Birds - personal observations

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Birds - personal observations

Post by Waukonda »

Very nice pics, Mel. I really like the one of the RT Hawk, and the way the light is filtering through the wing and tail feathers, superb! ::tu:: ::tu::
Ike
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Thanks, Doglegg, Ike.
Mel
Boji
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Boji »

Mel, once again great pictures. I still have a few hummingbirds but not as many as all summer long. And still drowning some bastard yellow jackets.
Had some big Canadians fly over the house about sundown today. It’s early if they were the Giant Northern ones from Canada but they sure looked bigger than the local ones.
Protected by a large LOUD dog, and Smith & Wesson...
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Thanks, Boji. We have Canadian Geese all year, too. I still remember the first time I every saw one. When I was squirrel hunting back around 1968 I spotted a pair of Canadians on a local lake. I was in my early teens and it seemed unbelievable that those geese that I had only seen in photos in Outdoor Life or Field and Stream magazines were really here.

Here are some photos of a Hummer that I snapped this afternoon. I think it is a partial albino.
Hummer
Hummer
Hummer
Hummer
At first I thought it was just an effect of the late afternoon sunlight that made it look so white. But even when I increase the contrast a lot it barely shows any color.
Hummer
Hummer
Mel
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Pretty cool, Mel.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Steve Warden wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:02 am Pretty cool, Mel.
Agree.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Mel that is amazing. Never seen anything quite like it. ::tu::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Thanks, Steve, Doglegg, and Phil! I think the Hummers are leaving to cross the Gulf right now. Just three or four days ago there were a half dozen buzzing around my feeders. Today just a couple.
Mel
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Dinadan wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:55 pm Thanks, Boji. We have Canadian Geese all year, too. I still remember the first time I every saw one. When I was squirrel hunting back around 1968 I spotted a pair of Canadians on a local lake. I was in my early teens and it seemed unbelievable that those geese that I had only seen in photos in Outdoor Life or Field and Stream magazines were really here.

Here are some photos of a Hummer that I snapped this afternoon. I think it is a partial albino.
Hummer11.jpg
Hummer12.jpg
At first I thought it was just an effect of the late afternoon sunlight that made it look so white. But even when I increase the contrast a lot it barely shows any color.
Hummer14.jpg
That's a very interesting Hummer! Partial albino seems to describe it quite well. Is it sitting in some sort of citrus tree?
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

treefarmer wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:10 am That's a very interesting Hummer! Partial albino seems to describe it quite well. Is it sitting in some sort of citrus tree?
Treefarmer
The Hummer is sitting in a Satsuma tree. I have five citrus trees in my back yard, which produce more fruit than we (my family) eats from October to January. The last couple of years the raccoons have started eating them, so they do not last as long.

There are still a couple of Hummers hanging around. Most are gone: hopefully they caught a good breeze to Yucatan over the past couple of weeks. It is not looking too nice north of Yucatan right now.
Hummer
Hummer
Here is a Flycatcher that has appeared in my back yard this week. After looking at my bird guide, I am not going to give it a species name.
Flycatcher
Flycatcher
Flycatcher
Flycatcher
Flycatcher
Flycatcher
I still have not seen many birds that are unequivocally migrants. Anyone here seeing much migration activity?
Mel
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Thanks Mel
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

Dinadan wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:00 pm

Here is a Flycatcher that has appeared in my back yard this week.

I still have not seen many birds that are unequivocally migrants. Anyone here seeing much migration activity?
I am casting my vote for "Acadian Flycatcher". It has the double wing bars and another telltale characteristic, the bicolor bill. One of your excellent pics clearly shows a dark upper bill, and orange lower.

In regards to migration, this has been one of the quietest fall migrations that I can recall. All of the local summer residents are long gone, and after some early September Warblers moving through, there has been little else. I notice, for whatever reason, that when I check the migration map, most days the major activity is West of me and a little West of the mississippi. I have not seen it to this extent before. I am about 30-40 miles East of the Mississippi and have always had heavy migration numbers. ::shrug::
Ike
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

Drove by some Turkeys in the changing Hickories, managed a couple of quick pics.
Attachments
VideoCapture_20221013-170643.jpg
VideoCapture_20221013-170540.jpg
Ike
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Thanks, Doglegg and Ike.
Waukonda wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:59 pm I am casting my vote for "Acadian Flycatcher". It has the double wing bars and another telltale characteristic, the bicolor bill. One of your excellent pics clearly shows a dark upper bill, and orange lower.
You may be correct. The lack of an eye ring made me consider Willow Flycatcher. Flycatchers are one of the groups that I have a hard time feeling certain about.

