very, very cool! Congrats! Do you have a link to the book on Amazon?

Edit: I found it! https://www.amazon.com/Looking-Back-Sti ... 135&sr=8-1
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Theented

Post by Theented »

Congratulations on the new book and how nice that it is on amazon, I will have to order myself. I'll probably get it along with Benito Cereno, just a great piece of work, I listened to it for a bit on https://freebooksummary.com/category/benito-cereno and wanted a paper version for my library. Maybe I'll get a couple more books so I can get them all in bulk and not have to wait too long for everything.

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”