Nice shots of those Turkeys. And the Hickories look very autumnal. Perfect October stuff!
Mel
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Here's the resident Hereon at the pond I visit daily.
Attachments
tempImage3XVB08.jpg
Joe
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Here are some pictures of a few days ago.
I made an effort to look them up but could not devote much time to that so I still don't know what they are.
I think the one in the middle is a Song Sparrow. --?
Attachments
CE8BBE3D-6A2E-4261-8D6D-272EBC2BC01F.jpeg
0B67B5C4-481A-402F-9FB7-809B5E77E294.jpeg
542F375F-17D3-44F2-8F73-0149C823E49F.jpeg
Joe
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Great pics fellas!
Reminds me, if I want to see any birds around the feeder, I gotta get out to Tractor Supply for more seed!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

FRJ wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:37 pm Here are some pictures of a few days ago.
I made an effort to look them up but could not devote much time to that so I still don't know what they are.
I think the one in the middle is a Song Sparrow. --?
As always, nice pics, Joe!
I thought maybe the 1st of the 3 birds could be a female Yellow Bellied Flycatcher, but it may be too big, hard to judge the size from a picture. Why didn't you hold a quarter next to it for reference when you took it? :lol: The females are pretty plain like that one, and they are common migrants this time of year ( in the Midwest anyway).
Last bird is a White Throated Sparrow. They are Winter visitors only, in my area, haven't yet seen any here. You may live far enough North to be in their year round range. ::shrug::
Ike
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Nice Heron shot, Joe.

And the three songbirds are very good photos. First one is Northern Mockingbird, third one I agree with Ike it is a White Throated Sparrow. I have not seen any of either sparrow species in my area so far this fall. But I am hoping that this cold front brings some more migrants.

Ike, I am guessing that you are just barely outside the common range of the Mockingbird. It is the most common of all suburban birds in my area, so I see them daily, if not hourly!
Mel
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

Dinadan wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:24 pm Nice Heron shot, Joe.

And the three songbirds are very good photos. First one is Northern Mockingbird, third one I agree with Ike it is a White Throated Sparrow. I have not seen any of either sparrow species in my area so far this fall. But I am hoping that this cold front brings some more migrants.

Ike, I am guessing that you are just barely outside the common range of the Mockingbird. It is the most common of all suburban birds in my area, so I see them daily, if not hourly!
I had actually considered Mockingbird, but couldn't see the length of the tail in the photo. Are they year round residents for you? When I was young we always had Mockingbirds around the yard, they would always attack me during nesting season. I seldom see them the last few years, Catbirds are scarce too......for whatever reason.
Ike
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you so much, Steve and Ike and Mel.
I appreciate the comments. ::tu::
Joe
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

This morning my wife and I took the boat out for some fishing. The temperature was about 45 degrees when we launched. Beautifully sunny and very calm. Birds everywhere. We saw an Eagle right away, and Ospreys all the time. I snapped a few few photos of various birds, none of which turned out as good as I hoped.

First photo is some White Pelicans.
White Pelicans
White Pelicans
Oops, that is a typical photo of mine, but here is another try.
White Pelicans
White Pelicans
Here is a fellow fisherman, an Osprey.
Osprey
Osprey
There were lots of wading birds along the edge of the marsh. Egrets, Ibis, Herons.
Egrets and Ibis
Egrets and Ibis
Herons
Herons
This is not a bird, but what the heck.
Red Drum
Red Drum
Really, this was just a very nice day. The kind of day that makes a man feel like he has been given a gift from Someone.
Mel
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Great pictures, Mel.
A real gift of a day!
Joe
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Great pics Mel.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

FRJ wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:08 am Here's the resident Hereon at the pond I visit daily.
Joe the colors you captured in the background of this photo are as perfect a fall mix as I've ever seen. Wonderful picture!
::tu::

Mel you're living a bird lovers dream. Thanks for the pics. ::tu::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”